Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Of course - it depends on your personal definition of middle class, but if we're going by the class scale? Of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course.

But Asians don't get a new 'class' immediately when immigrating to Britain, they come with a 'social class' attached.

Those who come as qualified doctors / engineers etc. from India / Pakistan etc. and buy a nice detached house with a couple of cars in the driveway in the UK are at the very least middle-class by any standards. They're likely to send their kids to private school and have somewhat more conservative but otherwise typically 'middle-class' views.

Trust me, I know plenty.

But the ones that are unskilled and hold typically working-class views (if such a notion exists) and continue to live as such won't be middle-class. This can change after the first generation but all to often it does not and you get a parallel lower-class Asian community alongside their counterpart British one - often fuel for tensions etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusbarr)
    If an ethnic minority were to become a doctor or a lawyer, for sake of argument, would you render them as fitting the middle class category? :confused:
    Go to a hospital and take a look around. What do you see?

/thread.

(Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    all the asians in my area drive range rover sports and audi Q7s
    No C-classes :woo: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    No C-classes :woo: ?
    old school man..oold school..the new trend is that new spory honad civic

ReputationRep:
    They are probably committing fraud :P

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, the only Asians I really know are middle class. I'm sure there are working class Asians, it's just that I live in an area where there are pretty much only whites.

ReputationRep:
    Same. Take simply the cars out of Mannigham (centre of Asian Bradford) and you would think they were from Monaco or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    of course, I think its possible to see upper class Asians too. Two of my uncles own houses on private roads and there fairly wealthy but there quite modest and they dont exactly flaunt there wealth really. I think its bound to happen to any ethnic minority that migrates to a more well developed country. I think when they are given the opportunity to do well some will flourish and they will be able to earn a higher social status. It just depends on whether they are given the opportunity and if they are socially accepted.

ReputationRep:
    They can be really vulgar, even among the higher professionals. Their taste in cars is particularly brash, usually a big beemer/merc or 4X4. But nevertheless in Hounslow, Hayes and most of W London South Asians typically achieve a higher standard of living than most of the local native white population.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    middle class has nothing to do with race, but with what job you do
    eg blue collar workers - eg miners - are lower/working class, whilst white collar workers such as doctors etc are middle class. upper class = noble families, nouveau riche = people who made alot of money quick and are in between middle and upper.
    Every time I hear about classes I remember seeing a program about some woman on tv, completely average proably worked in a store claiming to be UPPER MIDDLE CLASS.. LIKE WTF YOU STUPID WOMAN..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insanetothebrain)
    Dont hype it, i'll shank your working class scummy ass.
    Seriously, did you not have enough toys when you were growing up?? Is that why you feel the need to belittle other people? Or is it because your own feelings of inadequacy?? Either way, don’t make empty threats – makes you look bad – and it’s very hard to offend someone that doesn’t care for your opinion in any way shape or form.

ReputationRep:
    Have you not seen Goodness Gracious Me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Have you not seen Goodness Gracious Me?

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Cheryl Cole is just perfection!....WHAT THE HELL IS SHE DOING WITH ASHELY COLE!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:
    well, love is WEIRD (personal experience )

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Asians will always be a lower class emigrants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Media student)
    Nope, Asians will always be a lower class emigrants
    do you mean immigrant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel.HeyThereChuckles.)
    do you mean immigrant?
    I think it might have been a Freudian slip born of wishful thinking on his part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusbarr)
    If an ethnic minority were to become a doctor or a lawyer, for sake of argument, would you render them as fitting the middle class category? :confused:
    can an African-American not be a slave?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.