Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ridiculous Reference Letter Question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to send in my applications for grad school and I am trying to get a second academic reference. I have one academic reference already lined up; however, for the other one, I have emailed three former professors and only one has replied to me (my undergraduate degree was taught by a lot of adjunct faculty who are still working in the field, so most of my professors do not actually work at my undergraduate university any more and they have been difficult to find).

Anyway, the one that replied to me asked for more information about what I needed from him; he did not say that he would actually be a reference for me. I emailed him the information detailing that I needed the references for grad school and I asked him if he would be a reference and he never responded. That was about two weeks ago.

Should I email him and ask him again? Or do I just write it off? I do not want to be a pest, but I am kind of desperate. I have a few people I could use as professional references, but I would really like to provide a better picture of my academic ability through the references.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Be a pest, keep asking until there is a definite no or yes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Actually it's quite possible that the two weeks of silence don't mean he's not interested but that he has simply forgotten about the email exchange with you because he's been busy doing various other stuff, so don't despair.
    Send him a polite reminder email and say you realise he's terribly busy and important, but that you're really rather anxious to get those applications out of the way because of looming deadlines and a reference from him would be immensely helpful, so would he perhaps write you one (pretty please)? And make sure your email includes whatever information he needs to start writing that reference right away, so there won't be any further delays through emailing back and forth.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone hates pestering referees -- and referees most probably hate being pestered -- but this is not likely to be the only time in your life you'll need to do it, so better get used to it now... The game is the game

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice!

I emailed the professor again this morning; I hope he replies this time!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.