Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there's someone so perfect for someone else in the love respect that they'd literally be together forever if they could?

But, they live miles apart and will most likely never meet each other.

It just seems that a lot of people get into relationships with others for the sake of it. I don't know but if I'm gonna do that I'd rather be on my own, if I knew it would be contextless, because I got with that person just because there was potential for a relationship. No one can foresee the future, either, but how do people know they've found the one? And what are the chance of them going to the same uni, or being on the bus or whatever....yeah you'll be with them and marry them and have kids or whatever but what if there was someone so well suited to you that you would leave your partner just for them...

I'm just looking at people who go into relationships with the foresight of being together forever and it doesn't work out, cos maybe they were never suited for each other but they told themselves they were.

ReputationRep:
    one word: mehh

it's all a bit meh. just go with it.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are yeah to your first question. Duh.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's very unlikely there's only one 'the one' for anyone out there. You'll most probably find one of them at some point.

Mission impossible to find :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I think there is the right one out there for everyone.
    I did not think I was going to meet someone I could ever settle down and fall in love with. I was in and out of relationships more time in a month then I was having hot dinners so I felt like I was not going amywhere and never going to settle down.
    Then I met my partner, and it just felt different then it did with everyone else he was kind caring and decent, we fell for each other instantly, and even though we have been together a while now we still get excited about seeing each other even if its been a day since we last seen each other, its the most amazing feeling. We are engaged now and planning on getting our first house together, so yeah I would say there is someone out there for everyone, I think though you have to go through alot of heartache and pain and have to go through alot of bad relationships before you find the one. Sometimes the best thing to do is wait for the one to come to you, rather then going out and searching for it.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think 'there's someone so perfect for someone else that they could be together forever blah blah blah. I'd like to thinks so, but just can't :emo: Most of the time people think they've found someone perfect but people change over time and, usually, grow apart rather than grow together.

What you're looking for changes as you get older, someone who you could have thought was 'the one' when you were in your late teens/20s could be the opposite when you're in your 30s.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be scientific about it, I think if you take one person they are likely to have emotional and intellectual compatibility with a proportion of the population (say, 1%), and then there will be some people they are semi-compatible with or not at all. It's really just a matter of finding someone in that 1% (or whatever percentage - it probably varies from person to person; some people are impossible to live with!) and relationships with people you're only semi-compatible with are just less likely to work out.

So no, I don't think there's "the one", I think there are probably quite a few people out there who you could spend a lifetime with. It just depends on if, how, when, in what context and why you meet them which one of them you'll actually end up with.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (And I've always had a theory that being perfect for someone is less about the person and more about the situation - I broke up with my boyfriend of two years several months ago but yet I'm quite convinced that had we been ten years older it would have worked out properly. It just wasn't the right time for me to be in that relationship, etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    I think that there's someone for everyone, but born into different countries or even different generations/centuries (this is my rubbish explanation as to why some people always have relationship problems).

ReputationRep:
    I think that there is 'the one' for everyone, but there are also lots of others who suit them well - that's why serial monogamy exists. People change, and you might think you have met the one but sometimes you outgrow them.. if it's the perfect partner for you then you will change and grow together and your relationship won't suffer as a result. That's what I think anyway, but I don't really know!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really believe that somewhere my Mr Perfect is waiting for me. It's nice to think about though and it'd be great to meet someone like this. Of course, it's absolutely impossible Some people believe in everlasting, pure love, but for me they just have a peculiar sense of humour :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What people fail to realise these days is that love isn't Disneyland.
    I don't particularly believe in 'soulmates'. However, I do believe in 'true love' and I know its exceptionally rare these days

ReputationRep:
    I believe there's someone out there who's meant for you - your soulmate. The chances of meeting them are pretty slim though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in there only being one person. I think there could be many potentially compatable girls out there. Which one I end up with depends on things like where I end up living and whether we are both in ready to make that comitment.

ReputationRep:
    Ergh... I hate all these threads about relationships at the moment. I'm glad I've grown up a bit and stopped thinking about "soulmates" and "the one" and just go with the flow. I'm with my boyfriend now for 3 months, and yeah, he's great, maybe even perfect, but I'm not going to declare my everlasting love for him. I know how wrong relationships can go

ReputationRep:
    Just one? Seems a bit like an artificial limitation. When will people realise that the 60’s are over and we can have multiple partners now quite ethically.

I encourage you to liberate yourselves from traditional ideals and explore the opportunities available. You might just have a lot of fun and meet some really nice people who you fall in love with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.