Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can an Asian be middle-class? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If an ethnic minority were to become a doctor or a lawyer, for sake of argument, would you render them as fitting the middle class category? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Define middle class.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have gathered the a large amount of Asians in this country are defined as "middle-class" :holmes:

Personally I couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of asian doctors.

ReputationRep:
    Of course; 'middle class' isn't based on ethnicity, it's based on personal wealth and quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can. Maybe they don't fit the middle class stereotype, but that doesn't mean they're not middle class.

ReputationRep:
    middle class has nothing to do with race, but with what job you do
    eg blue collar workers - eg miners - are lower/working class, whilst white collar workers such as doctors etc are middle class. upper class = noble families, nouveau riche = people who made alot of money quick and are in between middle and upper.

ReputationRep:
    If you'd seen some of the ridiculously huge houses some asians live in you wouldn't be asking that question.

ReputationRep:
    I thought class was mainly inherited from your parents and it depends on their profession. I do think that the work you mentioned DOEs make them middle class by default though.
    It's a bit of a daft question though. :facepalm: Of course you can get middle class ethnic minorities.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which car they steal :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    exrctj;l'm;,

ReputationRep:
    Anybody can become middle class, it is simply about money (and a small amount of class), whilst being a member of the upper class is usually about standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusbarr)
    If an ethnic minority were to become a doctor or a lawyer, for sake of argument, would you render them as fitting the middle class category? :confused:
    To agree with the definition of Middle Class from before 'class' was abolished in this country: you must own your own home (mortgage acceptable) and have at least one servant or maid in your house. It is not necessary to have a profession.

ReputationRep:
    sxcvbnm,

ReputationRep:
    all the asians in my area drive range rover sports and audi Q7s

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO OP cracks me up

ReputationRep:
    xcvgbhnm

ReputationRep:
    Yes they can be. I know lots of middle class asians...mostly doctors or big businessmen!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Of course you can, have you ever heard of Lakshmi Mittal?

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely. Why wouldn't they be? The lives that some of my asian friends' parents have made for themselves is truly admirable

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.