Turn on thread page Beta

i'm a flirt and i can't seem to help it watch

i have a boyfriend that i love to bits. i honestly think the world of him, before anyone assumes i don't. we've been together for four months and he's affectionate and loving so i have no reason to feel insecure. but i am. i secretly love getting attention from other boys, i feel like the fact that my boyfriend thinks i'm beautiful isn't enough. and i'm really ashamed about this

there's this one guy in particular that i have to spend alot of time with in work, who i admit i flirt quite alot with. he knows i have a boyfriend and he knows nothing is going to happen. but we are very flirty. i know i'd hate this if it was my boyfriend and another girl but i can't seem to stop myself doing it. it's like i need this other guy to want me aswell because just my boyfriend wanting me isn't enough. i get my fair share of attention from guys anyway so i really have no reason to be so ridiculously insecure that i have to behave like this. someone please help me

ReputationRep:
    I think you're screwed. You'll end up hurting your boyfriend emotionally. If you don't stop this, there's going to be issues of trust.

He might end up trusting you less, since you want so much attention.

ReputationRep:
    Solution: become gay (lesbian).

ReputationRep:
    If you actually loved him you'd stop.

ReputationRep:
    There was a girl at my school who sounds exactly like you. She ended up with no friends and a lot of people (both guys and girls) eventually turned against her. If you have a boyfriend you should be loyal to him. It's normal to be attracted to other people, but don't relish in it and deliberately flirt. If you keep it up then eventually the decent guys won't trust you, you'll get a certain 'reputation' and you won't have a boyfriend to tell you you're beautiful. Everybody loves attention and everybody flirts, but would you honestly rather trade a few flirty exchanges for a real committed relationship that you seem to have now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    There was a girl at my school who sounds exactly like you. She ended up with no friends and a lot of people (both guys and girls) eventually turned against her. If you have a boyfriend you should be loyal to him. It's normal to be attracted to other people, but don't relish in it and deliberately flirt. If you keep it up then eventually the decent guys won't trust you, you'll get a certain 'reputation' and you won't have a boyfriend to tell you you're beautiful. Everybody loves attention and everybody flirts, but would you honestly rather trade a few flirty exchanges for a real committed relationship that you seem to have now?
    OH MY GOD. This. +Rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    oh my god so this. there was a girl at my school who the same ;/ everyone started talking about her calling her a hoe etc she said stuff like "i just cant help flirting" but that flirting led to her cheating on 7 bfs and eventualy everyone just hated her she had like 3 friends .

I SUGGEST YOU STOP IF I WAS YOUR BF I WOULD BE SO UPSET ;/ flirting is something your other half will hate. i use to flirt alot until one day i went to far (not by much but enough) that my gf just ignored me for a week and i dont blame her for that i would of done the same, well got pissed atleast

(fail spelling is down to it being midnight :P)
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Let's not forget that this thread is in itself an example of how desperate the OP is to have people pay attention to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat.american.kid)
    Let's not forget that this thread is in itself an example of how desperate the OP is to have people pay attention to her.
    THIS!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4U3in9llA

:danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, right.
    Flirting in itself, even if you're in a relationship, isn't bad - so long as it doesn't hurt the other person. Some people are just very friendly, and if there is no immoral intention there, there's no harm done.

However, it sounds like this is more than just being friendly - this is a need for attention, which sounds like some deeper issue. Before you had a boyfriend, did you have any sort of need for attention like this? Could it be a fear of missing out on something?

What's good is that you've a) identified that this could be a potential issue and b) know that if your partner did it to you, you'd be upset. Maybe just ease up on the flirting thing, and have a think about what could be causing this. Also, if you feel brave enough, speak to your boyfriend - find out how he feels about all of this.

Take care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Finally some sense, instead of everyone being all 'LOL YOU'RE A HOE ***** SLAAAG'.

This attention seeking seems to be the issue, not the flirting in itself.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of girls do this...its called being a attention seeking, insecure, slut.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.