Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Drop out or get a 2:2/Third, which is better? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Iive got myself into an EXTREME pickle with my degree (not told parents, and my personal tutor is being extremely unresponsive on the matter). I'm a second year and struggling horrendously with a law degree. I don't enjoy law, and am finding it an immense struggle getting the work done because of this and health reasons.

I can get 60s-70s in essays, but doing this literally exhausts me, and I can tell it will be beyond miraculous for me to get anything higher than a 2:2 overall.

So what is seen as better by employers. Being a University drop-out, or a lower-grade student?

ReputationRep:
    Well you can either have an Honours degree at a 2:2 or, er, no degree at all.

Seriously, think about it.

Though if you're having health problems/not enjoying it, then that might be something to talk to your tutor/head of dept about...but dropping out simply because you might get a 2:2 is plain stupid.

ReputationRep:
    law is a hard subject. you are meant to put effort in. its meant to exhaust you.

i am absolutely shattered, non stop during term time. just live with it.

and if you really hate the subject that much, then actually go see your personal tutor in person and get it sorted out. don't just drop out because you think you may do badly

ReputationRep:
    I'm first year zoology student and i'm dropping out. I can pass my exams but hell it includes me working my balls off (if I had any). I'd like be a "zoologist" but the modules are so boring and obsessed with genetics and chemistry. I rather be working with actual animals than poking things and using microscopes...enough of my issues

If you drop out would you persue another degree? May be costly if the funding doesn't cover it. I don't know much about law...my brother got a 2:2 and hes in a good job working for new york stock exchange. But law, is a different ball game I suppose.

I guess it depends on what you would do if you did drop out. And if staying on is going to make you miserable..you've lasted a while seeing you've made it to 2nd year which is another thing to consider.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get 60%-70% and you don't like to because you have to wrok your ass off

drink more coffee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Iive got myself into an EXTREME pickle with my degree (not told parents, and my personal tutor is being extremely unresponsive on the matter). I'm a second year and struggling horrendously with a law degree. I don't enjoy law, and am finding it an immense struggle getting the work done because of this and health reasons.

I can get 60s-70s in essays, but doing this literally exhausts me, and I can tell it will be beyond miraculous for me to get anything higher than a 2:2 overall.

So what is seen as better by employers. Being a University drop-out, or a lower-grade student?
    If you get a degree you don't have to tell your employers about it. So surely it's better to get a low-grade degree which you can use as and when it's needed than not have one at all?

ReputationRep:
    What year are you in? It may be worth switching to a different course :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    If you get a degree you don't have to tell your employers about it.
    No, but there will be a gap of a few years in the person's CV and an employer will want to know why that is.

OP, if you're genuinely not enjoying your course see if you can change. it's never too late. Even if you just stick with it this year at least you'll have a diploma, don't drop out now. Also, don't think that just because you leave now you'll be branded a drop out for ever. Lots of people leave and return to education later (one year, five years, twenty years down the line).

But have a word with your tutor or, if he/she really is being unresponsive about it, anyone in your department (head of departmen?) How many hours are you putting in, are you going any extra-curricular activities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No, but there will be a gap of a few years in the person's CV and an employer will want to know why that is.

OP, if you're genuinely not enjoying your course see if you can change. it's never too late. Even if you just stick with it this year at least you'll have a diploma, don't drop out now. Also, don't think that just because you leave now you'll be branded a drop out for ever. Lots of people leave and return to education later (one year, five years, twenty years down the line).

But have a word with your tutor or, if he/she really is being unresponsive about it, anyone in your department (head of departmen?) How many hours are you putting in, are you going any extra-curricular activities?
    Ditto, if you're not enjoying it and having health issues then it's not worth it.

Ask yourself what you'd like to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    If you can get 60%-70% and you don't like to because you have to wrok your ass off

drink more coffee
    Drinking a glass or two of wine makes essays a tad nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    wine :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    just makes me sleepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)

Is this a trick question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Tell them you were working in Haiti as a volunteer Aid worker for a small NGO - rebuilding homes, working in food programs, or reuniting orphans with their families or something.

If you cut up some onions just before the interview you might be able to do a very convincing story complete with a watery eyes effect.

ReputationRep:
    Im aiming for a 3rd, i enjoy going out most night, getting off my face and bringing random (sometimes of the larger variety) girls back to mine.

Uni is all about the luagh not the degree

ReputationRep:
    Keep working your ass off, even if it exhausts you. If you can manage a 2:2 you will be a lot better off than as a drop-out. Then you can also do a masters if you feel you are more interested in something else, instead of having to start all over again with an undergrad...

ReputationRep:
    A 2:2 doesn't mean you're going to be unemployable, and you'll have a better chance with it than without it. My mum has a 2:2 in law and she's now a partner in a decent firm. It's probably more competitive now though...

ReputationRep:
    Better a 2:2 or a third than no degree at all, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaz2)
    Im aiming for a 3rd, i enjoy going out most night, getting off my face and bringing random (sometimes of the larger variety) girls back to mine.

Uni is all about the luagh not the degree
    yes, we can tell by your spelling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
    I'm first year zoology student and i'm dropping out. I can pass my exams but hell it includes me working my balls off (if I had any). I'd like be a "zoologist" but the modules are so boring and obsessed with genetics and chemistry. I rather be working with actual animals than poking things and using microscopes...enough of my issues
    What did you expect? Sitting around playing with puppies and feeding kittens all day?

Genetics and chemistry are both fascinating. Although why you'd be studying chemistry as a zooloist is beyond me. Bio chemistry perhaps.

Anyway, yes. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.