Turn on thread page Beta

A Measure of Popularity? watch

• View Poll Results: Popularity come in the friends you have, not in the number.
    Agree, it's the loyalty of the people you have
    57.14%
    Disagree, numbers are important when rating popularity
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    Popularity comes in the friends you have, not in the number.

Agree or disagree?

:confused:

Actually, loyalty is important. And it's increasingly hard to come by.

ReputationRep:
    Popularity is based on numbers, but a smaller number of loyal/closer friends easily trumps being popular with few/no loyal/closer friends.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I agree.. To be truly popular, in the popular sense of the word, the number is more important than the loyalty..

ReputationRep:
    Popularity by definition means number.

Does it make it more desirble to have tons of aquiantances as opposed to a few close friends? Not for me.

I would rather a handful I can trust with my life than thousands of fair weather friends.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the big issue with appearing popular anyway ?
    Surely if you have a few loyal friends/ family members and are happy then thats all that matters ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    Whats the big issue with appearing popular anyway ?
    Surely if you have a few loyal friends/ family members and are happy then thats all that matters ?
    This woman speaks the truth! Amen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    This woman speaks the truth! Amen!

a why thank you ** takes a bow **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    :confused:

Actually, loyalty is important. And it's increasingly hard to come by.
    I notice you have "Africa VIP" in your location. Is that a nod to the Caspa/The Others tune?

People's perceptions of popularity differ tbh.

I'd say a measure of your popularity is how many facebook friends you have.

(Original post by jaydoh)
    I notice you have "Africa VIP" in your location. Is that a nod to the Caspa/The Others tune?

People's perceptions of popularity differ tbh.

I'd say a measure of your popularity is how many facebook friends you have.
    That it is. It's also relevant because I am an African VIP. :flutter:

You are the second person to notice. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Popularity comes in the number of people who know of and generally agree with you. It has nothing to do with friendship. Friendships are borne out of trust, respect and loyalty, none of which are actually important for a populist.

ReputationRep:
    Popularity comes from the number of people who follow you. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    loyal close friends.........I know loads of people that know lots of people for the sake of feeling popular...but no one really likes them that much.

There is loads of people I'd say hello to and speak to if I saw them...but I don't really class them as good friends. I prefer my circle of 10 or so close friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Popularity comes from the number of people who follow you. :confused:
    This.

Not that this means it's necessarily better than having fewer, more loyal friends. It's just the definition of the word.

ReputationRep:
    I have about a million friends any way so I don't really care as I am more popular then you all and have lots of friends.

ReputationRep:
    Loyalty, who cares if you have a million friends they might all stab you in the back... Anyway who cares, all the people who think they are popular aren't anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theblackphoenixcon)
    Anyway who cares, all the people who think they are popular aren't anyway!

This is exceedingly true.
    All the people who seem popular are the ones everyone *****es about behind their backs.

ReputationRep:
    I don't thik popularity means either. It certainly doesn't mean just the number, or you'd never see popular people insulting or deliberately avoiding others, which definitely happens, when if they didn't they could be friends with them and thus be slightly more "popular". Even saying numbers make popularity sounds ridiculous. . .

Popularity isn't about how many people are your friends, it's about how many people want to be your friend.

ReputationRep:
    I definte friend in a much different way than it seems everyone else does. That's probably why I can say.. proudly that I have 5 friends. Yes, 5 friends and they're all my best friends.

Let me just re-count to make sure I didn't miss anyone.

Him, him, him, him and him. 5 friends =]. Everyone else.. well lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    This is exceedingly true.
    All the people who seem popular are the ones everyone *****es about behind their backs.
    Finally someone who agrees with me!:yes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.