Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the open day Oxford said they look at your % of A*s relative to how many subjects you studied and their average applicant has 70%. I got 7 from 12 subjects which is less than 60% but if I'd only done 10 subjects, would I have a better chance of getting in?
    If so I disagree with their admissions system because say you got 9A* out of 13 subjects, they think it would be similar to only 7A*s from 10 as the percentages are similar, even though 9A*s is clearly better than 7 - and that person had a greater workload!

ReputationRep:
    Just because their average applicant has 70% at A* doesnt mean the people with only 1 A* out of 12 dont get in! Its just a statistic.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that does seem unfair, but that's how it works.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the requirements for GCSE A*s at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    was this just for medicine or all subject? your title seems to imply this is for medicine

ReputationRep:
    There are no "GCSE requirements" for any course at either Oxford or Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    There are no "GCSE requirements" for any course at either Oxford or Cambridge.
    Exactly GCSE's aren't what get you into University they're a contributing factor. Of course the more A*s you have the better but if you have 6A*s out of 10 subjects you really aren't at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was in relation to your school?

ReputationRep:
    my tutor got into cambridge with less than 3A*s and couple of Bs/Cs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CF7)
    At the open day Oxford said they look at your % of A*s relative to how many subjects you studied and their average applicant has 70%. I got 7 from 12 subjects which is less than 60% but if I'd only done 10 subjects, would I have a better chance of getting in?
    If so I disagree with their admissions system because say you got 9A* out of 13 subjects, they think it would be similar to only 7A*s from 10 as the percentages are similar, even though 9A*s is clearly better than 7 - and that person had a greater workload!
    i totally agree with you, however, conversely, GCSE's in a certain subject are much easier than other subjects and the same applies for exam boards. my school only allows us to take 11 maximum and thats only if you take extra latin, the reason they do not allow us to take 12,13 like some intensive grammer schools is because we use the igcse and more challenging subjects and exam boards, which better prepare us for a levels. the whole system of weighing up gcse grades is flawed and obiviously a candidate with 12A* is "better" than one with 4A*'s and 6A's but i do not think that we can be as anrrow minded as to say that a a candidate with say 9A*'s and 2 A's is worse than a candidate with 12A*'s, cases like those need to be looked at in greater detail because it is totally subjective. a clear example is the fact that an A* in IGCSE chemistry is worth more than its AQA modular counterpart. although at the end of the day they are both counted as the same, when they shouldn't because AQA chemistry is piss easy.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 18, 2009

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.