The Student Room Group
Reply 1
let tan(theta) = x?
Jingers
let tan(theta) = x?

Yes, but how can I find the factors in order to factorise this.
also please note, I am NOT allowed to use a calculator,
Anyone thought of a way to do it?
Reply 4
any divisor of the form (x-a) has a|11 (can you see why).

this narrows down what you have to guess considerably.
Change tan(theta) to x:

[br]2tan3θ33tan2θ6tanθ+11=0[br]2 \tan ^3 \theta - 33 \tan^2 \theta - 6 \tan \theta + 11 = 0

[br]2x333x26x+11=0[br]2x^3-33x^2-6x+11=0

Now, since the constant is 11, there are only four possible factors, 1, -1, 11 or -11

EDIT: Are you sure you've written the question properly. Because you couldn't possibly do this in a non-calculator paper. The answers are tanθ=0.66,0.5or16.66\tan\theta = -0.66, 0.5 or16.66
Reply 6
Let x=tan(θ)x = \tan(\theta).

First things first, it's evident that the only integer factors of 11 (±\pm 1 & 11) are not roots themselves. So...

The coefficient of x3x^3 isn't one, so let's divide through to make it easier to handle, albeit more clumsy-looking:

x3332x23x+112=0\displaystyle x^3 - \frac{33}{2}x^2 - 3x + \frac{11}{2} = 0

Now we're dealing with fractions. As usual, any roots will be found as a factor of the constant term. Let's try some:

To get 112\frac{11}{2}, what are the combinations you would intuitively try? Remember we are looking for only one of the roots...

Spoiler

That's how I'd approach it, anyway. :yep: Can't see an easier way at the moment. :no:

What a horrible question. :p:
james.h
Let x=tan(θ)x = \tan(\theta).

First things first, it's evident that the only integer factors of 11 (±\pm 1 & 11) are not roots themselves. So...

The coefficient of x3x^3 isn't one, so let's divide through to make it easier to handle, albeit more clumsy-looking:

x3332x23x+112=0\displaystyle x^3 - \frac{33}{2}x^2 - 3x + \frac{11}{2} = 0

Now we're dealing with fractions. As usual, any roots will be found as a factor of the constant term. Let's try some:

To get 112\frac{11}{2}, what are the combinations you would intuitively try? Remember we are looking for only one of the roots...

Spoiler

That's how I'd approach it, anyway. :yep: Can't see an easier way at the moment. :no:

What a horrible question. :p:

Wow thanks for the help.
Reply 8
Farhan.Hanif93
Wow thanks for the help.

:biggrin:

Don't know whether that'd work in all situations, though, so don't count on it. :p:
innerhollow
Change tan(theta) to x:

[br]2tan3θ33tan2θ6tanθ+11=0[br]2 \tan ^3 \theta - 33 \tan^2 \theta - 6 \tan \theta + 11 = 0

[br]2x333x26x+11=0[br]2x^3-33x^2-6x+11=0

Now, since the constant is 11, there are only four possible factors, 1, -1, 11 or -11

EDIT: Are you sure you've written the question properly. Because you couldn't possibly do this in a non-calculator paper. The answers are tanθ=0.66,0.5or16.66\tan\theta = -0.66, 0.5 or16.66

Haha it's part of a STEP question so I'm not surprised it *seems* impossible. But the fact of the matter is that after finding x=0.5, I can get a quadratic to factorise and the formula does that for me :smile:
Farhan.Hanif93
How can I solve the following for θ\theta without using trial and improvement to find a factor and then factorising the resulting quadratic? :
2tan3θ33tan2θ6tanθ+11=02 \tan ^3 \theta - 33 \tan^2 \theta - 6 \tan \theta + 11 = 0

This cubic rings a bell. Does it by any chance emerge from a STEP question where one of the roots is suggested by the earlier part of the question?
I think I have it. When asked as STEP I 2005 Q4, you have to guess the root by noticing that f(0) and f(1) have different signs.

But anyone who tackled STEP I 2001 Q4 was given a big hint in the earlier part of the question, which 2005 candidates might have remembered.
Reply 12
That would make a lot more sense. :yep:
around
any divisor of the form (x-a) has a|11 (can you see why).This is somewhat incomplete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

I'll also note that "can you see why" is perhaps optimistic - I wouldn't say it's obvious.

Latest