Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is this?

(show examples)

and how do you prove it?

(this is in mathematical economics)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If this is what you were asking (if the "of" in the title was meant to be an "or"), then a decreasing function is a function for which f(b) \le f(a) for all b > a, and a strictly decreasing function is a function for which f(b) < f(a) for all b > a.

So for example f(x) = e^{-x} is strictly decreasing, and f(x) = \lfloor -x \rfloor is decreasing (for real values of x in both cases).

Otherwise, I don't understand your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    If this is what you were asking (if the "of" in the title was meant to be an "or"), then a decreasing function is a function for which f(b) \le f(a) for all b > a, and a strictly decreasing function is a function for which f(b) < f(a) for all b > a.

So for example f(x) = e^{-x} is strictly decreasing, and f(x) = \lfloor -x \rfloor is decreasing (for real values of x in both cases).

Otherwise, I don't understand your question.
    The question asks: "what type of function is a decreasing function of a strictly decreasing function?"

-and Prove it?

This is the beginning of a new question but follows on from questions on (strictly) monotonically increasing/decreasing functions.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by playa)
    The question asks: "what type of function is a decreasing function of a strictly decreasing function?"

-and Prove it?

This is the beginning of a new question but follows on from questions on (strictly) monotonically increasing/decreasing functions.
    I honestly couldn't guess what the question is actually asking... without more context, at least, it doesn't make much sense at all. The only answer I could think of would be that it is an increasing function, since if g(x) is the strictly decreasing function and f(g(x)) is the decreasing function of g, then if a > b then g(a) < g(b) and then f(g(a)) \le f(g(b)), so if p = g(a), q = g(b), then p < q \Rightarrow f(p) \le f(q), and hence q > p \Rightarrow f(q) \ge f(p), which is the definition of an increasing function.

Either that, or I've completely misinterpreted the question.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.