Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying Friend watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have an incredibly stingy friend who's incredibly tight with money. Can't get a ride anywhere without being charged for fuel money (even though he's going there himself), always asks for money for even the smallest of favours down to the penny, always splits everything down to the penny, won't do anything unless he wants to, always complaining about cost, etc etc

Have I got a right to be annoyed? He's not a bad person in general, but ALWAYS puts money as his main priority before his friends. I can't help wanting a more generous and less tight (for lack of a better word) friend? Not even that, just someone who doesn't care so much about money? I'm definitely not asking much, I do so many favours for free and I'm generally a laid back and generous guy, I guess I just want more of a..friend...who's a friend.

Or am I the problem? Anyone have similar friends? how to deal with them?

ReputationRep:
    If it annoys you so much, why not find your own way to and from places where you are going and say you'll meet him there? And avoid lending/borrowing money from him, that way you don't owe each other anything.
    Failing that, talk to him about it - maybe it's the way he's been raised and doesn't know it rubs you up in such a bad way.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him he's a tight-ass and should loosen up.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. I'm slightly like this but not in such an extreme way. I won't ask for petrol if I'm already going there but I would expect a chip in on parking. Similarly when I go out to dinner I like to only pay for what i eat rather then splitting the bill in half, mainly because I only really like water but I don't like bottled so always get tap water when my friends end up spending £5/6 each on drinks...for which i could get another dessert or starter for.

I tend to loosen up a bit, and say just split the bill in half even if my friend has had loads more, if I'm earning a lot of money and not spending so much. Perhaps your friend has a difficult financial situation and has to literally watch his pennies. My friends tend to get all their money off their parents so they don't care about a few quid when I do because that few quid is equal to me working for half an hour or so! so perhaps just think about his situation a bit but he is a bit extreme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gez1990)
    If it annoys you so much, why not find your own way to and from places where you are going and say you'll meet him there? And avoid lending/borrowing money from him, that way you don't owe each other anything.
    Failing that, talk to him about it - maybe it's the way he's been raised and doesn't know it rubs you up in such a bad way.
    He always comes up with petty excuses and I end up having to pick him up . I never charge for this either. I get pretty pissed about this, and he probably doesn't realise it, but I can't seem to just tell him about it without fearing I might sound somewhat of an over emotional *****.

ReputationRep:
    This kind of thing gets on my nerves, I'd probably be as pissed off as you.

ReputationRep:
    *****slap him silly, the guy sounds tighter than a ducks arse in water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    hmmm. I'm slightly like this but not in such an extreme way. I won't ask for petrol if I'm already going there but I would expect a chip in on parking. Similarly when I go out to dinner I like to only pay for what i eat rather then splitting the bill in half, mainly because I only really like water but I don't like bottled so always get tap water when my friends end up spending £5/6 each on drinks...for which i could get another dessert or starter for.

I tend to loosen up a bit, and say just split the bill in half even if my friend has had loads more, if I'm earning a lot of money and not spending so much. Perhaps your friend has a difficult financial situation and has to literally watch his pennies. My friends tend to get all their money off their parents so they don't care about a few quid when I do because that few quid is equal to me working for half an hour or so! so perhaps just think about his situation a bit but he is a bit extreme
    I would really understand if he was in a difficult financial situation. But he's not. He still lives with his parents and his family has 4 cars, of which he drives the newest and most expensive one. In fact, he's better off than I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pimpman777)
    I would really understand if he was in a difficult financial situation. But he's not. He still lives with his parents and his family has 4 cars, of which he drives the newest and most expensive one. In fact, he's better off than I am.
    ok then hes just a tight bas**** lol....he might just have the mentality that to be rich you got to be tight...thats what my dad is like which is why I think I'm like that. Maybe his dad is the same

ReputationRep:
    ok then hes just a tight bas**** lol....he might just have the mentality that to be rich you got to be tight...thats what my dad is like which is why I think I'm like that. Maybe his dad is the same
    You probably have that right. I don't know much about his dad but from what I've heard he's just as bad.

We've booked some tickets to a concert with him and some other friends (I'm driving, what a surprise), and I'm really feeling quite bad about it, I just don't feel like its a friendly hang-out thing anymore

ReputationRep:
    You probably have that right. I don't know much about his dad but from what I've heard he's just as bad.

We've booked some tickets to a concert with him and some other friends (I'm driving, what a surprise), and I'm really feeling quite bad about it, I just don't feel like its a friendly hang-out thing anymore
    maybe just say something and be like look mate i dont make you pay up everytime you get in my car. cant we just agree to take it in turns driving. he might explain why hes like that or he might at least realise hes like that cos he might not know

ReputationRep:
    maybe just say something and be like look mate i dont make you pay up everytime you get in my car. cant we just agree to take it in turns driving. he might explain why hes like that or he might at least realise hes like that cos he might not know
    Thanks, I'll try speak to him about it

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I get pissed of at really tight people :/
    Tell him to loosen up a bit!

ReputationRep:
    tbf if hes paying for petrol he has the right to ask for money whether hes going there himself or not

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean he has a lot of spare cash, their money may be tied up in a house etc.

If it annoys you, just don't do anything with him that'll result in you owing him money.

ReputationRep:
    steal his wallet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Doesn't mean he has a lot of spare cash, their money may be tied up in a house etc.

If it annoys you, just don't do anything with him that'll result in you owing him money.
    actually this guys right....I read what you said before as he has 4 cars for some reason... My familys rich but since Ive been 16 my parents have encouraged me to get a job and when i turned 18 I got no allowance at all so at first people may think Im rich but really i provide it all myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    tbf if hes paying for petrol he has the right to ask for money whether hes going there himself or not
    Tbh, no, he's the only person who actually cares about petrol money. We never charge for such small things. I don't see why he should be so tight about we. We are friends after all.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, no, he's the only person who actually cares about petrol money. We never charge for such small things. I don't see why he should be so tight about we. We are friends after all.
    just because hes your mate doesnt mean he should have to taxi you round FOR FREE!

i dont drive and at the time neither did any but one of my mates so if we were going somewhere in the car we would always chip in for petrol, she never asked but we always did it most of the time she wouldnt take it so we used to leave it in her car or slip it in her bag, why? because we knew that she didnt HAVE to take us places and we wanted to be kind, we also wernt selfish enough to think that just because shes our friend and she drives doesnt mean it gave us the right to be taken places for nowt

ReputationRep:
    actually this guys right....I read what you said before as he has 4 cars for some reason... My familys rich but since Ive been 16 my parents have encouraged me to get a job and when i turned 18 I got no allowance at all so at first people may think Im rich but really i provide it all myself.
    Guy? :p:

Yeah, I have a friend who assumes I'm very well off because my parents do okay financially, but I haven't had an allowance/pocket money from my parents since the age of about 13, and TBH they never really did do that that often. Everything I buy, is with my own money - clothes, textbooks, food in school. Said friend has a job of similar pay and gets an allowance, so they're actually the better off. For now, haha, I'm planning on getting more jobs or I'll never afford uni!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.