Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stalin, presumably you'd also be happy for the UK to sit back and do nothing to help the next time there's a tsunami, or an earthquake, or any kind of humanitarian effort? What about peacekeeping activities? What about floods or other natural disasters inside the UK? The military isn't just there to fight wars. But perhaps you'd rather have some kind of civilian force kept on standby to help with these things as required - although I'm not sure how cost effective that would, either ...

And what would you do if the British People decide they DO want to go to war? Or we do feel threatened? The threat to the UK from the Taleban is, after all, one of the main reasons we're in Afghanistan.

Do you really think scrapping the Armed Forces is a viable option? Could you explain why you think that?

ReputationRep:
    Back to the original green paper; having had a good read, I can see some good thinking has gone into this. I don't necessarily agree with some of it, at the end of the day it is a paper to start the right questions about the Strategic Defence Review. I do believe that financial benefits are the overriding concerns for review and in many cases they are long overdue. We are at the end of the day still an arm of the British govt. so we have to endure this but would Whitehall dare to do a full equivalent for the civil servants in Whitehall? Let’s cut the quangos and committees, these savings alone could equal or exceed the money saved in culling the military.

The main issues of why do we need any armed forces are quite clearly covered in the paper so Stalin have a read and get back in your box like a good little troll

ReputationRep:
    I think theres more need for armed forces now then ever before if im honest. Also ofcourse you need an RAF its probably the most important millitary organisation. The army is becomming more and more irrelavent because most things these days are done by planes and other complicated equipment.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    T_G_O - are you applying for the Armed Forces? You reaaaalllyy need to understand what is happening in Afghanistan if thats how you view the Army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    T_G_O - are you applying for the Armed Forces? You reaaaalllyy need to understand what is happening in Afghanistan if thats how you view the Army.
    Those arent my words im quoting someone. Why have infantry when you can have planes. If theres cuts it should be to the army and they should make the RAF bigger.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No - what do YOU think? If you are quoting someone and can't back up why you share that view, then you're just regurgitating rubbish.

'planes' cannot take and hold the ground - they cannot perform counter insurgence operations - they cannot win hearts and minds and talk to the locals.

ReputationRep:
    This is bad news.
    If anything, we should be increasing the military budget...

The only way to reduce the deficit is Education, Social Security and the Health budget.
    You could wipe the whole £30bn off from the military budget and still not even cut half the budget.

We must maintain a strong military.

ReputationRep:
    No - what do YOU think? If you are quoting someone and can't back up why you share that view, then you're just regurgitating rubbish.

'planes' cannot take and hold the ground - they cannot perform counter insurgence operations - they cannot win hearts and minds and talk to the locals.
    Im not being funny or offensive to anyone. But do you really think people in afghanistan care about outsiders talking to them and try to win there heart?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm obviously not getting through to you. You don't have any idea about how military operations work or any idea about what is happening in Afghanistan or what the UK is trying to achieve out there. I strongly suggest that you go and read about these areas rather than just repeating stuff you have heard on an internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm great!
    Things like this seem to be making me more and more nervous about my application for the RAF (with pre basic now 7 months away) i feel i could have the rug pulled from under and sent packing! :/
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What a ridiculous thread.

No-one in the Army wants to join to fly tankers or transports, because it's not an "Army" job. And which service would get them anyway? Or most of our ISTAR assets? Do people who want to be in the Navy really want to fly Sentries in circles at 30 000ft as a career? Nope.

Likewise, no-one in the RAF wants to fly a helicopter off the back of a boat for years on end. And none of us want to follow the Army's rather inefficient career paths for aircrew.

I'd also like to see where the savings will come from. There's no capability left to cut, really. If you still need the same number of aircraft, you'll need the same number of bases, and you'll need the same number of people. If all you're doing is blowing a bunch of cash on changing their names and technically making them part of another service, where do the savings come from?

If you want to chop some unnecessary parts of the armed forces, I'd say there's a lot more sensible targets than the entire RAF. Get rid of all the London-based ceremonial regiments, which have no war role. Get rid of the AAC before you touch the RAF, as I remain convinced that the RAF would operate its assets in an infinitely more efficient way.

More importantly, if anyone can show me a successful first world nation that doesn't have a separate independent air force, then I'll start thinking about how it might be sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Bring the forces out of Belize, Cyprus, Germany, Gibraltar and the Falklands as it's a complete waste of money.

Merge the RAF into the Army and Navy.

and leave all that juicy, untouched oil unattended? Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    We currently have over 10,000 thousand training troops in Germany.
    They could be useful.

I believe we should reassert our military strength.

Step 1/ Pull out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Germany.
    Step 2/ Invade Kuwait
    Step 3/ Use the oil to purchase military equipment and pay off debt
    Step 4/ Invade an oil rich country next to it
    Step 5/ Use the oil to purchase more military equipment and pay off more debt
    Step 6/ Invade an oil rich country next to it
    Step 6/ Use the oil to purchase more military equipment and pay off more debt
    Step 7/ Create a state out of the countries we invaded
    Step 8/ Name them as the British Middle Eastern Territory
    Step 9/ Veto all UN proposals
    Step 10/ Laugh
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    We currently have over 10,000 thousand training troops in Germany.
    Congratulations on that sentence. You have brightened my day whilst scaring me at the same time. You might need to pay more attention in the 'writing numbers' class but good on you.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on that sentence. You have brightened my day whilst scaring me at the same time. You might need to pay more attention in the 'writing numbers' class but good on you.
    Actually, I was trying to emphasis the thousand aspect of it...
    Next time I will make that more clear

I think I got out of that one quite well
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Actually, I was trying to emphasis the thousand aspect of it...
    'emphasise' is the word you are groping for back there. Keep on learning.

ReputationRep:
    'emphasise' is the word you are groping for back there. Keep on learning.
    That is called a typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    What a ridiculous thread.

No-one in the Army wants to join to fly tankers or transports, because it's not an "Army" job. And which service would get them anyway? Or most of our ISTAR assets? Do people who want to be in the Navy really want to fly Sentries in circles at 30 000ft as a career? Nope.

Likewise, no-one in the RAF wants to fly a helicopter off the back of a boat for years on end. And none of us want to follow the Army's rather inefficient career paths for aircrew.

I'd also like to see where the savings will come from. There's no capability left to cut, really. If you still need the same number of aircraft, you'll need the same number of bases, and you'll need the same number of people. If all you're doing is blowing a bunch of cash on changing their names and technically making them part of another service, where do the savings come from?

If you want to chop some unnecessary parts of the armed forces, I'd say there's a lot more sensible targets than the entire RAF. Get rid of all the London-based ceremonial regiments, which have no war role. Get rid of the AAC before you touch the RAF, as I remain convinced that the RAF would operate its assets in an infinitely more efficient way.

More importantly, if anyone can show me a successful first world nation that doesn't have a separate independent air force, then I'll start thinking about how it might be sensible.
    Good post as always Wzz, but can you expand on a few things? Firstly, which London based regiments with no operational role are you referring to? Secondly, how will the AAC's assets be better served under the RAF?

(Original post by Theo1977)
    The threat to the UK from the Taleban is, after all, one of the main reasons we're in Afghanistan.
    Mebbe I'm being daft, but what threat do the Taliban pose to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    I think theres more need for armed forces now then ever before if im honest. Also ofcourse you need an RAF its probably the most important millitary organisation. The army is becomming more and more irrelavent because most things these days are done by planes and other complicated equipment.
    How on Earth are the Army becoming less relevant? You can't hold ground with aircraft its as simple as that. You need men/tanks on the ground.

They won't be losing one of the forces. It can't happen. It would cost us a fortune, destroy the insanely efficient system we have now (brought about by very clever people trying to work out how the hell to do what we're currently doing with NO MONEY) and just bring mass confusion.

Argh....I was going to bother explaining why but...the people with any sense already know and the people arguing against it just won't understand.

I've got an idea....lets put people with military experience in charge of the military (and I mean REALLY in charge - setting a budget)?

Q_M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Mebbe I'm being daft, but what threat do the Taliban pose to the UK?
    My bad - I expressed it poorly. Al Qaeda pose a threat; if the Taleban were in power it would provide Al Qaeda with a more secure base from which to operate, and therefore increase the threat level to the UK. The Taleban might not pose a direct threat, but they could facilitate it if they held power.

Is that any better? :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.