Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just posting a question for a friend as he doesn't have a tsr account:

I've applied to do history for September and I'm choosing between UCL and York. I appreciate they both have their good points (York - nice city, very clean, UCL - in London so has all the facilities, underground) and their bad ones, so I was looking for some advice on what people think would be better go to - if anyone has any experiences or anything etc

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    UCL ofcourse :cool:
    global recognition, great graduate prospects, great links with industries within the city...and it's UCL - need I say anymore? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granolabar1)

I've applied to do history for September and I'm choosing between UCL and York. I appreciate they both have their good points (York - nice city, very clean, UCL - in London so has all the facilities, underground) and their bad ones, so I was looking for some advice on what people think would be better go to - if anyone has any experiences or anything etc

Thanks in advance
    LOL dood!

UCL is like in the top 5 best unis of the WORLD.
    York doesn't have a speck of shizwiz on UCL

ReputationRep:
    Obviously UCL :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ucl.

ReputationRep:
    Ucl!

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

ReputationRep:
    UCL. The only reason is because it is in London.

I don't know about the university reputations.

ReputationRep:
    UCL has a slightly better rep although both are amazing unis.. depends whether you want the city life or not..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granolabar1)

Thanks in advance
    Yeah your friend has the right attitude, unlike the posters I've seen so far boasting of idiotic things like 'global recognition'.

I'd say it depends on your friend; whether he prefers a bustling uni life in London or a quieter one in York. I'd also take into consideration where he's from and where he wants to work; if from up north, and he sees himself moving back up there later on and have close ties with family - then I'd say London as a no brainer if he likes new experiences. If there's a fair chance he might end up working in London anyway, then York would give him more variety.

It really is an individual decision. London can be a bit anonymous and isn't very studenty like York may be. But it has the best shopping, museums and clubs in the country. On the other hand, it's expensive more so than elsewhere in the country.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.