The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

iMussolini

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8497291.stm

Why can't people take a joke or leave people be even if it isn't a joke.

I thought it was pretty funny, I haven't used the actual app but the idea seems creative.

They should make one for Hitler, Stalin and other respectable world leaders :biggrin:
Johnthebaptist1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8497291.stm

Why can't people take a joke or leave people be even if it isn't a joke.

I thought it was pretty funny, I haven't used the actual app but the idea seems creative.

They should make one for Hitler, Stalin and other respectable world leaders :biggrin:

Fascism and ultra-nationalism in Italy is no joke. Elements of the Italian right-wing [O Hai Bersulsconi!] do often idolise Mussolini as the pinnacle of the Italian right, despite the fact that he was a war criminal, a dictator and a tyrant.

It's all well and good for us Brits to be flippant about historic dictatorships in other countries, since we haven't experienced a dictatorship in the modern sense of the word unlike many other European nations. However, this application and it's popularity is a symbol of the serious, deep problems that Italy has in coping with fascism, and has had since the fascism-communism dichotomy first arose at the beginning of the 20th Century.
Aphotic Cosmos
Fascism and ultra-nationalism in Italy is no joke. Elements of the Italian right-wing [O Hai Bersulsconi!] do often idolise Mussolini as the pinnacle of the Italian right, despite the fact that he was a war criminal, a dictator and a tyrant.

It's all well and good for us Brits to be flippant about historic dictatorships in other countries, since we haven't experienced a dictatorship in the modern sense of the word unlike many other European nations. However, this application and it's popularity is a symbol of the serious, deep problems that Italy has in coping with fascism, and has had since the fascism-communism dichotomy first arose at the beginning of the 20th Century.

Fair enough I guess. You showed uninformed John :frown:.

End of thread.

Actually putting that into context, its a bit worrying (well not really) that it became the most popular app in Italy. Though I still think the best way to deal with it is just to let em get on with it.

Also, Gordon Brown + New Labour are pretty close to a dictatorship in the sense they are freedom hating tyrants.
Aphotic Cosmos

Mussolini wasn't that bad
Ironically banning something like this is the kind of thing authoritarians are known for doing.
The_Octopus
Ironically banning something like this is the kind of thing authoritarians are known for doing.

It hasn't been banned - the archives that own the film objected to it's usage and are challenging it, leading to it's removal from iTunes as it's the subject of an ongoing legal dispute.
Reply 6
Mussolini made the trains run on time:awesome: (or maybe he didn't) and he built the motorways. He did some good. He made wheat growing more productive per hectare than the USA, he rid malaria by draining lands and building new towns.

Although he failed in increasing population, removing trade unions and opposition, general oppression.

He wasn't completely bad.
Aphotic Cosmos
It hasn't been banned - the archives that own the film objected to it's usage and are challenging it, leading to it's removal from iTunes as it's the subject of an ongoing legal dispute.

To clarify I'm not saying it is being banned, only that to ban it would be ironic, should banning it be suggested. If the only thing stopping it is that the film is owned by someone else, I'm sure the makers can find some more Mussolini film somewhere.
Feeling in need of some fascistic inspiration? There's an app for that...
He really wasn't so terrible, a pathetic, weaker, less evil version of Hitler.

Political murder - yes; Matteoti crisis.
Genocide - not really. A few Communists were forced to drink castor oil and he wasn't the nicest guy ever but he wasn't totally heinous.
He was inefficient and not anti-semetic; Clara Petacci for instance. Plus he didn't implement anti-semetic policies until after Italy was bossed around by Nazi Germany.
He had to get sprung out of jail by Hitler ffs, he was a bit of an idiot.

I honestly don't think he was evil, just a bit powermad.
Mussolini: not such a bad bloke after all.
Bubbles*de*Milo
He really wasn't so terrible, a pathetic, weaker, less evil version of Hitler.

Political murder - yes; Matteoti crisis.
Genocide - not really. A few Communists were forced to drink castor oil and he wasn't the nicest guy ever but he wasn't totally heinous.
He was inefficient and not anti-semetic; Clara Petacci for instance. Plus he didn't implement anti-semetic policies until after Italy was bossed around by Nazi Germany.
He had to get sprung out of jail by Hitler ffs, he was a bit of an idiot.

I honestly don't think he was evil, just a bit powermad.

He's not just a dictator; he's an M&S dictator.
Silly_Wabbit
Feeling in need of some fascistic inspiration? There's an app for that...

:lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending