Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've decided to start teaching myself german through my heritage
    and have come upon something I can't wrap my head around straight away :P After 3 days of trying but I will figure this out.

But I have German for Dummies book and within the beginning section about verbs it says an example;

Meine Freudin sagt, dass sie nach Danemark Fahrt (sorry don't know how to do accents on this)

But within this there are two verbs and from basic sentence structure the verb is in the second place 'sagt' but why is 'sagt' more important then 'fahrt' and with more complex sentences where a number of verbs come up where would they appear within the structure ? ?

Danke Schon
    JacobDatz

ReputationRep:
    There are two clauses in this sentence. 'Meine Freundin sagt' and 'dass...' you wouldn't take the verb from the first clause and shove it some where in the second, as it wouldn't make sense.
    Use of 'dass' always moves the verb that follows it ('fahrt' in this example) to the end of the clause that contains 'dass'.

ReputationRep:
    Errm if you have more than one verb in a sentance the first verb is conjugated and the second verb goes to the end as the infinitive. e.g Ich muss meine Hausaufgaben machen - I must/have to do my homework. You sentace is fine, dass will only affect the second clause's verb Is that what you wanted to know I wasn't sure if that what you were asking:confused:

ReputationRep:
    To do accents you can write: Meine Freundin sagt, dass sie nach Danemark faehrt. You just need to write an e after the vowel that needs an umlaut.

Word order is one of those tricky things in German. Conjunctions often mean that a verb will go to the end, but it's not the case with all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacobdatz)
    Hey

I've decided to start teaching myself german through my heritage
    and have come upon something I can't wrap my head around straight away :P After 3 days of trying but I will figure this out.

But I have German for Dummies book and within the beginning section about verbs it says an example;

Meine Freudin sagt, dass sie nach Danemark Fahrt (sorry don't know how to do accents on this)

But within this there are two verbs and from basic sentence structure the verb is in the second place 'sagt' but why is 'sagt' more important then 'fahrt' and with more complex sentences where a number of verbs come up where would they appear within the structure ? ?

Danke Schon
    JacobDatz
    Imagine that the comma is like a wall - all the rules about the sentence (verb second, dass kicks the verb to the end etc) stop at the comma. It's like 2 separate sentences, only the comma is there instead of a full stop.

Hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.