Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS building budget 'cut by 21 per cent' Watch

ReputationRep:
    The capital budget for the NHS in England will be reduced by more than a fifth in the next financial year, it has been claimed.
    The total reduction is £1.4 billion, according to figures obtained by Channel Four News.

In the pre-Budget report in December, the Treasury said capital spending would be £5.3 billion in 2009/10, falling to £4.3 billion in 2010/11.
    That is a reduction of 13.3 per cent.

Mike O'Brien, a health minister said: "The NHS budget is in a strong position after a decade of record investment and will increase by 11.3 per cent up to April 2011 as set out in the latest spending review.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-per-cent.html
    How can this Government be promising to increase the NHS budget by 11.3% when the budget has been cut and further drastic cuts are needed.

ReputationRep:
    This is great seeing as many trusts are actually around 50 mill in the red already...
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    The capital budget for the NHS in England will be reduced by more than a fifth in the next financial year, it has been claimed.
    The total reduction is £1.4 billion, according to figures obtained by Channel Four News.

In the pre-Budget report in December, the Treasury said capital spending would be £5.3 billion in 2009/10, falling to £4.3 billion in 2010/11.
    That is a reduction of 13.3 per cent.

Mike O'Brien, a health minister said: "The NHS budget is in a strong position after a decade of record investment and will increase by 11.3 per cent up to April 2011 as set out in the latest spending review.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-per-cent.html
    How can this Government be promising to increase the NHS budget by 11.3% when the budget has been cut and further drastic cuts are needed.
    The PBR isn't the budget you know, just an indication of whats planned. It isn't put into law unlike the actual budget.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    further drastic cuts are needed.
    Why? we already spend far less on healthcare than most other western nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Why? we already spend far less on healthcare than most other western nations.
    because they are phasing the NHS out...

:grumble: what's next? ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Really? This worries me ....

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure he was being sarcastic...
    Lol if he is...I majorly need a caffeine hit I think the last two days of posting has failed miserably for me...I should quit TSR lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm not.
    There will be little left of a health service in 10 years time.
    My sources are not public access ones so I cannot state.

ReputationRep:
    Well with Channel 4 being Channel 4 they made a show about young people are destroying the NHS and it is being phased out blah blah. So he has probably been mislead.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh I'm not.
    There will be little left of a health service in 10 years time.
    My sources are not public access ones so I cannot state.
    Whilst the current trends of privatisation are worrying, and are something the tories will no doubt continue, given that every other nation in the western world has a public health service and the public support it has i cannot see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst the current trends of privatisation are worrying, and are something the tories will no doubt continue, given that every other nation in the western world has a public health service and the public support it has i cannot see that happening.
    I'm not saying there will be no health service whatsoever, they will have to limit their capacity a huge amount. Only an extremely limited range of services will be offered - The rest will be left for the private sector.
    Just imagine something similar to the American system.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying there will be no health service whatsoever, they will have to limit their capacity a huge amount. Only an extremely limited range of services will be offered - The rest will be left for the private sector.
    Just imagine something similar to the American system.
    It won't happen unless parliment becomes full of Conservative ******** Daniel Hannan MEP.

Barack Obama wants a NHS type system and the system works so there is no reason to demolish it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    It won't happen unless parliment becomes full of Conservative ******** Daniel Hannan MEP.

Barack Obama wants a NHS type system and the system works so there is no reason to demolish it.
    Explain the massive cuts in funding then?
    I know of one particular trust which is 50 mill in the red - overspent, because the funding just isn't there to provide the service they are expected to supply.

The NHS is being run as a business the fullest extent they can for a public good. There are bean counters cutting left right and center when they have no medical background, they don't know what they doing.
    When they can't provide the gold standard service they are meant to the media picks up on this.. people complain about how their tax money is being wasted on a poor service and this pressure instigates more budget cuts.
    It's just a vicious cycle and the goverment have been ridding themselves of public service resposibility for years now. It is an inevitable outcome.

On the plus side though, people will only have to pay for a service they are utilising so if you don't get sick often then you will probably benefit from the decreased tax rates.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    On the plus side though, people will only have to pay for a service they are utilising so if you don't get sick often then you will probably benefit from the decreased tax rates.
    What a silly argument. Besides, everyone will lose out due to lack of preventative care. Hence the amount healthcare costs the US per person (about 2x the UK).

It won't happen to the extent you are saying unless society vastly changes from what it is now.

ReputationRep:
    What a silly argument. Besides, everyone will lose out due to lack of preventative care.

It won't happen to the extent you are saying unless society vastly changes from what it is now.
    That was meant to be the sarcastic point.
    I'm not going to try and convince you seeing as you know best... but just look at pretty much every other publicly owned good and what has become of it now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but just look at pretty much every other publicly owned good and what has become of it now.
    Equally there are some things that it would just be stupid to privatise e.g. the army. There is a line somewhere - at the moment society has placed it far to the left of private healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Equally there are some things that it would just be stupid to privatise e.g. the army. There is a line somewhere - at the moment society has placed it far to the left of private healthcare.
    Currently, yes, but if the whole system implodes (which is not impossible) will be interesting to see what happens.

NHS is going to have to be cut to even out the deficit most likey because it along with welfare are the 2 biggest slices of GS. When you need to reduce spending by >100bn rather difficult to do without attacking the large wedges

ReputationRep:
    Not really, more people are using private healthcare.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.