Turn on thread page Beta

I've heard that American universities are really good...
    Are there any good universities for dentistry in America to go to?
    and are they worth moving countries for..?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they - I may be wrong...post-grad in the United States. You have to do say a biology degree and then do dentistry. PLus I also believe they are expensive....I may be wrong again though.

ReputationRep:
    ^ He's right, post grad and bloody expensive.

ReputationRep:
    yep as above, you need to have done another degree first and it costs lots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudentGKT)
    yep as above, you need to have done another degree first and it costs lots!
    You have to do an undergrad degree first and sit for DATs and if you have a high score and manage to get in then you do a four year degree in Dentistry. The schools are absolutely brilliant. Each year at a good uni costs between 40 000 and 60 000 dollars and you'd have 8 years of that.

(Original post by aeneas745)
    You have to do an undergrad degree first and sit for DATs and if you have a high score and manage to get in then you do a four year degree in Dentistry. The schools are absolutely brilliant. Each year at a good uni costs between 40 000 and 60 000 dollars and you'd have 8 years of that.

why 8 years? you just said it was 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
    why 8 years? you just said it was 4?
    u need to have an undegraduate degree in order to gain admission in a us dental school. dentistry is a postgraduate route in the us. plus ur first degree must be coming from a us accredited institution, otherwise most of the unis wouldnt accept it.. plus for state schools u need to be a us citizen, otherwise u cant get in..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kp7)
    u need to have an undegraduate degree in order to gain admission in a us dental school. dentistry is a postgraduate route in the us. plus ur first degree must be coming from a us accredited institution, otherwise most of the unis wouldnt accept it.. plus for state schools u need to be a us citizen, otherwise u cant get in..
    Are any English Unis accredited by the US institutions? Can't we go as International students?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denthrax)
    Are any English Unis accredited by the US institutions? Can't we go as International students?
    Thanks.
    it doesnt matter if its english, or chinese or i dont know what.. if its a foreigh degree, then u must have ur trancripts evaluated by ECE, to get the US equivalent semesters/hours, then you will need to enroll at an american university in order to complete any missing prereqs.. i think that the unis that wouyld accept an application from foreign students are usually the private ones.. un penn, columbia university...u need to contact the admissions office of the schools by yourself so that they can advise u on what u need to do..

however, u can always get ur dental degree in england and then do 2 years of the foreign-trained dentists program, u get the american DDS/DMD and you can practice in the US..

keep in mind that in the US , whatever is done outside of the US is considered inferior, even if it is Cambridge/Oxford.. be prepared to work hard, u need to prove urself double/triple compared to a us graduate..

however, with the right determination/hard work and sometimes a good connection, u achieve your goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kp7)
    it doesnt matter if its english, or chinese or i dont know what.. if its a foreigh degree, then u must have ur trancripts evaluated by ECE, to get the US equivalent semesters/hours, then you will need to enroll at an american university in order to complete any missing prereqs.. i think that the unis that wouyld accept an application from foreign students are usually the private ones.. un penn, columbia university...u need to contact the admissions office of the schools by yourself so that they can advise u on what u need to do..

however, u can always get ur dental degree in england and then do 2 years of the foreign-trained dentists program, u get the american DDS/DMD and you can practice in the US..

keep in mind that in the US , whatever is done outside of the US is considered inferior, even if it is Cambridge/Oxford.. be prepared to work hard, u need to prove urself double/triple compared to a us graduate..

however, with the right determination/hard work and sometimes a good connection, u achieve your goals.
    I didn't know about the two year option at all! Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Its very hard to get in for the two year option and two years is being optimistic - its usually a 3 year option with very few doing 2 years. You will pay full private fees and join the dental students of that year. I'm going to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Its very hard to get in for the two year option and two years is being optimistic - its usually a 3 year option with very few doing 2 years. You will pay full private fees and join the dental students of that year. I'm going to do it.
    u have good chances since u r a us citizen...

ReputationRep:
    How much does the private fee tend to be?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denthrax)
    How much does the private fee tend to be?
    Thanks.
    a whole year may cost from 70.000-100.000 usd including housing/fees/books etc..u may wanna go online and check it urself. pick a dental school u would like to go and check under international-trained dentists prograM.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kp7)
    a whole year may cost from 70.000-100.000 usd including housing/fees/books etc..u may wanna go online and check it urself. pick a dental school u would like to go and check under international-trained dentists prograM.
    good luck
    Thanks for the info.
    Good luck to you too!

^ thank you for the information

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.