Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...enceReview.htm

Might be worth having a look. Also some news on cuts (older news but maybe handy to know)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8413135.stm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i seen a bit of this on the news earlier on. I might be wrong but im sure it was mentioned that one section of the armed forces may be gone in 10 years ? surely this cant be possible if true ?...But i may of heard it wrong. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    less soldiers > more soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conor.b92)
    Yeah i seen a bit of this on the news earlier on. I might be wrong but im sure it was mentioned that one section of the armed forces may be gone in 10 years ? surely this cant be possible if true ?...But i may of heard it wrong. :confused:
    yep, most likely to be the Rif RAF....simply as both army and navy have aircraft...so all that needs to be done is take planes away from RAF and to navy/army....thus freeing more money that would have been diverted to RAF and freeing up more bases, allowing a possible increase in force size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    yep, most likely to be the Rif RAF....simply as both army and navy have aircraft...so all that needs to be done is take planes away from RAF and to navy/army....thus freeing more money that would have been diverted to RAF and freeing up more bases, allowing a possible increase in force size
    I hope not. Leceister's General Hospital is 50 mill in the red. Send £ that/a similar way please.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. i take it that the remaining technicians, pilots and many other workers of the R.A.F would then just be sent to the navy and or army ? because they couldnt be allowed to sack that many people could they ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conor.b92)
    hmm. i take it that the remaining technicians, pilots and many other workers of the R.A.F would then just be sent to the navy and or army ? because they couldnt be allowed to sack that many people could they ?
    they wouldn't sack all of them, however a significant number would have to be fired....simply as they won't be needed, or they may have the option of re-training in a different trade in the military

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!! the RAF doesnt have any unique capability really that cant be done by the other services.

Considering how much of the UK aircraft servicing is contracted out i suspect the forces redundancies would be less than one might think. Remember whoever gets which type of aircraft would need its appropriate deployable technicians, pilots and aircrew for a while until numbers are reduced. A lot of the numbers could be lost through natural wastage.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    infernal and warren - you are both demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of anything you've mentioned, air power, the Army, the RN, the RAF, military aviation, training, doctrine, funding - for a start.

I've not got the time right now, but that should be held up to others as how not to demonstrate any understanding whatsoever, in one badly structured sentence.

ReputationRep:
    His point is valid though- the RAF did used to be the royal flying corps and the Royal Naval Air service.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ub2008)
    His point is valid though- the RAF did used to be the royal flying corps and the Royal Naval Air service.
    So what? Soldiers used to fight with pointy sticks. What does that prove?
    Once the capabilities of Air Power were realised, the RAF was formed to properly apply those capabilities. How many other militaries in the world do you see with only a navy and an army? Anyone useful?

ReputationRep:
    Bring the forces out of Belize, Cyprus, Germany, Gibraltar and the Falklands as it's a complete waste of money.

Merge the RAF into the Army and Navy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    So what? Soldiers used to fight with pointy sticks. What does that prove?
    Once the capabilities of Air Power were realised, the RAF was formed to properly apply those capabilities. How many other militaries in the world do you see with only a navy and an army? Anyone useful?
    Why does the UK even need a military?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I've not got the time to bring your education up to the required level - please begin your own studies and we'll reconvene at a future time that is mutually convenient. Thank you for calling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    I've not got the time to bring your education up to the required level - please begin your own studies and we'll reconvene at a future time that is mutually convenient. Thank you for calling.
    If you're unable to answer the question just say so, you've made yourself look like a complete fool - well done.

ReputationRep:
    What happens in 10 years when America decide to wage war on Iran? Naturally we will get dragged into it, so without a military, it would be a pretty short fight - with big casualties on our side when someone has the idea of dropping a pretty massive bomb on the UK.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie2376)
    What happens in 10 years when America decide to wage war on Iran? Naturally we will get dragged into it, so without a military, it would be a pretty short fight - with big casualties on our side when someone has the idea of dropping a pretty massive bomb on the UK.....
    We shouldn't be naturally dragged into it though, and this goes for every war in the future. Unless the EU, NATO and UN justify the war but more importantly the British people agree to go to war, then pick up your helmet and let's go to war. I'm tired of this nonsense about being dragged into war because the US said so, the UK has no obligation to go to war unless it feels threatened in anyway shape or form and that's the way it should be.

Ireland's military consists of 1 rowing boat and 1 man with a knife, yet they're not under any threat. Why should we be an exception?

How can you expect to be liked by Iran when you invade the 2 countries it shares a border with?

ReputationRep:
    All it takes is those thieving Argies to take our Falklands again and we're screwed! Reducing the armed forces is an invitation for an invasion.

Personally, I don't mind what happens as long as I get my job in the Armed Forces and we don't combine with another countries military (this is the most unpatriotic decision ever suggested).

I hope the next PM thinks the same as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    All it takes is those thieving Argies to take our Falklands again and we're screwed! Reducing the armed forces is an invitation for an invasion.

Personally, I don't mind what happens as long as I get my job in the Armed Forces and we don't combine with another countries military (this is the most unpatriotic decision ever suggested).

I hope the next PM thinks the same as me
    What's wrong with selling our ships, planes, tanks etc and at the same time telling the world on very clear terms. If you intend on ******* with us, in any way, shape or form, we'll nuke you.

Even as a bluff, that would end the possibility of any country invading the UK(which in this day and age, realistically, won't happen).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Do you really think that having a nuclear option or nothing at all is sensible? It doesn't give you anything less than total destruction - which is the behavior of a despot. We play a part in the state system - we are a player. Military action is the ultimate extension of politics - and the world and the state players know that. You suggest that we dispose of our military and keep nuclear? Utterly insane.
    It isn't those in the military who perpetuate the military - it is the politicians and human nature. The UK keeps fighting above its weight - I give you that. It would be a very very brave politician who took the UK out of the premiere league of nations (seat on the UNSC etc) and into the 'also-rans' like Eire and did what you suggest. It isn't going to happen, despite how many crazy schemes you suggest to us on the internet.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.