Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend is really ignorant about muslims - help please! watch

Please keep anon.

I love my boyfriend very much, and he has very few negative qualities. However, every so often, his ignorance shines through - and it's really starting to get to me.

He says he "hates muslims" and makes generalised comments about how they are "all terrorists" and even goes so far as to suggest that they are "subhuman".

Obviously this is complete and utter ignorance on his part, fed by the media creating unfair stereotypes, and I'm getting really frustrated trying to explain to him that actually, a very minor portion of muslims are the extremists which he describes, and actually, they don't want to kill us all... he just simply doesn't believe me.

How can I get him to understand? I'm at the end of my tether. I'm generally tolerant as a person, but this level of ignorance is really testing me, and it's a huge shame because he's so perfect in almost every other way

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon.

I love my boyfriend very much, and he has very few negative qualities. However, every so often, his ignorance shines through - and it's really starting to get to me.

He says he "hates muslims" and makes generalised comments about how they are "all terrorists" and even goes so far as to suggest that they are "subhuman".

Obviously this is complete and utter ignorance on his part, fed by the media creating unfair stereotypes, and I'm getting really frustrated trying to explain to him that actually, a very minor portion of muslims are the extremists which he describes, and actually, they don't want to kill us all... he just simply doesn't believe me.

How can I get him to understand? I'm at the end of my tether. I'm generally tolerant as a person, but this level of ignorance is really testing me, and it's a huge shame because he's so perfect in almost every other way

Thanks x
    Use sex as an educational tool?

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon.

Thanks x
    Take him to Turkey. It's a Muslim state and then it becomes clear that the extremists are the minority. I was told by a Turk that the men with head-robes (whatever they are called) aren't allowed in the country as they are known as trouble makers. And if they do enter the country....mercs are hired to tidy them up I kid you not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Take him to Turkey. It's a Muslim state and then it becomes clear that the extremists are the minority. I was told by a Turk that the men with head-robes (whatever they are called) aren't allowed in the country as they are known as trouble makers. And if they do enter the country....mercs are hired to tidy them up I kid you not.
    Still suspicious much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Still suspicious much?
    Yeah I didn't enquire as to what that meant, but clearly if that's what a Muslim state thinks, I think it'd be good for OP's bf to see both sides of the story. Plus Hijab's are illegal in government offices in Turkey - the PM tried to uplift that law and was effectively rendered powerless by the guys above him for trying.

ReputationRep:
    Your bf sounds like a fan dan.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon.

Thanks x
    Wow, you're muslim and you have a boyfriend...? Can he even see what you look like? :woo: :eek3: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    let him think what he wants

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just tools. Why anyone would want to go out with a tool is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    What a bloke!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.