Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm a current 1st year student on a Comp Sci undergraduate degree at an above average university, and if I'm honest, I want to be able to get my Maths up to A-level standard (or at least AS)

I don't find much of the Maths on my course to be difficult upto now. I will find out in a few weeks of how well I can do tougher maths. (Vectors, Dot Product, Power Series, Matrices (Inverse))

I'm pondering the thought of a home study AS-Level in Maths.

I feel my Maths formal qualification is letting me down, as I only got a C at GCSE.

What are the best places to look for possible home study and examination facilities?

How are home study courses structured, (I am thinking in terms of exams, coursework etc. because university does NOT like moving examinations)

Although I only have a C at GCSE, I can do basic differentiation and integration (possibly C1 material), co-ordinate geometry and an understanding of matrices and how to perform arithmetic operations with them.

Any help and resources is helpful and greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db_bondy)
    Hello,

I'm pondering the thought of a home study AS-Level in Maths.

What are the best places to look for possible home study and examination facilities?

How are home study courses structured, (I am thinking in terms of exams, coursework etc. because university does NOT like moving examinations)

Any help and resources is helpful and greatly appreciated.
    No coursework for As/A2 maths unless you choose the OCR-MEI specification (so don't)

Edexcel is probably the best choice as it's the most common so easier to find an exam centre. Specification etc here:
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx
    You need to read the spec and understand the options to decide which you'll do. All specs have much the same options but there are subtle differences between them. For AS You must do Core 1 and 2 plus 1 of Decision Maths 1, Stats 1 or Mechanics 1 - your options may be limited by the exam centre you choose.

You take exams in any school/college that will accept you. You have to talk to the exams officers and ask which board they use for maths and if they'll enter you. Exam entries are done in March for this summer so get a move on. Once you've found a centre then you'll know which spec to revise for. Exams are either January or May/June
    Dates here:
    http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/

You might be able to do it with text books alone but if not I recommend NEC:
    http://www.nec.ac.uk/colleges/produc...tegory_id=3801

ReputationRep:
    If you're already at the University you want is there any advantage to even 'officially' taking the Maths exams? If it's just a case of learning some Maths can't you just learn the content and then do some past papers to test yourself?

ReputationRep:
    well, i am looking for a better maths qualification for even further education (masters etc) in Natural Computation if I do well. and that requires far better formal and informal maths skills.

I find I am at a disadvantage for not having the better enhanced skills in maths. compared to possible graduates who have an A-level in maths.

I know its only first year, and the possibility of failure is still pretty high. I just feel the maths may help my understanding of quite a few topics in computer science.

hence why I am looking into it now.

Thanks for the input people ^_^.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE, I hate it, regret choosing it... Definetely dropping for A2.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.