Turn on thread page Beta

Did the US really "save our ass" in WW2? watch

ReputationRep:
    Can the US really take all the credit for "saving Europe's ass" in WW2, or were the US simply a part of the greater Allied force? Americans often talk as if without US intervention, Germany were certain to take over Europe, but from what I can make of it this is ********. Americans seem to believe that they were the force who inflicted the greatest amount of damage to German forces.

The Americans were a great help to ultimately speeding the defeat of Germany up, but their intervention wasn't a make or break thing as Germany was already heavily weakened and demoralised by Russia. I certainly think the war could have been won without US intervention.

My opinion on the matter is the US didn't like the fact commies were ultimately considered the heros of the war, and as little information would be getting back to the US public that didn't go through the military, in a simplied way, I suspect the US Military were just telling the public they were kicking everyones ass. Also, Americans, being the sort of people they are, didn't like to think of themselves as merely being just a part of the greater force, they need to be the leaders, they need to be perceived as the ones kicking everyones ass.

Also, there's been much Holywood fabrication on the subject, even to the extent they've made the cracking of the Enigma code an American achivement.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. They just came in at last minute and stole our glory :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    No

/Thread

No, Russia did.

If we cheat on them, they will... crush us.

All the credit? Nah. The manpower was helpful though, wouldn't you agree?

ReputationRep:
    The US, UK and Russia all contributed in relatively equal measure.

The Americans certainly didn't save the UK - we did that ourselves a full year before America entered the war. We also won our own damn war in North Africa. However, American troops did play an important role in freeing much of Southern Europe, as well as France and Germany.

ReputationRep:
    A-level history student sez NO

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they saved us as in Britain from being conquered directly. However they were pretty crucial in keeping our island supplied during the German siege so in that way they did indeed save us.
    But Russia defeated the Nazis good and proper...

ReputationRep:
    No Russia did, but D-Day and the progress through western Europe wouldn't have happened without the states. Without the USA's involvement Russia would have probably pushed through Europe and communism would have stretched from France through to what was west Germany and through the Soviet satellite states.

ReputationRep:
    Russia supplied a good amount of force to keep the germans occupied while y'all were takin a good beating. Though I have to admit that we can't take all the glory I feel that England was pretty screwed if we hadn't sent y'all so much supplies. All the tanks we sent over and troops we sent over helped immensely as well. It was a joint effort but if you take away any of the three and the whole stack falls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    No, Russia did.
    Actually, I think you'll find that Malta did.

ReputationRep:
    We would have got a negotiated peace, gcse history **** yeah "Britain gave time, America gave money, and Russia gave blood"

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the majority of Americans could point out Germany on a map anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

The Americans certainly didn't save the UK - we did that ourselves a full year before America entered the war. We also won our own damn war in North Africa. However, American troops did play an important role in freeing much of Southern Europe, as well as France and Germany.
    Not in the slightest, Russia lost more people saving Stalingrad than the UK did throughout the whole 6 years. They paid a huge price in blood and managed to tie up a very large chunk of the German army for 4 years. Added to this the fact they captured the whole 3rd Army, nearly half a million soldiers, and god knows how much equipment. I have enormous respect for the Russians, but sadly the rise of the Berlin wall has left much of their story untold and lost for 60 years.

ReputationRep:
    No, but without US intervention we might be living in the Soviet Union now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

The Soviets contributed significantly more than any other allied force in WWII.

ReputationRep:
    Oh forgot also America did alot of the grunt work in the pacific islands, not saying we did it all but come on you have to admit we made the decisive move that ultimately ended the war.

(Original post by explosions hurt)
    We would have got a negotiated peace, gcse history **** yeah "Britain gave time, America gave money, and Russia gave blood"
    Hiter and peace are hard to put together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    I doubt the majority of Americans could point out Germany on a map anyway :p:
    South of Denmark, east or Belgium and France, west of Poland, and North of Austria and Switzerland. Go screw yourself

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm American and I do find this thread amusing. The Allies would have eventually defeated Hitler anyway, after he made the massive mistake of overextending his troops in Russia. However, you must of course acknowledge that the US helped save a lot of time and lives . . . by entering and asserting our superiority (haha just kidding).

Look at it like this: we sat on the bench while you guys wore their defense down...then we entered in the 85th minute to score the decisive blow and take all the credit : )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2012
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.