Turn on thread page Beta

What shall I cook for a quiet Valentines night in...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Right, I'm currently on my year abroad (Canada), but I'm popping back to England for a couple of days, one of which is Valentine's Day. My boyfriend doesn't know so I'm planning on surprising him by just showing up! No place is going to let us in without a booking, so a quiet night in seems to be in order.

Anyway ideas of what I should cook?

Thanks for your help, (+rep, even though it won't be worth all that much, for any useful answers!)

ReputationRep:
    Steak.
    Chips.
    Yorkie.

ReputationRep:
    Potnoodle.. as far as my cooking skills strech :sad:

ReputationRep:
    NOTHING,....you dont want to be flushed after cooking all day, you need to be well prepared for "THE NIGHT",... order something in,..

ReputationRep:
    I did this recently for our anniversary and cooked a simple menu with a heart theme.

Starter: leek and potato soup although I had to adapt the recipe as I found it a bit bland.

Main:
    burger and potato wedges, thought this one was nice but the burgers shrink quite a lot!

Dessert: strawberry cheesecake, sort of adapted with what I had and made a Bailey's and chocolate one too.

Sorry not sure how to shrink the images, hope they provided inspiration!

ReputationRep:
    Btw, I prepared everything the night before so I wasn't exhausted from cooking.
    Soup made then reheated, cheesecake made and chilled, burger mix made and chilled.

ReputationRep:
    oh my, i've abandoned this thread thank you all so much for your help, lololol i absolutely love the heart shaped theme!

rep for you all! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    what time are you getting back?

my ex surprised me by coming home earlier than expected and woke me up with heart shaped egg on toast - was very sweet

I'd probably end up with takeaway myself, more hugging time!

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am in the mood for things such as:

Mushroom soup - very easy to make. + some lovely bread = :coma:
    Breaded chilli/ garlic butter prawns - simples and nibbly

Main courses completely depend on what you both like tbh!

Cheesecake is a great easy dessert and you can 'design' it as you wish to suit the occasion If not... tiramisu, panna cotta for something creamy. Or something fruity with a simple sweet pastry/ sponge

Have fun whatever you decide on!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    Steak.
    Chips.
    Yorkie.
    Hahaha, good ideas, but this is what I usually do for him, I’d like to do something a little more elaborate.
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    Potnoodle.. as far as my cooking skills strech :sad:
    Aww, cooking’s just a learning curve, if all else fails, I’ll fall back on this
    (Original post by saucy_little_thing)
    NOTHING,....you dont want to be flushed after cooking all day, you need to be well prepared for "THE NIGHT",... order something in,..
    Hahah! Good excuse for not cooking...!

(Original post by lolololol)
    I did this recently for our anniversary and cooked a simple menu with a heart theme.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea, thank you so much!!

(Original post by death.drop)
    what time are you getting back?

my ex surprised me by coming home earlier than expected and woke me up with heart shaped egg on toast - was very sweet

I'd probably end up with takeaway myself, more hugging time!
    That’s really cute. I’ll be in Bristol 11ish, so I could do that...thinking more along the lines of dinner though.

(Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    At the moment I am in the mood for things such as:

Mushroom soup - very easy to make. + some lovely bread = :coma:
    Breaded chilli/ garlic butter prawns - simples and nibbly

Main courses completely depend on what you both like tbh!

Cheesecake is a great easy dessert and you can 'design' it as you wish to suit the occasion If not... tiramisu, panna cotta for something creamy. Or something fruity with a simple sweet pastry/ sponge

Have fun whatever you decide on!!
    Ohh, I do like the idea of the prawns, I might even keep in with the asian theme, and do like a thai curry, and just finish off simply with strawberries and chocolate. Hmmm.
    If not, I know he likes his red meat, maybe a beef braised in red wine?
    Well, thanks for all your help you will all be repped when i get round to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calligraphy)
    Ohh, I do like the idea of the prawns, I might even keep in with the asian theme, and do like a thai curry, and just finish off simply with strawberries and chocolate. Hmmm.
    If not, I know he likes his red meat, maybe a beef braised in red wine?
    Well, thanks for all your help you will all be repped when i get round to it!
    Sounds good!

If you're doing a curry then perhaps start with garlic prawns rather than spice? So as not to over-do the spice. Prawns sizzled in garlic but are :coma: You could make a lovely dip too

Fruit, imo, is always great after a bit of spice. Cinnamon is quite in-keeping with the theme, you could use that... Apple and cinnamon lattice/ tarte, yum

Strawberries and chocolate still get my vote though. Yum, just yum. Happy cooking

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.