Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously you could live but it would be pretty tough not having one wouldn't it? My phone broke a couple of days ago and I was meant to be meeting my friend who was already in town, but I couldn't contact her because my phone was broken, I was also meant to go out with a couple of friends that night but couldn't really organise properly because my phone was broken! (they phoned my house, but while I was out I could have got lost or something and not been able to find them)
    Anyway I just wanted to know if other people would find it pretty tough like me who relies on their phone or if it wouldn't matter to you if you didn't have one?

yes i am bored and choked with the cold :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's very easy to cope.
    I haven't had my phone on since...last weekend?

ReputationRep:
    I can't live without a phone. It would be really though for me. lol

ReputationRep:
    I rely on my phone. I feel the need to be contactable 24/7, and if I couldn't be, I'd be worrying constantly.

ReputationRep:
    no...but only cos my parents would kill me for not picking up when they called....on account of me not having a phone....

otherwise....yes I could, and very easily at that too
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I make a point of not charging my phone every night and letting it run down so people know I'm not at their beck and call!

I have a real thing against that, BlackBerrys and iPhones and stuff drive me up the wall. *bleep* *bleep bleep* ARGH!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one. It annoys the hell out of people

ReputationRep:
    I find my phone is more of a 'safety net' than anything else. I could quite easily live without it in terms of convenience, but when travelling any distance it gives a way of getting help if you need it - especially important during the winter when bad weather can make problems much more likely. I've been fortunate to never have had any serious problems yet, but there's always a possibility, so it's definitely a great reassurance to have a mobile with me.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I do need my phone when i'm out and about. Also I am a bit of a textaholic.

ReputationRep:
    Mine seems to be a very expensive watch.

ReputationRep:
    I could live without it, but it would make life difficult. While I'm not one of these that's calling/texting constantly, I like the security of knowing that if I break down, or get lost, or anything happens, my family/friends/emergency services are easily contactable. Plus as you say, for the sake of day to day convenience, phones are more or less essential.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with consummate ease.

I mostly use the web to chat. Take away my laptop and I'd be a goner, but take away my phone and I might thank you for ridding me of that incessant nuisance.

Yeah, definitely. No-one ever calls/texts me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I havent used one since 2006..
    well until yesterday when I bought a Blackberry.

I'm converted. And an addict.

ReputationRep:
    A mobile phone is a basic human need. Need. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, easily. Very rarely does anyone contact me on my phone, and a £10 top up can last me months =P

ReputationRep:
    I left my phone at my friend's halls in Whitechapel just a few hours ago, and I'm already getting a bit anxious as my mum is visiting tomorrow and my phone is my only real means of communicating with her to arrange that. Hence, I have to get a tube and a bus to a university campus I've never been to, at a specific time, in order to retrieve it. It's worrying how much we rely on our mobile phones, but I see it as a reassurance: I know that, no matter what, I can contact my parents, friends and flat-mates and/or the emergency services if anything untoward happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Mine seems to be a very expensive watch.
    This.

Except for the expensive part. I'm still sporting a Motorola V220.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    Nah, I do need my phone when i'm out and about. Also I am a bit of a textaholic.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no :nooo: I need my phone and this is kinda scary.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.