Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dry and oily skin - face watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since I've been using quinoderm for my acne. I've started to get really really dry/red flaky skin and really oily/shiny skin.
    Could anyone recommend a good cream this? Greatly appreicated

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Savlon might help with the dryness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Savlon might help with the dryness
    Not on the face. That stuff is FAR too heavy to use there.

You need a good facial moisturiser: If you've got a local Lush, pop in there, and ask them for some advice (I'd probably try Cosmetic Lad, or maybe Enzymion moisturisers).

If you want something a bit cheaper, try a moisturiser with some kind of tea tree in - something like http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Tea-Tr...sturiser_8379/ might be quite good, as it will help balance the oil, but moisturise the dry bits as well.

If that doesn't work, you might need to try two different moisturisers, something like the tea tree one for your oily parts, and then a more 'hardcore' one for the really dry parts (http://www.boots.com/en/Nivea-For-Me...r-75ml_18698/).

Good luck with it, I know it can be really horrible when you can't get your skin to do what you want it to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    Since I've been using quinoderm for my acne. I've started to get really really dry/red flaky skin and really oily/shiny skin.
    Could anyone recommend a good cream this? Greatly appreicated
    I've got the same problem as you...I have dry AND oily skin
    I went to the dermatologist and he's told me to strictly stay away from any creams or moisturizers as they will definitely make my skin even more oily. So I have to sort of live with dry skin for now, until the weather gets better grr.
    But I can recommend some good face-wash and scrub if you want?

ReputationRep:
    try aloe vera gel, like the 99.9%, you can get it from any health food store, like holland and barrett. It saved my skin from its worst breakouts many a time, and helps moisturise as well as deal with oily skin, and it helps scars heal as well, i swear by it as my only skin care/ treatment, just leave it on until it dries, wash it off and put on again as many times as you like.

ReputationRep:
    possibly wash and clean with clinique/any think to clean the skin and then try "oilatum" cream?! :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Buy Aqueous cream from Boots. It is good for your skin and it will help clear acne. It's helped me a lot with clearing my acne and when my prescription dries up my skin.

ReputationRep:
    Aveeno moisturising lotion is decent - i use it for my eczema

ReputationRep:
    Don't use anything on your face, and you face will get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I had a problem with that combination too ( mainly due to using harsh products on my face to prevent break outs). Now I just stick to the basics and use Simple: Face toner and Conotrine to moisturise my face. I'm really impressed with the improvement of my skin, its pretty much how it was pre-puberty lol. Its all about trial and error. Id recommend using cleaners etc with natural ingredients like tea trea and alovera. Quinoderm is probably stripping your face of moisture imo. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    For a long time I had a problem with that combination too ( mainly due to using harsh products on my face to prevent break outs). Now I just stick to the basics and use Simple: Face toner and Conotrine to moisturise my face. I'm really impressed with the improvement of my skin, its pretty much how it was pre-puberty lol. Its all about trial and error. Id recommend using cleaners etc with natural ingredients like tea trea and alovera. Quinoderm is probably stripping your face of moisture imo. Good luck!
    Is your skin now dependent on the toner?

ReputationRep:
    I use simple oil balancing moisuriser - works for me (i have the same problem as you) and its cheap :-)

ReputationRep:
    Vitamin E oil or similar applied to the dry areas might work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys ive bought some extra strength alo vera gel from holland and barret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    Is your skin now dependent on the toner?
    Hmm haven't really stopped using it since I discovered it was what my skin liked. I've gone a couple of days without using it and nothing really drastic happened to my skin. I use it morning and night usually.

OP I also have that alovera gel from holland and barrett, it is also very good when you have skin irritations. I find that natural ingredients like tea tree ( also use the oil to zap spots) and alovera are brilliant for sensitive skin. :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.