Turn on thread page Beta

Did the US really "save our ass" in WW2? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dispicable)
    A-level history student sez NO
    Yeh! this guy knows better:p:

ReputationRep:
    the war wouldn't have been won without the commitment of all 3 but more importantly let's remember that every single person that fought the axis won us the war, not one less

ReputationRep:
    no, they definitely helped, but essentially Russia were the saviours. and i like how they don't brag about it at every opportunity either. although in fairness the cold war followed. but still, if it was america they'd still brag about even if they played russia's role in the cold war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    i hate being quizzed on the atom bomb :rolleyes: it was funded by america and made for the use of america, so essentially it was american. besides if you're going to name physicists at least name the right ones. Einstein not only denied the ability to make a fission bomb but was also not allowed to work on it as the government believed as a pacifist he may try to ruin it. it was Oppenheimer, Bohr, Feynman etc who developed it
    He INITIALLY decided it wasn't possible but later realised it was, in fact, he wrote a letter to President Roosevelt encouraging America to create one before the Germans did, while it is true he later regretted it, the fact his signature was on the letter and he encouraged America to create the bomb was a big turning point - before that the project had only limited funds. He never worked on the bomb project itself - but the fact he was the one who really got the whole thing running properly speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't know about "SAVED our ass". They definitely GOT some British "ass" though. Just ask all the people who went without hot water bottles so that the British government could supply condoms. Oh, and the American government who claimed that British girls were "corrupting" their men. :rofl: Awww, poor lil American soldiers couldn't say no to sex.
    :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Just reply that with, "If it weren't for the British, they'd be speaking French", so we're equals. :shifty:
    :lol: Yeah it's a start I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way - the USSR had a nasty habit of expanding into Europe and demonstrated a clear desire to continue doing so. If the US was not involved, and your only 'saviours' were the Russians, I think there is a great likelihood that your next (very short) war would have been with them as they pushed all the way to the Atlantic. Europeans also like to conveniently forget that we pumped $13B (out of a GDP at the time of $248B, so a very large percentage of our national income) into Europe before the Marshall Plan. Then, during the Marshall plan, another $13B.

You can argue all day long whether we helped you win the war, but it was your backyard and not ours, so at the very least, a 'thank you' for the hundreds of thousands of lives we contributed to your conflict, and the massive amount of tax dollars, earned and paid to our government by hard-working Americans like me. We could easily have remained on our little island and stayed out of the war to let you find out on your own - if the Normandy invasion was not enough to convince you, an over-the-ocean landing and assault is a terribly bloody affair, and we could have likely waited-out the conflict with little fear of a successful invasion on our shores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustAnotherYank)
    Think of it this way - the USSR had a nasty habit of expanding into Europe and demonstrated a clear desire to continue doing so. If the US was not involved, and your only 'saviours' were the Russians, I think there is a great likelihood that your next (very short) war would have been with them as they pushed all the way to the Atlantic. Europeans also like to conveniently forget that we pumped $13B (out of a GDP at the time of $248B, so a very large percentage of our national income) into Europe before the Marshall Plan. Then, during the Marshall plan, another $13B.

You can argue all day long whether we helped you win the war, but it was your backyard and not ours, so at the very least, a 'thank you' for the hundreds of thousands of lives we contributed to your conflict, and the massive amount of tax dollars, earned and paid to our government by hard-working Americans like me. We could easily have remained on our little island and stayed out of the war to let you find out on your own - if the Normandy invasion was not enough to convince you, an over-the-ocean landing and assault is a terribly bloody affair, and we could have likely waited-out the conflict with little fear of a successful invasion on our shores.
    How did you end up resurrecting a thread that's been dead for nearly three years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Russia and the USA won the war.

France, Germany and the UK lost.

Russia's contribution massively overshadows that of the other allied forces. That isn't an attack on the effort of other allies such as the UK, Free French and the Americans but rather reflects the staggering sacrifice of Russia.

That was truly Russia's war and we should be grateful for that.

I honestly don't know what China is doing on that chart. Should be more like 85% Soviets.
    How?
    It is a shame that you know so little about one of the most important wars in history.

ReputationRep:
    not quite, but Alan Turing did

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2012
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.