Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to sell my Clio but I've never sold a car before. What is the usual protocol?

Will the person expect to test drive it before parting with money? Do I need to see insurance for this? Do people always take cash right?

EDIT: also, anyone made mistakes I can learn from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowdeni)
    I'm going to sell my Clio but I've never sold a car before. What is the usual protocol?

Will the person expect to test drive it before parting with money? Do I need to see insurance for this? Do people always take cash right?

the usual protocol is to sell it to me for a fiver (with a full tank of fuel)

ReputationRep:

They will expect to test drive it. It is up to you if you insure it, if not you have to make sure they have a fully comp policy. Either that or just let them - the police wont tag you on a test drive.

Some people will want to pay in different ways just make sure that the money has cleared before you let them have your motor.

ReputationRep:
    They'll expect you to take them for a test drive, with them in the car.

Don't under any circumstances let them drive unless:

a. They prove they have insurance which covers them third party to drive your car, and they are prepared to leave a cash deposit to the full value of the car.

...or...

b. They can prove they have fully comprehensive insurance cover to them to drive your car (the chance of this is virtually nil).

My preference for payment is for the buyer to hand you a load of cash, which you then hand to somebody else to count and confirm genuine. Check all notes - a few genuine top notes, followed by forgeries underneath is not uncommon. Get somebody else to do the count beside you, whilst you fill in the relevant sections of the V5. This shows the buyer you're not going to short count and avoids the uncomfortable silence that occurs if you count the money yourself!

Other option is to take the buyer down to the bank when sale agreed, he withdraws the money in front of you, you then pocket the cash. That way you know it's genuine and the right amount.

Final option is to let the buyer do an electronic bank transfer, which tends to be instant these days if both your banks are in the Faster Payment Scheme. Call/log in to bank to check money is in your account, then release car.

Personally I wouldn't take a cheque or banker's draft - too much potential for forgeries/reversals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    They will expect to test drive it. It is up to you if you insure it, if not you have to make sure they have a fully comp policy. Either that or just let them - the police wont tag you on a test drive.

Some people will want to pay in different ways just make sure that the money has cleared before you let them have your motor.
    Why the hell would you insure it for them?? Just take them out with them in the passenger seat

ReputationRep:
    Yes people will expect a test drive. I don't think anyone will buy your car without one. You should ask for insurance documents but from the numerous times over the years I've been to look at cars with family no ones ever asked to prove insurance.

Whether the payment is made by cash or not is upto you, if you want to accept it, and upto the buyer, if they want to pay in cash.

I would never accept cash for a large sum as I wouldn't be able to (nor have the patience) to count them all, which you would definitely have to do. Some people happily accept it. My cousin recently purchasd a car, he alerted the bank in the area the car was in that he was going to look at a car and may need to withdraw cash, he saw the car and liked it and withdrew 22k cash and paid the guy. The buyer was fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Yes people will expect a test drive. I don't think anyone will buy your car without one. You should ask for insurance documents but from the numerous times over the years I've been to look at cars with family no ones ever asked to prove insurance.
    Risky. Hit anybody or set off an ANPR and both driver and owner will get a nice 6 points on their licences and a hefty fine.

Up to the OP if he wants to risk it I suppose, but I wouldn't. Especially considering the potential buyer will be driving 'enthusiastically' if on a test drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Risky. Hit anybody or set off an ANPR and both driver and owner will get a nice 6 points on their licences and a hefty fine.

Up to the OP if he wants to risk it I suppose, but I wouldn't. Especially considering the potential buyer will be driving 'enthusiastically' if on a test drive.
    We always had insurance. We were just never asked, so we could have been driving without insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    We always had insurance. We were just never asked, so we could have been driving without insurance.
    You had a trusting seller then! It would be nice if everybody was as diligent as you and made sure they had sufficient insurance. But lots don't.

Don't forget that as the registered keeper, if you let somebody drive your car who doesn't have insurance, you can get a load of points on your license just for letting them drive uninsured. I'd trust a mate if he told me he had insurance, but not a total stranger.

If I were test driving, I'd fully expect to be asked to provide proof of insurance, or be asked to hop in the passenger seat. No reasonable person could grumble at that.

ReputationRep:

You should make sure that you have insurance on it and that they, if they drive, have an insurance policy that allows them to drive other cars with the owners' permission (my policy states very clearly that I can, ask to see theirs. Oddly I've never actually been asked to provide this, people just take my word for it but taking a potential buyers word for it is a very bad idea! Some people are not so honest). Be warned with this though, it won't be fully comp.

Cash is always better to take, saves the hassle of waiting until a cheque or whatever comes through to make sure they actually have the funds.

ReputationRep:
    cash or GTFO in my book. no test rides/drives unless deposit of full amount it left. up to them to insure themselves. have some mates over incase they decide to either take the car, then rob back the money they just payed you, or come back that evening to steal the car/bike.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for these replies. Seems a bit of a headache. Very tempted to just take it to a garage and sell it that way. I realise I will get about 20% less?

It's only a £1.5k Clio.

(Original post by crazyjoyce)
    cash or GTFO in my book. no test rides/drives unless deposit of full amount it left. up to them to insure themselves. have some mates over incase they decide to either take the car, then rob back the money they just payed you, or come back that evening to steal the car/bike.
    I'm not giving you money to have a ride in the car lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I'm not giving you money to have a ride in the car lmao.
    then GTFO! part ex the car and you can forget about the private sale crap

ReputationRep:
    I don't need a car full stop; that's why I'm selling.

then GTFO! part ex the car and you can forget about the private sale crap
    Erm I brought a car perfectly fine after the guy took me out with him driving. I wasn't handing £1.6k over to do that. If I was driving sure.

I don't need a car full stop; that's why I'm selling.
    Are you insured on it?

ReputationRep:
    Erm I brought a car perfectly fine after the guy took me out with him driving. I wasn't handing £1.6k over to do that. If I was driving sure.
    if they drive its a different story! but as its so easy to mask problems if you know about them, i'd want to drive the car im about to buy myself.

if they drive its a different story! but as its so easy to mask problems if you know about them, i'd want to drive the car im about to buy myself.
    Sorry, thought when you said test ride/drive that the ride was if you were not driving.

Well it was my first car, I did the general things like moving the steering wheel and if it clicks or whatever, so I wasn't too fussed about small problems.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, thought when you said test ride/drive that the ride was if you were not driving.

Well it was my first car, I did the general things like moving the steering wheel and if it clicks or whatever, so I wasn't too fussed about small problems.
    say the car jumped out of 3rd gear, or wouldnt go into 4th etc... as the owner driving the buyer, you just miss those gears and drive around the problem, but if you drive it for yourself, you'll soon find out if such problems exist.

better to find out and walk away than buy blind and realise half way home

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.