The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Simplicity
Well, America is pretty safe only intill modern times. But, lol America did profit greatly in terms of money and in terms of economy from WW2, hence why they probably joined.

Ironic, is that America is the only country that seems to be going to war now. From Cold war and say Vietnam, and now the Iraq war. I can understand the Iraq war as Iraq is rich on oil, hmm stealing others resources.

Vietnam we were helping out the french and then they bailed and we had to go it alone. The whole cold war america never fired a single shot... sorta. But why don't you look at russia and england

If you're talking about a waring nation look at yourself

Malayan Emergency 1948–1960
Korean War 1950–1953
Mau Mau Uprising 1952–1960
Cypriot Independence 1955–1959
Suez Crisis 1956–1957
Brunei Revolt 1962–1966
Dhofar Rebellion 1962–1975
Aden Emergency 1963
Operation Banner 1969–2007
Falklands War 1982
Gulf War 1990–1991
Yugoslav wars 1991–2001
Kosovo War 1998-1999

MMMMM hypocrisy it tastes soooooo gooooood :biggrin:
xSkyFire
The teeth thing was fixed long ago, drinking too much relative to other countries fair enough and I don't see what's wrong with drinking tea.
Was it something like 38% of Americans even believe in evolution? Americans also spending the most time in classrooms with the least results in the *world* ? It's pretty much known everywhere the US education system is retarded anyway lol

I don't know about Americans, but a BBC survey into Brits' views on evolution has found that there is really no difference between the US and UK views on evolution.

48 per cent of Britons opted for evolution as that which "best described their view of the origin and development of life", 22 per cent opted for creationism and 17 per cent for for intelligent design. The remainder of the pollees "did not know".
Reply 82
Texan88
Russia supplied a good amount of force to keep the germans occupied while y'all were takin a good beating. Though I have to admit that we can't take all the glory I feel that England was pretty screwed if we hadn't sent y'all so much supplies. All the tanks we sent over and troops we sent over helped immensely as well. It was a joint effort but if you take away any of the three and the whole stack falls.

yes because all those tanks and troops helped so much in the Battle of Britain - which i would like to point out was an air war over the skies of Britain.

Lets face it, if America hadn't entered the war in Europe, Hitler would of continued his war on Russia regardless and the Western front would of stayed in a mutual stalemate. Even Hitler himself didn't want to go to war with Britain, he wanted to emulate a German Empire simlar to Britains

Sorry if this has already been said, kinda late to the thread
Reply 83
Delta Usafa
They declared war on us without the capability to follow through with it. And they never would have been able to invade the US, it would have been a logistical nightmare. Especially after being weakened by the *hypothetical* submission of all of Europe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the exact same thing that stalin though?
It was an allied effort.

People tend to forget that the US completed dominated the pacific and took out the Japanese. Not only that, but along with Canada and the UK they opened up the Western front, which made it only a matter of time before the allies were victorious.

The US also financed the entire war and without their supplies, it could've become a completely different story.
Lot of simple minded people here saying'Russia Did' because they watched it on the history channel or their marxist history lecturer or teacher told them. Actually, while without Russia it would have been much harder for ourselves and the Yanks to beat the Germans without dropping a bucket of sunshine on them before they did on us.The Americans played a major role in defeating Germany and saved Europe from Soviet Russian domination, stopping the soviets from influencing all the countries that were formerly occupied by Nazis.Sadly it was too late for Poland and some others to escape it.

It became very clear to Britain and America in the later stages of the war who Stalin was and what he wanted to do. Once roosevelt died, America finally woke up like Churchill had long ago to the aims of the Soviet horde.Don't get me wrong, America had their own self interests for not wanting a soviet or Nazi dominated Europe. But I think if you ask the Germans is they preferred American occupation to soviet I think you would get an unsurprising answer considering the amount of Germans shot trying to get over the Berlin wall.

People also conveniently forget the convoys shipping arms and other materials to the soviets while they were occupied by the nazis. Where many Brits perished. I would love anyone to tell my Grandad who was in the Bombers that the soviets or the Yanks 'saved his ass'. Have some pride FFS. And listen less to a load of mentally isane leftists.
Stalin
It was an allied effort.

People tend to forget that the US completed dominated the pacific and took out the Japanese. Not only that, but along with Canada and the UK they opened up the Western front, which made it only a matter of time before the allies were victorious.

The US also financed the entire war and without their supplies, it could've become a completely different story.

You're biased, Joe.
RabbitCFH
You're biased, Joe.

How's Greenbay doing this year :wink:
Stalin
How's Greenbay doing this year :wink:

They did really well. Started off 4-4 but then made it to the Wildcard where they narrowly lost to the Cardinals. :frown:
Reply 89
Russia had made a non agression pact with Germany and Stalin actually sent materials to Germany that ended up being used for the invasion of France. Stalin was reluctant to do anything about Germany and in fact did nothing until they attacked Russia.

Britain will always be the heroes of WW2.
Some historians argue that America's intervention in WW1 and the subsequently crippling Treaty of Versailles lead WW2.
jonjon123
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the exact same thing that stalin though?

What?

friendly_fiend2
Some historians argue that America's intervention in WW1 and the subsequently crippling Treaty of Versailles lead WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_words
xSkyFire
The teeth thing was fixed long ago, drinking too much relative to other countries fair enough and I don't see what's wrong with drinking tea.
Was it something like 38% of Americans even believe in evolution? Americans also spending the most time in classrooms with the least results in the *world* ? It's pretty much known everywhere the US education system is retarded anyway lol

And yet the Americans are controlling the world's capital and their Ivy League universities are amongst the highest ranked in the world. You're just talking about rednecks... how many British farmers do you think could point out where the American War of Independence happened?
DDSVP1
Russia had made a non agression pact with Germany and Stalin actually sent materials to Germany that ended up being used for the invasion of France. Stalin was reluctant to do anything about Germany and in fact did nothing until they attacked Russia.

Britain will always be the heroes of WW2.

:rofl:

What utter crap.

Stalin knew very well what Hitler's intentions were, he made a pact in order to give himself time to create an army large enough to fight that of Hitler's. Why don't you read Mein Kampf and see for yourself just how he feels about communists.

Firstly, I said 'some historians argue', I didn't say it was neccesarily correct.

To elaborate on the point I was making, some historians believed that WW1 was in a stalemate until the Americans came in to the war and shifted the balance of power greatly to the allies. This sudden and late shift in the state of the conflict might have lead to such crippling conditions being imposed on Germany in the Treaty of Versaille.
friendly_fiend2
Firstly, I said 'some historians argue', I didn't say it was neccesarily correct.

To elaborate on the point I was making, some historians believed that WW1 was in a stalemate until the Americans came in to the war and shifted the balance of power greatly to the allies. This sudden and late shift in the state of the conflict might have lead to such crippling conditions being imposed on Germany in the Treaty of Versaille.

You wouldn't have preferred that Germany won WWI though, would you?

Also, while we may have helped win the war (though that's debatable), the terms of the Treaty of Versaille were all the makings of France and Britain.
rmorrison12
And yet the Americans are controlling the world's capital and their Ivy League universities are amongst the highest ranked in the world. You're just talking about rednecks... how many British farmers do you think could point out where the American War of Independence happened?

True. I don't see why so many people join in on the bandwagon of calling Americans dumb / ignorant. It's a diverse and developled country and a lot of science, technology and thinking has come out of the country.
Reply 97
Russia and the USA won the war.

France, Germany and the UK lost.

Russia's contribution massively overshadows that of the other allied forces. That isn't an attack on the effort of other allies such as the UK, Free French and the Americans but rather reflects the staggering sacrifice of Russia.

That was truly Russia's war and we should be grateful for that.

I honestly don't know what China is doing on that chart. Should be more like 85% Soviets.
Delta Usafa
You wouldn't have preferred that Germany won WWI though, would you?

Also, while we may have helped win the war (though that's debatable), the terms of the Treaty of Versaille were all the makings of France and Britain.

Though, if the allies won by only a margin; Britain and France would not have been in such a strong position and might have had to negotiate more leniant sanctions on Germany. Perhaps this might have avoided a second conflict.

As I said before, I never said I agree with this neccesarily, it's just a viewpoint that I have heard / read before. I think it's good to hear different views in a discussion.
friendly_fiend2
Though, if the allies won by only a margin; Britain and France would not have been in such a strong position and might have had to negotiate more leniant sanctions on Germany. Perhaps this might have avoided a second conflict.

As I said before, I never said I agree with this neccesarily, it's just a viewpoint that I have heard / read before. I think it's good to hear different views in a discussion.

Yeah. I doubt that they would have been more lenient in any case though. Germany would have been absolutely crushed in the end no matter what, and they would have used that to their advantage.

Latest

Trending

Trending