Turn on thread page Beta

Did I make a mistake? :-/ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to get downhearted at this point. I've had 2 rejections from my chosen universities and no offers yet. Durham will likely reject me so it's down to 2 !

Was it a mistake perhaps to include a poor set of A2 results?

1x D grade
    2x E grades

...doesn't look great does it? I'm a mature student returning to education, I'd like to think my motivation to want to do this is a contributing factor but are the universities looking at possible top achievement?

I'm a lot more focused now than I ever was when I sat those exams and felt that I really let myself down... is it coming back to bite me? Should I have left those results off of the UCAS form?

ReputationRep:
    Wait and see what other offers come in, and if it comes to the worst then just resit some of the A Level things next year and re apply.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had to include the results you've got anyway so I don't think it was avoidable.

It's not a mistake but it won't have helped your application - I'm sure you know that Durham etc are looking for the highest grades. You know that you're capable of alot more than what you've got because as you said, you're more motivated now, but universities need educational proof I would have thought...

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, I almost think Durham was a wasted choice but I've had the opportunity of looking around and getting a vibe for the place and it would be a dream come true (a dream it will likely remain) :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeSchmoe)
    It's easy to get downhearted at this point. I've had 2 rejections from my chosen universities and no offers yet. Durham will likely reject me so it's down to 2 !

Was it a mistake perhaps to include a poor set of A2 results?

1x D grade
    2x E grades

...doesn't look great does it? I'm a mature student returning to education, I'd like to think my motivation to want to do this is a contributing factor but are the universities looking at possible top achievement?

I'm a lot more focused now than I ever was when I sat those exams and felt that I really let myself down... is it coming back to bite me? Should I have left those results off of the UCAS form?
    You had to put them in, I'm afraid, so there's no mileage in worrying about whether that was a mistake.

I'd wait and see what happens - you have aimed high with some of your choices, but it doesn't mean that you'll end up with a full house of rejections. What I would suggest, given that you are a mature student, is that you contact the unis that have rejected you and ask them for feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of your application. It could be that your personal statement wasn't as strong as it needed to be. In your shoes, I'd take a view once all the decisions are in, and if need be go round again next year with actual results from your current course and a really top-notch PS. The other thing to bear in mind is that if you do end up with rejections and/or offers you don't really want, it is worth looking at Extra. Some good unis with a flexible attitude to mature students - even for History! - are usually in Extra. These things have a habit of working out for the best. See my sig for links to relevant Wiki pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You had to put them in, I'm afraid, so there's no mileage in worrying about whether that was a mistake.

I'd wait and see what happens - you have aimed high with some of your choices, but it doesn't mean that you'll end up with a full house of rejections. What I would suggest, given that you are a mature student, is that you contact the unis that have rejected you and ask them for feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of your application. It could be that your personal statement wasn't as strong as it needed to be. In your shoes, I'd take a view once all the decisions are in, and if need be go round again next year with actual results from your current course and a really top-notch PS. The other thing to bear in mind is that if you do end up with rejections and/or offers you don't really want, it is worth looking at Extra. Some good unis with a flexible attitude to mature students - even for History! - are usually in Extra. These things have a habit of working out for the best. See my sig for links to relevant Wiki pages
    Thank you that's some great advice. It's just frustrating...

1 year for the access course
    3 years for the History degree
    1 year for teacher training

...oh, and perhaps 1 more year to get into uni in the first place. We're not on this planet for long, I'll end up hitting 40 before I get qualified :s

Some very useful links there, I wish I'd seen them before I'd written my PS but I didn't consider it to be too different from the suggestions made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeSchmoe)
    Thank you that's some great advice. It's just frustrating...

1 year for the access course
    3 years for the History degree
    1 year for teacher training

...oh, and perhaps 1 more year to get into uni in the first place. We're not on this planet for long, I'll end up hitting 40 before I get qualified :s

Some very useful links there, I wish I'd seen them before I'd written my PS but I didn't consider it to be too different from the suggestions made.
    Don't worry; you'll get there when you need to. Just keep faith with yourself.

I don't know how mobile you are, but I would very much recommend looking at Lancaster, QMUL, and RHUL for history. All three are usually in Extra (and have often been in Clearing too) - but they have great departments and are mistakenly under-rated by the "omg it has to be LSE" mob. Check out the History forum on here for some more feedback from the front!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.