Turn on thread page Beta

9 year old becomes one of the world's youngest mothers! watch

ReputationRep:
    ew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No worries, I understand and I (mostly) agree.

Chances are it was rape, but that being said there are other factors too like what I have stated.

The drug rape isn't an apt comparison because it's not a concious decision, much like that one sleep disorder that makes you rape people in your sleep (I forget it's name but it does exist). In what I just said the supposed rapist isn't making the concious decision to go through with it and is thus more comparable.

The diminished mental capacity is more apt though:yep:

As for common knowledge....to be honest many things are common knowledge but that doesn't necessarily make them right 100% of the time, a single cosmo magazine could invalidate that:p:

If the boy is her age though (if there is a boy and not some sicko) then i think the plot does thicken (who raped who in that case?). Also I personally think there is a good chance (by which I mean at least 20% chance) that twas a boy and not an adult who did it....

As per above, the only reason I say it may not be rape is because if (and that is an if) there is a boy which is her age or younger or slightly (say 1 year) older then it is a question of who raped who (assuming superficial 'consent') and it gets to just be pointless to discuss

I don't think you necessarily have to have an "aggressor" for the sex to be non-consensual, and in my opinion therefore rape. Rape may not be the right word in that context given that it has come to have a general meaning of more than simply non-consensual sex, but I think that has more to do with the way we view sexual violence in our society than anything else.
    I think we pretty much agree to be honest - the only point I was trying to emphasise was that regardless of the boy's age, and of any external factors, that doesn't mitigate the fact that her being 9 makes it impossible for her to have given consent. If the boy is also of a similar age, this applies to him too - in that case I don't think one of them has to be labelled a rapist in order to recognise that the situation is mutually unhealthy and non-consensual.

In terms of the drugs analogy, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - in the case of the victim being unconscious, then yes, it would be a bad one, but for a drug that has lowered their inhibitions and capacity for logical thought, I think it's essentially the same issue of diminished capacity. If you meant that the difference is the concious intent of the rapist, then I still think it works, with the implication that the rapist was the one to administer the drug, a concious decision on their part. In the case of it being someone else to have sex with the victim, then if they were aware of the victim's diminished capacity I still think it's very much rape, and even if not, the victim is left in a position of having experienced non-consensual sex, which in my opinion makes them a rape victim :dontknow:

sorry for the essay :p:

(Original post by chloemo14)
    I don't think you necessarily have to have an "aggressor" for the sex to be non-consensual, and in my opinion therefore rape. Rape may not be the right word in that context given that it has come to have a general meaning of more than simply non-consensual sex, but I think that has more to do with the way we view sexual violence in our society than anything else.
    I think we pretty much agree to be honest - the only point I was trying to emphasise was that regardless of the boy's age, and of any external factors, that doesn't mitigate the fact that her being 9 makes it impossible for her to have given consent. If the boy is also of a similar age, this applies to him too - in that case I don't think one of them has to be labelled a rapist in order to recognise that the situation is mutually unhealthy and non-consensual.

In terms of the drugs analogy, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - in the case of the victim being unconscious, then yes, it would be a bad one, but for a drug that has lowered their inhibitions and capacity for logical thought, I think it's essentially the same issue of diminished capacity. If you meant that the difference is the concious intent of the rapist, then I still think it works, with the implication that the rapist was the one to administer the drug, a concious decision on their part. In the case of it being someone else to have sex with the victim, then if they were aware of the victim's diminished capacity I still think it's very much rape, and even if not, the victim is left in a position of having experienced non-consensual sex, which in my opinion makes them a rape victim :dontknow:

sorry for the essay :p:

We do agree:yep:

As for the drug one, sorry didn't make myself clear. The difference between that and the girl in OP is that drug one is unconcious, rohypnol is a powerful sedative + causes amnesia.... I was given diazepam (simmilar) when i had my wisdom teeth removed.... to this day I have no clue what happened that monday...it is lost to me...apparently i drew on walls with ice cream and asked my gf at the time to marry me So I think intent ought to be taken into consideration.

But yes I meant rape in the social context in which it is used, just because it's easier:yep:

But yes if there was a boy then neither of them would have been able to consent.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-baby-boy.html

:eek:

I'm not a huge fan of the Daily Fail Mail, but found this pretty shocking! Makes Alfie Patten look old doesn't it :p:

(Apologies if this is old news, I couldn't find any other threads on it.)
    dayumm surely thats not good.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If the family have gone to the police they clearly think it was rape? That's pretty sad though.

I know plenty of girls that started their periods at 8/9 by the way, it's not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least they can go out clubbing together and not get any strange looks.

ReputationRep:
    Poor little girl I really feel for her. Someone should have let her have the child aborted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkmn)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._birth_mothers

Youngest mother to give birth was 5 years old.
    WTF!!!!!

Why are so many of them in South America? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-baby-boy.html

:eek:

I'm not a huge fan of the Daily Fail Mail, but found this pretty shocking! Makes Alfie Patten look old doesn't it :p:

(Apologies if this is old news, I couldn't find any other threads on it.)
    Whoa...that is not what I expected.

A 9-year old girl? Hmm...not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    poor little girl.
    what do you mean, she done it. It needs shooting, filth like that (the child I mean, THE child, as in the "mother" of the baby)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    what do you mean, she done it. It needs shooting, filth like that (the child I mean, THE child, as in the "mother" of the baby)
    are you being sarcastic or you just a complete and utter ****.
    She had go through the experience of being raped, then through pregnancy and then give birth to her child! It's hard for a 30 year old woman let alone a 9 year old child!!

ReputationRep:
    **** :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    well ermmm that's gonna have weird results then isn't it! imagine the social implications like srsly ermmmm what on earth have the people around her thought/are thinking? but erm i'm not judging cos i don't know the case but blimey ...one thing to say: thankfully it was C section!

ReputationRep:
    Who's the ******* dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    This. I'm kind of shocked that anyone could take the attitude that it only 'might' have been rape. Of course it was; 'consent' isn't a concept that applies when you're talking about nine year old children.
    What about if it was with another 9 year old? They both raped each other? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkmn)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._birth_mothers

Youngest mother to give birth was 5 years old.
    "2005: A (9 year old) girl gave birth to a baby boy by caesarean section at a hospital in Butare, Rwanda, in December 2005. The child, who underwent Breast devolopment at age six and Menarche at age eight, became pregnant after being raped by her family's domestic servant."

WTF!!:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    wow..i dont know what to say.. thatsz such a shame.. and da fact that no1 knows how it happend makes it worse

ReputationRep:
    She could be a grandmother by the time she's my age!
    The whole thing is just disturbing.

(Original post by theonetheonly)
    **** :teehee:
    :nooo:

Are you the dad? :eyeball:

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.