Turn on thread page Beta

How much of your music do you actually buy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol none, the first time i downloaded a song (whilst paying for it) was during that whole rage against the machine vs joe from x factor.

It was worth it coz the song is awesome

when i rip songs from a CD to my laptop and put them on my mp3 player it doesnt work

ReputationRep:
    I listen to mine on Spotify.

ReputationRep:
    I also listen to a lot of music on Youtube. I only buy/download ones that I really like and really want on my iPod, cos I don't think I could fit every single song in the world that I like on my iPod, lol.

ReputationRep:
    About 0.1% and that tends to be rare stuff that I can't find anywhere on the internet for free.

ReputationRep:
    I buy them all. Purely for sound quality rather than any moral issue (Before that I got them off youtube, and I wouldn't like to use a site like limewire or whatever it is the kids use)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    There is an argument for downloading music through torrents (because it's free) but I don't understand why you would want to pay to download an inferior quality version from iTunes when you can buy the CD.
    There are places other than itunes pay for music. itunes is just ****.

and you cant buy single tracks with cds, and they cost more than a download.

ReputationRep:
    Some of these replies make me feel a bit better about my .. habits. Though I will start buying my favourite albums again

ReputationRep:
    About 20%, which I'm quite ashamed of. If I could afford to I would buy most of my music, but at the moment I only purchase CDs from less popular artists on independent labels. I try to go to as many gigs as possible though which I'm sure helps more.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'm actually very nineties. What with no internet at home and restricted access at school, I have no access to free sites, so I buy all my music in the form of CDs, and then rip the tracks and put them on iTunes on my computer. Doesn't help that I can't really do much filesharing at school as I seem to be the only person with my taste in music in my year at school lol :p: the stack of CDs I have at home is getting pretty impressive now though!

ReputationRep:
    One, RATM

(Or twice if you include buying the same song twice :p:)

ReputationRep:
    none of it.. :lolwut: :shy2: :angelblush:

ReputationRep:
    4 songs of over 12,000...

ReputationRep:
    I've bought all 7142 songs in my iTunes.

Would you shoplift a CD? Because it's basically the same thing if you download the songs illegally.

ReputationRep:
    More than I realised - I buy a lot of cheap CDs in HMV sales.

I do download for free unless I can't find the song then I do pay for the download.

ReputationRep:
    Its been about two years since I last paid for music, and that was second hand...

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing better than buying an album, sticking it in a CD player and enjoying it the way it is supposed to be enjoyed.

I'm a sucker for CD collections so I don't download very often.

I iTunes only if it's 1 track I want. If I want an album, I'll buy from the shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I've bought all 7142 songs in my iTunes.

Would you shoplift a CD? Because it's basically the same thing if you download the songs illegally.
    It's not really.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's something quite nice about actually having the CD physically in my possession so I buy most of my music from the shop... I listen to alot on Spoitfy but don't think I've ever illegally downloaded music.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the band... a lot of stuff I'll download for free but if it's like indie or rock or something I like having the album. For one a lot of albums don't 'make sense' (for want of a better word) unless you listen to it the whole way through. The XX was definitely like that for me, didn't really get them until I heard the album in full. Also, I quite like just having the album as a physical thing... totally agree with the guy earlier who said he's looking forward to having a big CD collection.

In the past week I've bought 6 albums

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.