Turn on thread page Beta

Blushing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this thread has been done a thousand times but I need help. I blush all the time. People often say that it's cute when a girl blushes, imagining slightly pink cheeks, but my entire face goes red, my heart rate speeds up and I just want to sink into a hole and die.

I go through spells of blushing constantly and not blushing often but now it seems to be on overdrive. It happens in college all the time if I get asked a question, if my name gets mentioned, if I have to speak in class at all. I know I should just try not to react but it happened the other day when I was eating tea with my family and my Mum said "you've gone red". When people say this to me my instant reaction is just to want to burst into tears. It bothers me so much.

It's a vicious cycle, the more I blush the more it bothers me, the more it bothers me the more I blush.
    I hate it I'm hoping to start uni this year and I don't want it to hold me back. I want to speak to people, especially guys without going red. I love people and being with people but this holds me back so much.

I'm thinking about hypnotherapy as apparently it can work in some cases. The problem is I don't have much money, I don't know where they do hypnotherapy and I'm worried that as soon as I stop going the problem will come back. Has anyone else had hypnotherapy and did it work?

ReputationRep:
    this is the strangest problem i have ever heard lol

but seriously are you very shy about things or do you sometimes blush for no reason?

ReputationRep:
    I can totally sympathise :sadnod: When I blush, I blush badly. It's not that bad on my face/cheeks, but on my chest and neck.

I don't know what to say really, other than I hope you manage to get it sorted out

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm quite a quiet person, but I'm not so shy that I never talk to people! I'm quite confident compared to some people I know, I'm good at talking to people who I don't know and starting conversations I'm not a social recluse!
    But I still blush all the time! I get hot, my heart speeds up, my throat feels like it's tightening and I try to distract myself but I feel like an idiot!
    I don't actually know if when I get hot I've gone red, I might stay a normal colour but I can't see myself and see how bad it gets! I obviously go red a lot though because people comment about it which helps the situation so much!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I feel your pain. I am exactly the same. I blush literally all the time, for no good reason- the only way I can deal with it is to not get upset/ offended when people mention it, and as far as possible pretend that everything is normal! I'm sorry I don't have any useful advice about hypnotherapy, but just thought I'd let you know I understand how annoying it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I'm sure this thread has been done a thousand times but I need help. I blush all the time. People often say that it's cute when a girl blushes, imagining slightly pink cheeks, but my entire face goes red, my heart rate speeds up and I just want to sink into a hole and die.

I go through spells of blushing constantly and not blushing often but now it seems to be on overdrive. It happens in college all the time if I get asked a question, if my name gets mentioned, if I have to speak in class at all. I know I should just try not to react but it happened the other day when I was eating tea with my family and my Mum said "you've gone red". When people say this to me my instant reaction is just to want to burst into tears. It bothers me so much.

It's a vicious cycle, the more I blush the more it bothers me, the more it bothers me the more I blush.
    I hate it I'm hoping to start uni this year and I don't want it to hold me back. I want to speak to people, especially guys without going red. I love people and being with people but this holds me back so much.

I'm thinking about hypnotherapy as apparently it can work in some cases. The problem is I don't have much money, I don't know where they do hypnotherapy and I'm worried that as soon as I stop going the problem will come back. Has anyone else had hypnotherapy and did it work?
    I get that too, although probably not to the same extent.

I've found that wearing a foundation that covers the blushing made a big difference to my confidence, to the point where I don't blush so much any more, and if I do, I tend to make a joke about it, so that I'm "in control" of the situation - i.e. I get in there before anyone else does, so they don't make fun.

If it's really bothering you, go have a chat with your GP. It could be an anxiety issue that's causing you to get so embarrassed.

There is a cosmetic procedure where they laser the blood vessels in your face so that they can't flare up so easily, but I don't think that they do it on the NHS, except for extreme cases.

Hope you manage to get something sorted. I know how embarrassing it can feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I get that too, although probably not to the same extent.

I've found that wearing a foundation that covers the blushing made a big difference to my confidence, to the point where I don't blush so much any more, and if I do, I tend to make a joke about it, so that I'm "in control" of the situation - i.e. I get in there before anyone else does, so they don't make fun.

If it's really bothering you, go have a chat with your GP. It could be an anxiety issue that's causing you to get so embarrassed.

There is a cosmetic procedure where they laser the blood vessels in your face so that they can't flare up so easily, but I don't think that they do it on the NHS, except for extreme cases.

Hope you manage to get something sorted. I know how embarrassing it can feel.
    I don't like caking myself in foundation though! When I'm in a good mood I can sometimes joke about it like I told my friend that I hoped I didn't get asked a question in class or I'd have to start stripping off all my clothes which made us both laugh. But it really bothers me. It's just the feeling I get with it, going all hot and my heart feeling like it's in my throat is really uncomfortable and it makes everything worse!
    I don't know if I'd go to the extent of laser treatment but I would consider it if I knew it would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I don't like caking myself in foundation though! When I'm in a good mood I can sometimes joke about it like I told my friend that I hoped I didn't get asked a question in class or I'd have to start stripping off all my clothes which made us both laugh. But it really bothers me. It's just the feeling I get with it, going all hot and my heart feeling like it's in my throat is really uncomfortable and it makes everything worse!
    I don't know if I'd go to the extent of laser treatment but I would consider it if I knew it would work.
    I use mineral stuff like LilyLolo - really good coverage without looking like you're caked in make-up.

You need to find the reason that you're blushing before you'll get rid of the stuff that goes with it - like the hot feeling, and pounding heart. It's all part and parcel of the same thing. For me, as I said, it was a confidence thing - I've always been shy - but as soon as I started to not worry about blushing because I knew my make-up was hiding it, I found I was blushing a lot less.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.