Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know what it is, and what it does, but we've been asked what do scientists use the triplet code for, and 2 examples, and i've no idea! I've looked around but can't find what the triplet code is actually used for...

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

ReputationRep:
    To make the amino acid sequence which makes the protien.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry; I phrased that poorly. I mean- What do scientists use the triplet code for?

ReputationRep:
    You could say what the previous poster said but put it in the context of genetic engineering or gene therapy. Genetic screening maybe? PCR? electrophoresis? those are quite vaguely linked to the triplet code but they might do.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    oh right
    if you know the triplet code of a gene you can use it to identify ..errr... bad (?) genes
    for example sickle cell anemia- the triplet code is messed up so the blood cells are a sickle shape. You can test cells for this for example in IVF to see if the potential kid is going to be healthy or not.
    You can use it for pathology - e.g. LQT syndrome- if a person has died from it they look the same dead as a healthy person, you can test to see if they have the defective gene
    If you know someone has a genetic disorder you can get the rest of the family members tested and start any potential treatment
    You can see the difference between the right genetic code and messed up gene to identify the mechanism of different illnesses like LQT

thats all i can think of of the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    That's some really good information- Thanks!
    Does anybody have any additional examples I may be able to use?

ReputationRep:
    Sickle Cell anaemia - CTT goes to CAT
    Huntingtons - CAG repeats at the end
    Cystic fibrosis - I dont know the detalis of this one

ReputationRep:
    What was the IVF and LQT that you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikey1789)
    What was the IVF and LQT that you mentioned?
    IVF - you can screen the zygote and see if it will have the disorder and pick healthy ones to implant

LQT- AKA Long QT... Its caused be defective genes. If you know the sequence for the healthy gene, you can compare it to the ones in people with LQT.
    Also, its a disorder of the heart. The heart beats in a weird rhythm basically and people die from it. But after theyre dead you can tell they had LQT. Then you can test them for it and see if they have the defective gene. If they do you know the cause of death and you can check the rest of the family because it inherited

ReputationRep:
    Ah now I understand. Thanks so much for the useful information!

ReputationRep:
    youre welcome

ReputationRep:
    You can also use it to make predictions about a protein. For example, if you know the nucleotide sequence and reading frame that codes for a protein, you can translate that into a sequence of amino acids. From that you can deduce what the structure will be like, make hydropathy plots and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes indeed that would be useful! Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.