Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Words you hate the sound of watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat285)
    beautiful - i have a scottish accent so it sounds really forced and funny, with too much emphasis on the "eau" (ooo) sound of the word...

Also, hoatching - it makes me think of loads of little insects ad that gives me the shivers.
    Aw no I like how beautiful sounds in Scottish accents!

Hoatching is horrible though, like cockroaches. Cockroaches, that's another horrible one!

ReputationRep:
    Hierarchical

*shudders*
    Whats with the end of that word please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I hate it soooooo much!

I dislike any French word pronounced with an English accent, lingerie and impromptu being the worst.

yeah my boyfriend was talking about some possible 'secret rulers' that he was doing about in history, and its a french name. i do not know how to spell it as it is a very long word that i have never heard before so i am not going to attempt but it was ssooo annoying. Everytime he said it i felt like punching him. no word has ever annoyed me as much as this. he has got a south accent aswell which i think made it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanzeel)
    I do. The whole language for that matter.
    Well you can't, the whole thing is biased, especially because you're probably american. Although some pronunciations in american are VERY annoying, some make better sense than english and some words make more sense in the way they say in in the England english , mostly because they INVENTED english. So, you really can't judge pronunciation Mr tomato tom-a-to, because it is all the same word, just saying it different. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yafula)
    yeah my boyfriend was talking about some possible 'secret rulers' that he was doing about in history, and its a french name. i do not know how to spell it as it is a very long word that i have never heard before so i am not going to attempt but it was ssooo annoying. Everytime he said it i felt like punching him. no word has ever annoyed me as much as this. he has got a south accent aswell which i think made it worse.
    :rofl:
    I look like a right idiot because I never know how they're pronounced in English, and I know that if I pronounce it the French way people will stare at me as if I were a complete retard. I literally spell words like "impromptu" because I have no idea how mispronounced they are, so actually, I still end up being a complete retard, true :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    :rofl:
    I look like a right idiot because I never know how they're pronounced in English, and I know that if I pronounce it the French way people will stare at me as if I were a complete retard. I literally spell words like "impromptu" because I have no idea how mispronounced they are, so actually, I still end up being a complete retard, true :holmes:
    yeah haha thats why i didnt attemp to spell it :o: . Its not so much other french words that annoy me in an English accent but this one did too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typiin)
    Condone. The word is always used wrong. It SHOULD mean "bad" but it actually means "support". WTF? Why? Does the word SOUND positive AT ALL?
    Condone:
    to excuse: excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with; "excuse someone's behavior"; "She condoned her husband's occasional infidelities".

You nonce.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that comes out of my Psychology teacher's mouth,
    when he's droning on on a thursday morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyFran)
    clunge... makes it sound oily or something disgusting. like gunge.....
    oh my word i totally agree wid ya on tht, i first heard it wen Jay kept on saying it in Inbetweeners lol. Ugh. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Awkward :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Belly ...ewwwy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetheonly)
    "Clunge"
    How dare you.

Lush - It makes me feel a little sick when I hear it, especially by the Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    moist

ReputationRep:
    Babe and when people end words with age when they should end with it. eg Wordage

ReputationRep:
    Raw ... (as in skin) sounds painful

ReputationRep:
    'Cringe' as shorthand for 'cringeworthy'
    Lush
    Swagger

And many many many more.

Oh and the 'typical student accent were they start talking louder, eventually screaming fully in your face, despite it being a pleasent conversation in an absolutely silent (except for the sound of their voice) place.'

Oh and 'urrrmmmm' at the end of every sentence.

ReputationRep:
    swear words! they sound so vulgar especially the C word that rhymes with hunt..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chibelta)
    are you like, an anti-"S" or something?? :o:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Buff
    Lush
    Pudding

ReputationRep:
    Belly (reminds me of a baby)
    Pelt (just a weird word)
    Chuckle (should only be used to describe fat old men)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.