Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I just finished my mocks and it sounds stupid but I was a bit depressed about getting an A in History. I know an A is supposed to be good but I feel like I can, and should be getting a better mark, especially as I plan to do History A level and I really enjoy the subject.

The problem is basically our teacher. Does he know his stuff? Definitely. Can he teach? Hell no. He doesn't really teach us, he reads out his notes to us and we're supposed to make our own notes from that. He goes into much more detail than we're supposed to and as a result we JUST finished listening to what we were supposed to know the lesson before the exam. Last year he didn't even finish "teaching" his class what they needed to know before their real GCSE

He gives us tests occasionally but he doesn't tell us how to answer questions. I think technique is a really important thing for history but I literally have not the slightest idea what the structure for our answers are supposed to be so even if I have good ideas and I know my stuff I just can't make a strong and structured argument because I HAVE NO IDEA how to go about it.

Another thing is he basically just dictates his notes to us - I don't need a teacher for that - I could just read it from the textbook! We don't retain as much information as we should and we lose sight of the most important aspects of subjects because we're so bogged down with all this extra, mostly irrelevant background info he tells us. I don't really know how to revise apart from reading my notes and writing new ones.

I'm sorry this is long but this guy has basically ruined one of my favourite subjects and I find it depressing that I'm getting A*s in subjects I hate, like Physics and Chemistry while I can't in a subject I love. I do feel like I can do this if I knew how to revise and how to structure my answers and obviously I'll revise more for the real thing than I did for the mock. We have quite a decent class in terms of intelligence yet we consistently get the lowest marks of all the other history sets and I think it is in part due to the teacher.

Please help, I wouldn't care so much if it was something I hate like maths. Any websites or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

ETA: Its AQA Modern World History if that helps...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, I got a D in my mock but raised it to an A* in my real exams! Just revise all your notes and stuff, alot. Try some practise questions, timing yourself to how you should time yourself in the exam. Stay calm, don't stress out too much and you'll be fine. Personally, I think mock exams are generally harder than real ones anyway, so you may do better! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    The best thing with history is to just revise your arse off and remember it all. Structuring it all is pretty basic, you just have to make sure you show you know what you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    iuygkiuh;l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    So, I just finished my mocks and it sounds stupid but I was a bit depressed about getting an A in History. I know an A is supposed to be good but I feel like I can, and should be getting a better mark, especially as I plan to do History A level and I really enjoy the subject.

The problem is basically our teacher. Does he know his stuff? Definitely. Can he teach? Hell no. He doesn't really teach us, he reads out his notes to us and we're supposed to make our own notes from that. He goes into much more detail than we're supposed to and as a result we JUST finished listening to what we were supposed to know the lesson before the exam. Last year he didn't even finish "teaching" his class what they needed to know before their real GCSE

He gives us tests occasionally but he doesn't tell us how to answer questions. I think technique is a really important thing for history but I literally have not the slightest idea what the structure for our answers are supposed to be so even if I have good ideas and I know my stuff I just can't make a strong and structured argument because I HAVE NO IDEA how to go about it.

Another thing is he basically just dictates his notes to us - I don't need a teacher for that - I could just read it from the textbook! We don't retain as much information as we should and we lose sight of the most important aspects of subjects because we're so bogged down with all this extra, mostly irrelevant background info he tells us. I don't really know how to revise apart from reading my notes and writing new ones.

I'm sorry this is long but this guy has basically ruined one of my favourite subjects and I find it depressing that I'm getting A*s in subjects I hate, like Physics and Chemistry while I can't in a subject I love. I do feel like I can do this if I knew how to revise and how to structure my answers and obviously I'll revise more for the real thing than I did for the mock. We have quite a decent class in terms of intelligence yet we consistently get the lowest marks of all the other history sets and I think it is in part due to the teacher.

Please help, I wouldn't care so much if it was something I hate like maths. Any websites or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

ETA: Its AQA Modern World History if that helps...
    I do the exact same exam and got a* in my mocks but our teacher is worse. Shes always 10mins late for class, and because shes te careers teacher as well during class time theres always 6th formers coming up to ask her for help with forms and persoal statements and whatever so she spends less than half the time teaching. Then she was off for for the 4 weeks leading up to christmas cos she got pregnant... You just have to learn over stuff yourself cos a lot of the time the questions are about your own interpretations but know your facts as well. You can't rely on te teacher, certainly not in my case anyway

ReputationRep:
    Go online and look at the mark schemes and see if you can find sample answers so you know what the examiners are looking for. For structuring essays, try and do what you have been taught in english about how to present your ideas clearly and make sure your answers are well-structured - you don't need to be taught how to do this, simple things like paragraphing and organising and explaining facts without just jotting them down in any old order. You can probably expect your grade to go up between now and May anyway, so don't panic yourself! Make sure you know your stuff and keep practising past papers (I found sourcework the hardest, and there are definite techniques for answering those sorts of questions so search online and see what you can find).

ReputationRep:
    You'll just have to memorise the content and do some past papers and look at mark schemes to get your technique right.

ReputationRep:
    take a dump on your history teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I do the exact same exam and got a* in my mocks but our teacher is worse. Shes always 10mins late for class, and because shes te careers teacher as well during class time theres always 6th formers coming up to ask her for help with forms and persoal statements and whatever so she spends less than half the time teaching. Then she was off for for the 4 weeks leading up to christmas cos she got pregnant... You just have to learn over stuff yourself cos a lot of the time the questions are about your own interpretations but know your facts as well. You can't rely on te teacher, certainly not in my case anyway
    Oh yeah, ours is always at least 10 minutes late which is a quarter of the lesson and he's off usually several times a month so I know what you mean. Well done on the A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    Oh yeah, ours is always at least 10 minutes late which is a quarter of the lesson and he's off usually several times a month so I know what you mean. Well done on the A*
    Thanks, guess we're on the same boat. Oh and you can get the 'revise for aqa modern world history' book i got one from whsmith and it's been a great help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    Go online and look at the mark schemes and see if you can find sample answers so you know what the examiners are looking for.

[...]

Make sure you know your stuff and keep practising past papers (I found sourcework the hardest, and there are definite techniques for answering those sorts of questions so search online and see what you can find).
    I completely agree.

My best advice to you would be not to try to be clever.
    Just hit the marks.
    Remember that they are looking for really specific things (such as cross-referencing with another source in some questions), and no matter how brilliant the rest of your answer is, you will still have to include these things to be able to get marks available - probably at the expense of actual intelligence.
    While I would not normally put forward any idea of checking boxes over intelligence, I think that there is just so much to learn with history that it's probably justifiable! :woo:

Only two in our year got the A* grade in history at GCSE.
    So don't be miffed with an A - it's still up there in the heights!

Oh and, do well in your coursework!
    But then again, you probably also thought of this one already :rolleyes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    And congratulations on your 888th post, Mathshamster!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.