Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

QMUL vs Bristol watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi..

I've only heard from QMUL and Bristol so far. Honestly, I doubt UCL or KCL will give me an offer so between QM and Bristol, which one should i select as my firm choice?

My mum asked her friend who graduated from Bristol (for law) for some opinions and I was surprised when she said that many QM graduates are even embarrassed to say the graduated from QM ..

The other threads i found here comparing QM and Bristol were from a few years ago and many have said that QM's location is lousy. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that the East end of London was actually being developed (was in Docklands last year for holiday and I thought it was a nice place )

ReputationRep:
    The East End of London is a pretty big place and even with some massive redevelopment projects (Docklands, Olympics site) there are some of the country's most deprived neighbourhoods in that part of the capital.

Worth visiting the campus I'd say. It's actually not that far from The City itself and Mile End tube station has good underground connections. You could live (as I'm thinking of doing) somewhere else in London and travel in to uni, though the costs and time spent involved in doing so need to be worked out and considered!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing law at Bristol at the moment if you want to ask any questions. You should visit both though, and ask people's opinions, but make your own decision in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llen)
    Hi..

I've only heard from QMUL and Bristol so far. Honestly, I doubt UCL or KCL will give me an offer so between QM and Bristol, which one should i select as my firm choice?

My mum asked her friend who graduated from Bristol (for law) for some opinions and I was surprised when she said that many QM graduates are even embarrassed to say the graduated from QM ..

The other threads i found here comparing QM and Bristol were from a few years ago and many have said that QM's location is lousy. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that the East end of London was actually being developed (was in Docklands last year for holiday and I thought it was a nice place )
    You went to East London for a holiday?! :eek3:
    Y'know most people just visit Greece or Spain, but each to their own I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IheartASOS)
    You went to East London for a holiday?! :eek3:
    Y'know most people just visit Greece or Spain, but each to their own I guess...
    Haha... maybe i should've phrased it properly..
    I'm from Malaysia and I went on a one-week tour.. we went to London, Bath (was so near to Bristol D: ) and Oxford and we happened to stay at the Docklands for 2 nights.. ..

ReputationRep:
    Bristol I would say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llen)
    Haha... maybe i should've phrased it properly..
    I'm from Malaysia and I went on a one-week tour.. we went to London, Bath (was so near to Bristol D: ) and Oxford and we happened to stay at the Docklands for 2 nights.. ..
    Lolz, I was only joking :p:

ReputationRep:
    QM academically, Bristol environmentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llen)
    Hi..

Your mum's friend is:

a. Talking bullshit.
    b. Being a university snob.

QM is a great university for Law. Traditionally, Bristol is seen to be better, but QM isn't going to disadvantage you in any way. In terms of league tables, they're near enough the same.

Visit each university and then decide, because the difference between them for Law is near enough negligible imo.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol

When I visited QM the area was disgusting. Hated it.
    Bristol also has a better reputation I suppose. For QM, although it is an AAA law school, 2 of my friends got AAB and one got AAC and they were all still accepted for 2009 entry.
    I know this doesn't mean anything but QM might be a nice insurance for you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the feedback ... will decide once all offers/rejections have come in...

ReputationRep:
    Personally would pick QM simply because I liked the campus I liked the pro bono work and it is in London. Good access to good work experience. In the past Bristol was easyily better than QM but nowadays it is IMO negligible. I chose to apply to QM over Bristol but thats just a preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llen)
    Hi..

I went to the open day and absolutely fell in love with the campus! The tube station was about a 2 minute walk and it took me about 15 minutes to get to Oxford Street.

ReputationRep:
    Many people have suggested visiting the campus before making a decision but seeing as i'm an international student it's quite impossible XD ..

i like the idea that QM is a "campus uni" despite being in London though ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iodine)
    The teaching at Bristol is ****
    are you from Bristol?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.