Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I probably couldn't. Even if I took away the games and everything else, and it was just for phoning and texting, I'd probably still rely on it.

I don't really like using things like MSN and Facebook chat, so texting is about the only way I talk to people (other than in person, obviously.)

ReputationRep:
    I can live without a phone but I can't live without my laptop

ReputationRep:
    I would die a slow painful death :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    I think I could.. I don't really use it that much anyways..

ReputationRep:
    A pattern is emerging... :sherlock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Well obviously you could live but it would be pretty tough not having one wouldn't it? My phone broke a couple of days ago and I was meant to be meeting my friend who was already in town, but I couldn't contact her because my phone was broken, I was also meant to go out with a couple of friends that night but couldn't really organise properly because my phone was broken! (they phoned my house, but while I was out I could have got lost or something and not been able to find them)
    Anyway I just wanted to know if other people would find it pretty tough like me who relies on their phone or if it wouldn't matter to you if you didn't have one?

yes i am bored and choked with the cold :p:
    Yeah, pretty easily. AT the moment I imagine that my 50 year old nokia is probably turned on somewhere in this room but I have no idea where and will almost certainly forget to take it when I go out later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    I make a point of not charging my phone every night and letting it run down so people know I'm not at their beck and call!

I have a real thing against that, BlackBerrys and iPhones and stuff drive me up the wall. *bleep* *bleep bleep* ARGH!!
    My blackberry hardly ever makes a sound. It does to wake me up, and in an absolute emergency, but other than that no, to 95% of people its on silent at all times, to around 70% of people it just gives an opportunity for a message to be left. It's just useful to collect email, for ssh, and to read graphs.

I could easily live without my phone; I live out in the country where connectivity is poor anyway. The internet however, now that would be much harder...

ReputationRep:
    I would find it extremely difficult to live without my phone. I am constantly texting/ringing people. I also feel safer with it on me - if I'm on my own, I know I have my mobile in case something happens. My phone is also my music player, camera, etc. My phone is broken atm, and off for repair. I have a loan phone, and it's horrible! I take between 4 and 6 buses to and from work everyday (depending on my shifts), and I can't listen to my music or watch videos on the bus on my loan phone

ReputationRep:
    No for me, if I happen to forget my phone when I leave home I find it hard to carry on the day without finding a reason to head back home and get it. :p: Not that I'm constantly receiving phone calls, its more like I want to be always contactable.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I rely on it, but sometimes if I want some peace and quiet it gets turned off. The boss doesnt always need to know where I am and what im up to, particually if im working for someone who likes to ring every hour to check how things are going. Does my head in.

ReputationRep:
    For day to day life, a mobile is prettymuch essential to me - not only because whilst I'm at uni, I don't have a landline, but also because I drive a 76 year old car and a 55 year old car on a daily basis and just occasionally, something goes wrong - I've had a cylinder head gasket blow (it was one of those ****** cardboardy ones which was probably about 30 years old so not surprising) on the Austin 7 and a half shaft break and a clutch linkeage break (this was a brand new one and it has been since admitted by the manufacturer that it was a faulty batch) on the A30. When things like that happen, being able to call my dad and get him to tow me home is a brilliant thing!

ReputationRep:
    I can't live without it as I surf the web with it, like now.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

It is compulsory for my job to have one, if you don't have a personal mobile you have to request a work mobile.

And I kinda like my job

ReputationRep:
    My phone has broken again. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    I could yeah and have done quite a bit....Internet and house phone do me....but I do have a mobile...don't really use it that much(probably between 100 and 200 txt's a month..probably close to 100)...I don't like small talk and I just use it to plan stuff and find out where people are.

Most people just txt away constantly because their brains can't entertain themselves and they need social reassurance all the time.

I can see how being at uni would make a phone more needed...I did use it a fair bit then and needed it,,especially if you haven't got a laptop or the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I could very easily!. I dont phone anyone anyway, mine is used solely for texting.No one phones me either, so its all good.I only really have one for the emergency thing, you never know whats going to happen and I"m not always at home so I need to be contactable.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Total call time on it in nearly a year -19 hours.

I only use it to try and find people on a night out for the most part, I would jsut not run off. Use the landline instead for those call I do need

ReputationRep:
    I probably could.... more so than a few years ago. I don't call anyone, the only person I really use it for is to get my dad to pick me up from the train station

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. I rely on it a LOT, and since coming to uni my phone bills have gone up :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I don't have one. It annoys the hell out of people
    Welcome to the club.

To answer the question: Yes, I can live easily without one.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.