Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm at the GCSE stage of my education and am very consious of the decisions I'll have to make in the near-future, and I was just wondering what the minimum entry requirements are for Oxford University? I'm leaning towards a course In Physics at the moment, but obviously that could change. Thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Generally three As at A2.

ReputationRep:
    AAA

A favourable GCSE background helps.

ReputationRep:
    For physics at least, a good performance in the PAT is essential

ReputationRep:
    AAA at A-Level and good GCSE grades.

Ability to speak well. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    for physics: maths and physics. FM is helpful (most people have it). And most people will have a fourth as well but that's just because they found whatever subject interesting (most of the time chemistry).

(Original post by CassCassCassie)
    Three As, a decent GCSE performance, a good Personal Statement.

That's usually enough for an interview. Once you get the interview, it's all about a killer performance, and just generally being the kind of person the tutors want to teach for the next 3 years.
    For physics you need to do well in the PAT and some tutors won't even read the PS. I don't think that unless you're a complete **** your personality is going to influence much in interviews (for physics). So basically you just have to nail the questions you get during the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    As Hobnob said, 3As at A2 level. For the IB the offers hover around the 40 mark.
    For physics, you will need to study Maths, Physics, and (preferably) F.Maths.

ReputationRep:
    We were told that a good indication of whether you were up for Oxford was the number of A*s. They said to us 6A*s were good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CassCassCassie)
    Three As, a decent GCSE performance, a good Personal Statement.

That's usually enough for an interview. Once you get the interview, it's all about a killer performance, and just generally being the kind of person the tutors want to teach for the next 3 years.
    basically ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilsenan)
    Hey, I'm at the GCSE stage of my education and am very consious of the decisions I'll have to make in the near-future, and I was just wondering what the minimum entry requirements are for Oxford University? I'm leaning towards a course In Physics at the moment, but obviously that could change. Thanks in advance.
    Grades don't technically matter, if you're applying to Oxford the grades shouldn't be an issue, a string of A*s at GCSE and AAA at a level, probably A*AA by the time you get there. What really matters is the entrance test, the interview and your personal statement, because EVERYONE applying will have top grades.

ReputationRep:
    dtf8yiupjonm

ReputationRep:
    Usually AAA as people have said, but possibly A*AA or higher by the time you apply. I was told at least 5 A*s were needed at GCSE to have a chance of being successful when applying too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Is it percentage of A*?.....im in big **** then!!!!.....need 8 just to get 50%!
    No. GCSE's are far less important than most people doing GCSE's think. If you got 5A* that should be more than enough for an interview providing good PS, scores in any tests and UMS at AS. It's not done on a percentage of GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    yughik'ljgufyd
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    No.
    It is for medicine.

and the average candidate that was called for interview last year had 88% A* (its based on GCSEs and BMAT).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    It is for medicine.
    My mistake then. For medicine, the more the better.:p:

edit: sorry for misinformation, I didn't realise he was looking at medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot too everyone who's replied. I have realistic ambitions of around 5-6 A* at GCSE, so I'll try my best I'm currently at B in maths though :/ However, with a good amount of revision I may be able too improve this - or perhaps Physics isn't for me :/ My results are just as good in other sciences though, so I have them to fall back on as I am just as enthusiastic about them as I am for Physics Thanks again, you've all been a great help.

ReputationRep:
    I have one A*... a lot of tutors couldnt care less about GCSEs. Decent A2 predictions, test score and interview performance are far more important.

Consistency is valuable for some courses though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for medicine at Oxford they select 425 candidates every year for interview. This is basically the top 385 or so candidates based on a calculated value based on percentage of A*s at GCSE and BMAT score.

Note that the BMAT score is weighted 40 : 40 : 20 for S1, S2 and S3 respectively.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.