Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been in an official relationship with an RAF policeman for only a short time, after seeing each other casually for a while. Today suddenly he was told that he will be going to Afghanistan in March and training starts this weekend...so as you can imagine I was quite shocked!! And pretty upset. As a general rule, I wouldn't date someone in the forces in case they were deployed, but I thought that since he was pretty settled in his job at the base and there aren't a great number of RAF out there anyway, we'd be pretty safe...obviously I was wrong, but it's his job and I respect that.

I saw him today and asked him if we were going to break up, because 2 months (then another 2 months later in the year) apart from each other, with him under so much stress, isn't a great situation for the start of a relationship. But he said he definitely doesn't want to lose me, wants to be more than friends and wants to know that he has somebody who cares for him back at home. He also told me for the first time that he loves me.

I'm finding the concept of being without him for so long and him being somewhere so dangerous and so far away really hard to deal with. I'm still in that early honeymoon period with him. Plus he had so little notice! I hope I'm doing the right thing in staying with him, because part of me worries that things would be easier for him if he was unattached when he went away. Also, I want to know how to be the very best girlfriend and be there for him. And for the next month what should we try and do? Allow the relationship to develop or gradually pull away?

Am I doing the right thing? And how can I support him before and during his time there?
    If you really love him then you must be there for him. And thats nice of you for respecting his job cos most people would just put a fit. And if he truely loves you then he wouldn't even think about looking at someone else. I think he really likes you coz if he wouldnt then he would just break up instead of confessing his love for you =]
    And try your best to keep contact during his free time, like text him and call if you can. Even try writing letter twice a week and if he responds same way then everything is on the right track.
    Be optimistic =)

ReputationRep:
    so lemme get this straight

Your staying in england with Tv internets, good food, plenty of choice of what to do.

He on the other hand is goign to a warzone, to sit in a bloody desert, getting shot at, watching his mates gettng shot at, with a chance of coming back in a body bag or worse

AND YOUR THE ONE WHINGING ABOUT HOW YOUR GOING TO MISS HIM? yeah youve got it so much worse my hearts bleeding here

ReputationRep:
    I've been in an official relationship with an RAF policeman for only a short time, after seeing each other casually for a while. Today suddenly he was told that he will be going to Afghanistan in March and training starts this weekend...so as you can imagine I was quite shocked!! And pretty upset. As a general rule, I wouldn't date someone in the forces in case they were deployed, but I thought that since he was pretty settled in his job at the base and there aren't a great number of RAF out there anyway, we'd be pretty safe...obviously I was wrong, but it's his job and I respect that.

I saw him today and asked him if we were going to break up, because 2 months (then another 2 months later in the year) apart from each other, with him under so much stress, isn't a great situation for the start of a relationship. But he said he definitely doesn't want to lose me, wants to be more than friends and wants to know that he has somebody who cares for him back at home. He also told me for the first time that he loves me.

I'm finding the concept of being without him for so long and him being somewhere so dangerous and so far away really hard to deal with. I'm still in that early honeymoon period with him. Plus he had so little notice! I hope I'm doing the right thing in staying with him, because part of me worries that things would be easier for him if he was unattached when he went away. Also, I want to know how to be the very best girlfriend and be there for him. And for the next month what should we try and do? Allow the relationship to develop or gradually pull away?

Am I doing the right thing? And how can I support him before and during his time there?
    dont date murderers, simple

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonymous]I can't believe anyone even said legs closed!!
    Obviously!!
    Surely even someone with no morals whatsoever would not cheat on someone in Afghan...eugh.

wtf you mean eugh? bet you dont know anyone from afghan so who are you to diss them?

ReputationRep:

Watch 'Dear John', definitely wasn't the case in that film. If he says he wants to stay with you then believe him, if you want to then stay with him. 2 Months isn't that long and you've got phone etc? Why throw something good away if you don't need to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2010
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.