Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on Blocking Youtube to save download limit watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Basically the problem is we have a 30Gb download limt broadband package between 7 people and most people endlessly use youtube meaning we reach the download limit in about 15 days into a month, meaning we get really slow internet for the remainder of the month.

I have decided to block youtube between 8-24:00 (which is when out download limit applies) to ensure we get fast internet for the whole month.

My thoughts are these people are very selfish because I tell them to cut down their useage but they never do so I have got fed up and blocked them, seeing as I always deal with the internet and the problems as none of them no the first things about computers and I barely ever stream online.

They are like, 'youtube is really important, I can't live without it'

What does everyone else think? Is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    Seems fair to me. There are more things to life than YouTube. Tell them to read a book or watch TV/DVDs.

ReputationRep:
    They're not gonna like it are they...and 24:00 isn't a time :P

ReputationRep:
    Schoolboy error. You should always get unlimited internet for student house/flat shares.

ReputationRep:
    30gb is like 2 1080p blu-rays. Sort it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    Schoolboy error. You should always get unlimited internet for student house/flat shares.
    this basically. It's not even that much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    Its is effectively unlimited but the speed goes to 128kps after 30Gbs. Also you will find most unlimited packages say in their T&Cs that its unlimited subject to 30-40gb or less download limit.

Anway, the landlord provides the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Change your internet package. 30GB per month between 7 people is an absolute disgrace in this day and age. Your ISP should let you upgrade.

(Original post by zcomputer5)
    Its is effectively unlimited but the speed goes to 128kps after 30Gbs. Also you will find most unlimited packages say in their T&Cs that its unlimited subject to 30-40gb or less download limit.

You live in London, it's highly likely you can get Virgin Media. No monthly limits there.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have given them the option as I was going to get a different package but I didn't see why I should have to go through all the hastle of sorting out the bill myself and collecting money from people if I wasn't the cause of the problem. So I said that I will enable youtube when someone upgrade the broadband.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow, I doubt youtube can use 30GB unless all 7 of you are sitting on it all day long. Are you sure someone isnt downloading games / music / movies etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Somehow, I doubt youtube can use 30GB unless all 7 of you are sitting on it all day long. Are you sure someone isnt downloading games / music / movies etc?
    What are you kidding??? thats 30gb per month not per day! only takes like 4 songs person perday and that the limit gone! and people listen to and watch hours of youtube daily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Think about it.

Well I have given them the option as I was going to get a different package but I didn't see why I should have to go through all the hastle of sorting out the bill myself and collecting money from people if I wasn't the cause of the problem. So I said that I will enable youtube when someone upgrade the broadband.
    Fair enough. Perhaps ask them to pay upfront for the entire 12 months. Its no effort to pay the bill, but I could see collecting it being an issue.

You might want to block iPlayer too, and torrent programs. On your limit you can do little more than play games and browse the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

Fair enough. Perhaps ask them to pay upfront for the entire 12 months. Its no effort to pay the bill, but I could see collecting it being an issue.

You might want to block iPlayer too, and torrent programs. On your limit you can do little more than play games and browse the internet.
    The thing is I know that everyone is to lazy to do anything in the house and just expect me to do everything for them except this time I am not going to it for them and they are like wdf! And trust me the people I live with wouldn't give me the money upfront, they are useless with money and very poor students.

I would block more but they were pretty annoyed with youtube being blocked as it is, they were saying that their life will never be the same without it, very sad I know.

ReputationRep:
    WTF are you on about, youtube does not use 30gb of data, even between 7 of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    WTF are you on about, youtube does not use 30gb of data, even between 7 of you!
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    i use over 30gb a month... just by myself. i dont know how 7 of you were ever expected to live on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    :facepalm2:
    Lol c'mon it's nearly 2 in the morning, can't a bloke have a bit of fun round here?

ReputationRep:
    A better ISP is probably the best option tbh.

not these days. O2, Be, and Sky are all completely unlimited (on their 8 - 20mb packages). I'm on O2 20mb and must download approx... hmmm... 100-150gb per month. It costs me £10 a month :yy:.

In my old shared house we were on Sky 16mb, between the 4 of us we must have been hitting 300gb easily and were never capped.

Your landlord is supplying you with crap internet. 30gb allowance between 7 is nowhere near enough for today's internet. It's moderate use for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

You live in London, it's highly likely you can get Virgin Media. No monthly limits there.
    Only if you go for 50Mb - 10 and 20 have throttling policy :cry:

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.