Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law student, arrested for being drunk and disorderly, issued with £80 penalty... watch

ReputationRep:
    Police seems to be utter rubbish everywhere!
    Really arrogant and sure bound to get back at you when they are sure no ones around.
    Thing is you cant prove nothing and its just your word against theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, this makes me wonder. Does anyone know if a court order for failure to pay student debt will have any impact on a legal career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Jelly)
    Thanks for your post.

There is a chance of me being convicted though, if I do appeal, right? Are you suggesting I appeal? Or are you advising me to get a solicitor so I can ask them whether a fine is ever likely to come up?
    Don't listen to the other person, you have to declare cautions/warnings too.

This is why I dislike the police. They have no respect for our legal system, encouraging people not to appeal.

If you appeal, it means they have to put a case together, it means they have to do work. The sole reason they told you not to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    My D&D didn't show up on my CRB for teaching...

ReputationRep:
    I went to court for my drunk and disorderly and just got a small fine. No record as long as I kept my head down for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    Don't listen to the other person, you have to declare cautions/warnings too.

This is why I dislike the police. They have no respect for our legal system, encouraging people not to appeal.

If you appeal, it means they have to put a case together, it means they have to do work. The sole reason they told you not to appeal.

Have you ever made an application to a law firm? You don't declare cautions/warnings; only convictions. Though as chalks said, you'll have to mention it for the sra to take your LPC; but it's not realistically going to stop you becoming a solicitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    That doesn't mean you are on the PNC as a convicted criminal. It just means the police have your photo, fingerprint and DNA.

Secondly, reading the above facts it seems like you definitely have a case.

Do not pay, go to a solicitor. Preferably through soemone you know/uses the solicitor regularly or knows well.

It doens't matter about the date on the FPN if you are going to challenge it. You don't have to accept it.

They will have to provide evidence is all I am saying. I can't really say much more than that. I'm sure others on here might be able to help you better.

Did you give a police interview?

The best advice I can give you is definitely go to a solicitor and get sound legal advice.

This is something that can affect your career prospects so challenge it all costs. Like i said before at most, you'll end up with a £100 fine rather than £80 (or even less maybe) and you'll have to pay some costs. If it came down to that, your solicitor will argue costs and claim you are student with no regular income and to allow you to pay it by standing order @ £5 p/w.

But go to a solicitor, you have every chance of being found not guilty.
    If you have been warned by the police.....and pleaded guilty (offence happened at 16) is this listed on the police database?

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere in this thread have I asked for any comment on the lawfulness of my actions.

Bottom line - you weren't there, so you don't know what you're talking about.
    This is not the place to ask for advice. Most of this thread is rubbish, except for Chalks' posts (who is a Solicitor). So call SRA as he says.

However it is worth noting, however hard you try to mitigate this (troubled past, encouraged out by my flatmate, unlucky) this is entirley your fault (drunken "memory" is never remotely realistic), and as an adult who wants to be a lawyer you have to accept responsibility for your own actions. You don't seem remotely concerned that you actually did this, and your attitude/comments about "your intelligence" and looks "they were fatties" will come back to haunt you if you express these views innapropriately in real life.

You will almost certainly be okay re: carrer (if of course you have the academics, ECs and personality required), but if nothing else at least learn a lesson from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerryTerry)
    Have you ever made an application to a law firm? You don't declare cautions/warnings; only convictions. Though as chalks said, you'll have to mention it for the sra to take your LPC; but it's not realistically going to stop you becoming a solicitor.
    Thats what I said.. 'to the relevent professional body' in this case = SRA for solicitors and whatever the equivalent for Barristers is.

I also pointed out i'm not a lawyer/law student :tongue:

(Original post by Jakko247)
    If you have been warned by the police.....and pleaded guilty (offence happened at 16) is this listed on the police database?
    I can't say to be honest, only way to find out is to ask the police (take a passport with you), if their not busy they might look it up for you there and then.

For a proper PNC reference you have to pay £10 DPA fee and provide a passport copy and apply for it through the post, each regional force has their own department where you have to apply to. It can take up to 40 days to arrive.

ReputationRep:
    your lifes over.. I heard you get kicked off your course if you have a criminal record, and with it being a law degree LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO whos gonna employ you now?!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to you but to be honest you sound like a bit of an academic snob going about saying your more intelligent than a policemen-you just come across really arrogant when you say stuff like that.
    No wonder it was a revenge arrest!!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder on what grounds the OP thinks she is more intelligent than the old bill?

She sounds like a bit of a retard myself.

ReputationRep:
    I think all four Inns mention CRB checks on their websites and solicitor firms will also perform a CRB check as will any employer.

ReputationRep:
    You're Irish. I think they would be more worried if you didn't have a drunken disorderly and a couple of bomb charges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    your lifes over.. I heard you get kicked off your course if you have a criminal record, and with it being a law degree LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO whos gonna employ you now?!
    What a horrible and childish thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiddleMeThis)
    You're Irish. I think they would be more worried if you didn't have a drunken disorderly and a couple of bomb charges.
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    This is not the place to ask for advice. Most of this thread is rubbish, except for Chalks' posts (who is a Solicitor). So call SRA as he says.

However it is worth noting, however hard you try to mitigate this (troubled past, encouraged out by my flatmate, unlucky) this is entirley your fault (drunken "memory" is never remotely realistic), and as an adult who wants to be a lawyer you have to accept responsibility for your own actions. You don't seem remotely concerned that you actually did this, and your attitude/comments about "your intelligence" and looks "they were fatties" will come back to haunt you if you express these views innapropriately in real life.

You will almost certainly be okay re: carrer (if of course you have the academics, ECs and personality required), but if nothing else at least learn a lesson from it.
    To make a judgement on someone based on their actions when drunk is quite stupid. You don't know anything about me, and I did not post in this thread to be given advice on how to accept responsibility. That evening does not reflect my general behaviour or disposition. I know exactly what I am like when I am drunk - I am absolutely lovely to everyone as a default, but if someone gives me a reason not to be then I am not - and that is exactly what the police did, prompting my comment regarding my intelligence - AND YES I AM MORE INTELLIGENT THAN POLICE OFFICERS WHICH IS WHY I AM TRAINING TO BE A LAWYER - and funnily enough the duty solicitor fully agreed with me when I told her I said that comment. In my experience, police officers have inferiority complexes around lawyers and law students - and my experience prior to this was purely as a victim. As soon as you mention you are a law student, no matter how you say it they get on their high horse and start attacking you for no reason. Police are PATHETIC and the way I was treated that evening, I have every right to call those two ******* who stripped me naked in a police cell fatties because it is true and it makes me feel slightly better that someone could do something like that when the only thing I wanted was to get my jacket back from a bouncer and go home. The bouncer was the one acting in a disorderly fashion, and that is that. The whole experience was extremely traumatic for me so anyone that laughs at my expense can quite frankly, **** off.

I will call the SRA as I already said, the subject is now closed. Carry on trying to laugh at my misfortune, but the chances are the people doing that have lives less fortunate than mine so I can understand you trying to derive some pleasure from the misfortune of others. I hope you all grow up some day though.

ReputationRep:
    To make a judgement on someone based on their actions when drunk is quite stupid. You don't know anything about me, and I did not post in this thread to be given advice on how to accept responsibility.
    Actually, we know one thing about you conclusively: you were charged with being drunk and disorderly. You refuse to take responsibility for being drunk; being drunk is unquestionably your responsibility. I feel quite comfortable making judgments about people who get drunk and don't own up to the consequences of doing so. I, too, get drunk on occasion; I also know that I'm responsible for my behaviour.

That evening does not reflect my general behaviour or disposition. I know exactly what I am like when I am drunk - I am absolutely lovely to everyone as a default, but if someone gives me a reason not to be then I am not - and that is exactly what the police did, prompting my comment regarding my intelligence - AND YES I AM MORE INTELLIGENT THAN POLICE OFFICERS WHICH IS WHY I AM TRAINING TO BE A LAWYER -
    I would advise you not to talk this attitude if and when you have to deal with the police ever again. If you speak to the police this way and the firm you work for finds out, you will be up **** creek.

and funnily enough the duty solicitor fully agreed with me when I told her I said that comment. In my experience, police officers have inferiority complexes around lawyers and law students - and my experience prior to this was purely as a victim. As soon as you mention you are a law student, no matter how you say it they get on their high horse and start attacking you for no reason. Police are PATHETIC and the way I was treated that evening, I have every right to call those two B!tches who stripped me naked in a police cell fatties because it is true and it makes me feel slightly better that someone could do something like that when the only thing I wanted was to get my jacket back from a bouncer and go home. The bouncer was the one acting in a disorderly fashion, and that is that. The whole experience was extremely traumatic for me so anyone that laughs at my expense can quite frankly, fcuk off.
    I'm sure it was traumatic. Why did you not lodge a complaint for how you were treated? Complaining here, where no one can help you and no one except Chalks has given you appropriate advice, smacks of whining. It also smacks of poor judgment. Have you complained about how you were treated? Surely as a law student you know that there are limits to police power--if you feel the police violated your rights, speak up.

(Original post by Green jelly)
    I will call the SRA as I already said, the subject is now closed. Carry on trying to laugh at my misfortune, but the chances are the people doing that have lives less fortunate than mine so I can understand you trying to derive some pleasure from the misfortune of others. I hope you all grow up some day though.
    I don't want to laugh at your misfortune (and indeed I haven't.) But throughout this thread you have failed *utterly* to acknowledge that no one forced you to get drunk. Being an adult includes recognising that our actions are our own. Even if you don't usually behave a certain way, getting so drunk you make poor judgments like challenging police officers over their intellect suggests you should drink less on nights out. If that wasn't true at the time, it's certainly true now. However you perceive your behaviour when drunk, a bouncer and two police officers felt rather differently.

Sorry if that upsets you. Pay the penalty, get on with your life, and think about what got you into this situation in the first place--if you had exercised a little more restraint, you would have a better case.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by LuluLawless

I never said this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuluLawless)
    Originally Posted by LuluLawless

I never said this
    Whoa, really sorry about that. Let me fix my post.

Should be fixed now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.