Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i've got this bottle of wine which frankly was piss cheap and is only good for putting into food (i tried drinking it today and it was disgusting!). I cooked a beef stew the other day so the only meats i've got to base it around are bacon, sausages or turkey (Which i was kind of saving for a chicken in white wine sauce but doesn't really matter) or it could be a vegetarian meal, i've got quite a few veg kicking around.

I'm a fairly decent cook and have quite a well stocked cupboard of herbs and bits and bobs and was wondering if you had any suggestions for meals which aren't to expensive or fiddly to make?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    With no red meats, using red wine is pretty difficult as the flavour doesn't really work with what you've got left.

The only suggestion I've got is posh sausage and mash - make some olive oil mash (same way as normal mash but half butter and half olive oil), fry/grill/oven cook the sausages and make a red wine sauce (fry off some red onions with whatever herbs you've got until really caramelised, then some sugar and the red wine, put it on a high heat until it thickens.)

DONE.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that could work. Cunning plan! I don't know why i'm really thinking about cooking more meals right now, i've got 3 portions of soup, 2 of stew and stir fry cooked from my cooking spree these last few days!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to use wine up as quickly in cooking - it's fine to keep it for a few weeks, just adding a little bit here and there (to pasta sauces, stews etc.)

I reckon a little bit in a sausage casserole with tomatoes could be good.

I like this vegetarian recipe which has red wine in it too. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4...et-potato-mash.

ReputationRep:
    Beef bourguignon. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Really.

Any red meat with a red-wine sauce. A mushroom red wine sauce is very nice with smoked sausage.

ReputationRep:
    very good in a tomato-ey pasta sauce.

or try cookies figs or peaches in it, with spices.

Or add spices and cook it in a masala wine chocolate cake (austrian)!

ReputationRep:
    Coq au Vin.

There are plenty of recipies online.

ReputationRep:
    A mushroom red wine sauce is very nice with smoked sausage.
    yumm, i would use porcini,.. and maybe a bit of gorgonzola,..

ReputationRep:
    freeze it in small quantities and then you can use it as and when you want/ have red meat to use it with

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.