Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    It's all well and good me going and getting this work exp but if I can't pass the interview I'm screwed lol.
    you may not even get an nterview if you dont have work experiance.

you should not even be thinking about the interview until your offered one, there are so many other things to do before you even get to that stage.

just one step at a time otherwise you may miss really important things out of your application and then you are truly screwed.

remember, warwick base a lot of their interview selection on ukcat results so if you take ukcats and get below 620 i would advise you against applying because it will be a wasted application on your ucas form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Is the workload mainly assessed stuff or is it just extra reading around the subject so you know the stuff that they don't go into in much detail?
    Because my bf who does medicine has had 7 times less assessed work to do as I have (he does medicine) but he has a LOT of extra reading and prep for different things the next day. Is that the way it is for you?
    Well...basically, we have learning objectives for each topic, of which MOST are covered in the lectures. However, some other aspects are covered in group work, and a few extras are extra-curricular. However, because there can sometimes be so many learning objectives for one topic, sometimes you might want to read around even the subjects that are covered in the lectures, simply because they may not be explained well by that particular lecturer.

In terms of assessment, generally we have written exams, OSCEs, summer projects (known as CASSMs) and special study modules. The material in the writtens can be taken from any learning objective at any point during any of the semesters once covered! Which is horrible. You may have learned the anatomy of the inguinal canal to death in Semester 1 but can you remember it vividly a year and a bit later? Sometimes they try to catch you out with tricly little questions as well that dont even seem relevant to anything you've learned.

Oh, and LOTS of sociology at Warwick. LOTS of it!! It's very "pink" as we call it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)

you should not even be thinking about the interview until your offered one, there are so many other things to do before you even get to that stage.

just one step at a time otherwise you may miss really important things out of your application and then you are truly screwed.

remember, warwick base a lot of their interview selection on ukcat results so if you take ukcats and get below 620 i would advise you against applying because it will be a wasted application on your ucas form.
    I'm not just wanting to apply to medicine on a whim. I know exactly what is expected of me, I am already getting work experience, I already have shadowing experience in a hospital and I intend getting much more and also getting a auxiliary nurse job or similar in a hospital.
    I have already talked about that bit in this thread and have also spoke to GodspeedGehenna about what sort of things he has done etc and was already VERY aware about it. I'm not an idiot lol. That was just one small comment in the entire thread. I am not going to just ignore doing interview prep until I get an interview, because if they do offer me an interview and I have 2 months to prepare, then in my opinion I have completely wasted my time by not preparing and finding out as much info as possible about the interview process!

I was asking about interviews because I have 2 years to prepare mucho experience and get my interview skills top notch. THAT is why I said that.

And I am not worried about the UKCAT really, I'm quite confident I can do that without TOO many problems. And no one say "Oh you aren't being realistic blah..." I am very aware of the types of questions on those aptitude tests and have quite a bit of experience answering some similar types of questions (yes obviously not all types blah)

It all sounds exciting though I'm looking forward to get the ball rolling on the whole process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    Well...basically, we have learning objectives for each topic, of which MOST are covered in the lectures. However, some other aspects are covered in group work, and a few extras are extra-curricular. However, because there can sometimes be so many learning objectives for one topic, sometimes you might want to read around even the subjects that are covered in the lectures, simply because they may not be explained well by that particular lecturer.

In terms of assessment, generally we have written exams, OSCEs, summer projects (known as CASSMs) and special study modules. The material in the writtens can be taken from any learning objective at any point during any of the semesters once covered! Which is horrible. You may have learned the anatomy of the inguinal canal to death in Semester 1 but can you remember it vividly a year and a bit later? Sometimes they try to catch you out with tricly little questions as well that dont even seem relevant to anything you've learned.

Oh, and LOTS of sociology at Warwick. LOTS of it!! It's very "pink" as we call it :p:
    Oooh how annoying! lol How do you generally find that then? Really difficult to do those written exams?

Ahh lol well I should be very good with the social stuff, we do tons of it in psychology too! And I'm guessing they do health psych as well, like the reasons why people seek advice and what makes some people worried about stuff and take action and why others don't etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    I already have shadowing experience in a hospital
    How'd you manage that so fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Oooh how annoying! lol How do you generally find that then? Really difficult to do those written exams?

Ahh lol well I should be very good with the social stuff, we do tons of it in psychology too! And I'm guessing they do health psych as well, like the reasons why people seek advice and what makes some people worried about stuff and take action and why others don't etc.
    Hehe. You'll be fine on the course then We have a module called health psychology in semester 2 right enough!

Exams are really hard though. The writtens are harder than our OSCEs but still, quite a few people had to do resits this year due to the written paper being very difficult. There are a few people having to repeat the year unfortunately, despite the fact that I know they're capable of progressing

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me?
    Here's my dilemma...really need opinions...

I do not know whether I should study biomedicine at Imperial- for which i have an offer, and try my best to perform well on the course- get a First, a lot of work experience and show myself to them- since the course is in the faculty of medicine, and apply for the graduate entry course-A104- or apply again next year with A Levels( if i do the a levels, im predicted A* in all my 4 subjects) as I applied with USA Advanced Placement exams this year.(9 A* GCSE)-didnt get into any med schools this year..

Thing is im international (for some reason all the undergrad places go to far eastern students!!), both ways my chances are slim, but i guess if i do biomed ( as it seems imperial only has 50 places to offer nd their requirements are harder than all the others) this year, ill have a better chance of showing my ability and enthusiasm....

What do you guys think i should do?

This may not be strictly true. I didn't mention any work experience or volunteer work in my ps. I certainly tried to get work placement in a hospital for my interviews but that didn't materialise although I have managed to volunteer for the last 3 months in a homeless day shelter.

My point is I've had 3 interviews and none of them has asked me about work placement/volunteer work.

Certainly try and get some as every little helps your application though I'm not sure work placement is as important for grad entries as for school leavers. Of course, I can only speak for myself on this one so take it with a pinch of salt! :p:

I think the most important part is a high UKCAT score. Achieve this and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a few interviews depending on where you apply of course.

(Original post by persian2845)
    Can someone help me?
    Just to clear things up - you're an international student with 9A*'s at GCSE and (hopefully) 4A*'s at A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    Just to clear things up - you're an international student with 9A*'s at GCSE and (hopefully) 4A*'s at A level?
    Yes Hopefully 3A*'s at A level....already have maths
    I have 2 A's in GCE olevel(no A* available) and 7 A*s at IGCSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    I'm not just wanting to apply to medicine on a whim. I know exactly what is expected of me, I am already getting work experience, I already have shadowing experience in a hospital and I intend getting much more and also getting a auxiliary nurse job or similar in a hospital.
    I have already talked about that bit in this thread and have also spoke to GodspeedGehenna about what sort of things he has done etc and was already VERY aware about it. I'm not an idiot lol. That was just one small comment in the entire thread. I am not going to just ignore doing interview prep until I get an interview, because if they do offer me an interview and I have 2 months to prepare, then in my opinion I have completely wasted my time by not preparing and finding out as much info as possible about the interview process!

I was asking about interviews because I have 2 years to prepare mucho experience and get my interview skills top notch. THAT is why I said that.

And I am not worried about the UKCAT really, I'm quite confident I can do that without TOO many problems. And no one say "Oh you aren't being realistic blah..." I am very aware of the types of questions on those aptitude tests and have quite a bit of experience answering some similar types of questions (yes obviously not all types blah)

It all sounds exciting though I'm looking forward to get the ball rolling on the whole process
    chill out. i wasnt calling you an idiot just putting a realistic view to it. i personally think that your time, at the moment, is better spent getting good experiance, getting high grades on your degree and practicing ukcats because they are the things that will get you the interview. that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    This may not be strictly true. I didn't mention any work experience or volunteer work in my ps. I certainly tried to get work placement in a hospital for my interviews but that didn't materialise although I have managed to volunteer for the last 3 months in a homeless day shelter.

My point is I've had 3 interviews and none of them has asked me about work placement/volunteer work.

Certainly try and get some as every little helps your application though I'm not sure work placement is as important for grad entries as for school leavers. Of course, I can only speak for myself on this one so take it with a pinch of salt! :p:

I think the most important part is a high UKCAT score. Achieve this and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a few interviews depending on where you apply of course.
    that is great for you but i dont think op should think she doesnt need good amount of work exp just because you didnt. if op is worried/not confident about an interview then extra work exp on her application could help tip the scales between offer and rejection.

all i am saying is to give yourself the best chance at medcine (gep or 5yr) you need to maximise your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    How'd you manage that so fast?
    A close family friend and her husband are both radiologists I was only just in year 12 when I did that as well (16yo) so obviously I will be asking her again if I can come back

(By the way, I got this experience because I intended to apply to medicine in the first place but then realised I didn't have chemistry, tried to get on it, couldn't, then managed to get a long distance chem course in the March, they wanted me to complete all the 1st year exams in the June a long with my 4 other A level exams, it looked like an impossible feat so I just gave up [yes I was immature blah de blah and I should have stayed at college for an extra year, but I didn't and now I am serious about it and am willing to do what it takes. I've come a long way in a couple of years and I am glad I am doing it this way to be honest, I feel like I will cope much better with doing medicine when I am older because I will have grown as a person, got some life experience and become much more mature to deal with the situations I will come across when training to be a doctor ])

chill out. i wasnt calling you an idiot just putting a realistic view to it. i personally think that your time, at the moment, is better spent getting good experiance, getting high grades on your degree and practicing ukcats because they are the things that will get you the interview. that is all.
    Yeah I agree with that, obviously I'm not just looking at interview now at all, I am just interested in what it was like, you know, every little bit of info helps. But yeah my time will pretty much be solely getting experience, practicing UKCATs and also I will need to teach myself A level to uni level chemistry, biology and physics for preparation for the GAMSAT as well (I want to apply to Nottingham as well you see) so I will grab some books from the library and do that sort of thing over the summers I have before applying

The more I mull this lot over, the more I want to do it

Can someone help me?

I do not know whether I should study biomedicine at Imperial- for which i have an offer, and try my best to perform well on the course- get a First, a lot of work experience and show myself to them- since the course is in the faculty of medicine, and apply for the graduate entry course-A104- or apply again next year with A Levels( if i do the a levels, im predicted A* in all my 4 subjects) as I applied with USA Advanced Placement exams this year.(9 A* GCSE)-didnt get into any med schools this year..

Thing is im international (for some reason all the undergrad places go to far eastern students!!), both ways my chances are slim, but i guess if i do biomed ( as it seems imperial only has 50 places to offer nd their requirements are harder than all the others) this year, ill have a better chance of showing my ability and enthusiasm....

Accept the biomed course but still apply to medicine next year and keep trying until you get on. Because at least you are doing something constructive with your time while you are waiting to get into medicine.

(Original post by graemematt)
    Hehe. You'll be fine on the course then We have a module called health psychology in semester 2 right enough!

Exams are really hard though. The writtens are harder than our OSCEs but still, quite a few people had to do resits this year due to the written paper being very difficult. There are a few people having to repeat the year unfortunately, despite the fact that I know they're capable of progressing
    Aww poor people, it sounds a little unfair in that respect then I guess. What does OSCE stand for again? (sorry if you have already said this!)

Do you do dissection or pro-section or nothing at Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    I have other question on my mind at the moment.

I have read and a lot of the universities don't even look at your A levels as a graduate entrant. But I did retake two modules (one in spanish and one in maths-because i was one mark from an A overall) will this matter? I am under the impression that apart from the places who want chemistry and stuff, they do not care about your A levels. I never resat any GCSEs and got A*s in maths and double sci and As in eng lang and lit. I'm sure I read on Warwick's site that they don't look at A levels at all. And on the GAMSAT website they say entry requirements at most places are only based on degree classification, GAMSAT or UKCAT score and the interview.

Can anyone enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)

I have read and a lot of the universities don't even look at your A levels as a graduate entrant. But I did retake two modules (one in spanish and one in maths-because i was one mark from an A overall) will this matter? I am under the impression that apart from the places who want chemistry and stuff, they do not care about your A levels. I never resat any GCSEs and got A*s in maths and double sci and As in eng lang and lit. I'm sure I read on Warwick's site that they don't look at A levels at all. And on the GAMSAT website they say entry requirements at most places are only based on degree classification, GAMSAT or UKCAT score and the interview.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    If they say they don't look at your A-levels, it means they don't look at your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    If they say they don't look at your A-levels, it means they don't look at your A-levels.
    And if they don't explicitly say they don't look at A levels but they say there are no specific requirements at A level, I am also fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)

Can anyone enlighten me?
    Can't talk for every uni but Warwick do not care a jot whether you have AAAA (like my girlfriend had) or, well, a lot worse than that (like I had, haha)

ReputationRep:
    Ah and also we do prosection at Warwick. We use Gunther von Hagens' recent plastinates, which the uni bought off him for somewhere in the region of 1-2 million quids. They're very detailed and more than reasonable for learning anatomy from

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me?

would it not be better for you to apply somewhere like newcastle or leisceter biomed, because they offer a transfer to medicine for thoes who perform at a frist class level in the first year???

just a thought

ReputationRep:
    would it not be better for you to apply somewhere like newcastle or leisceter biomed, because they offer a transfer to medicine for thoes who perform at a frist class level in the first year???

just a thought
    I just heard that from you...
    But honestly i have worked soo hard for the past few years, i want to go to a good university...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 9, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.