Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just been rejected by Loughborough but have been made an offer from Coventry and will hopefully get one from City. I really wanted to go to Loughborough though as it is the one I liked most and was best for the course. Should I wait another year and apply next year or accept an offer from what I would consider to be second best?

I am 20 now so would be a mature student when applying next year - I am not sure how many people start university at this age.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think age is too much of an issue as people go to uni at all sorts of ages... i would however say think long and hard, would you be happy going this year? Because don't go because you feel it is too late but don't really want to go, it would be far better to wait.
    That being said, if you wait a year are you more likely to get in next year or not?!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe accept an offer then see if lboro have space in clearing? If they do then you can drop the current offer and apply in clearing. Its a bit of a risky strategy, but I know an old school friend who was desperate to go to Aberdeen, was rejected, then got in via clearing....

ReputationRep:
    Wait. Unis look more favourably on grades that you actually have than predicted ones, so even if you only get what you're predicted now you stand at least a slightly better chance. Also, you'll have an amazing year, whether you choose to travel or just stay home and work and meet some great new people that way
    All but one of my flatmates are over 20 and none of them seem to have problems with being a bit older, so don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainwiz)
    I have just been rejected by Loughborough but have been made an offer from Coventry and will hopefully get one from City. I really wanted to go to Loughborough though as it is the one I liked most and was best for the course. Should I wait another year and apply next year or accept an offer from what I would consider to be second best?

I am 20 now so would be a mature student when applying next year - I am not sure how many people start university at this age.
    i would probably go for it this year if your happy enough to go to coventry or city. university is getting harder and harder to get into every year and they're talking about putting the fees up. the age isn't really an issue but it depends on whether you would be comfortable or not with it as some people don't like hanging around with those who are a few years younger

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies - I think I shall probably wait until next year. I do have have some other options which I am considering.

ReputationRep:
    I am considering City University now as it is my 2nd best choice and it does actually look quite good. I believe it has a good reputation for employability which I think is quite important at the current time. Anyone know what it is like there?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.