Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone clued up on finance can help. I am a mature student and have applied to do my BEd. However, student finance have informed me this morning that I don't qualify for any help with fees etc as I have had previous years of support. I started Uni in 1999 and again in 2001. I dropped out on both occasions after 3 months as my Mum was poorly and later relapsed and there was no way I could continue my studies whilst she was like that. Both loans have been fully repaid.
    Is it right that they are refusing me on these grounds? Is there anything I can do about it? There's no way I can manage without support so will have to scrap my teaching dreams if this is the case.
    TIA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyC-H)
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone clued up on finance can help. I am a mature student and have applied to do my BEd. However, student finance have informed me this morning that I don't qualify for any help with fees etc as I have had previous years of support. I started Uni in 1999 and again in 2001. I dropped out on both occasions after 3 months as my Mum was poorly and later relapsed and there was no way I could continue my studies whilst she was like that. Both loans have been fully repaid.
    Is it right that they are refusing me on these grounds? Is there anything I can do about it? There's no way I can manage without support so will have to scrap my teaching dreams if this is the case.
    TIA.
    A good friend of mine had a similar situation last year. She had to leave Uni for medical/emotional reasons and later returned as a part-time student. She received partial loans whilst she was a part-timer but they said if she left/dropped out/failed again she wouldn't get any support at all. She wasn't happy at Uni so left and has since been told she doesn't qualify for any more student finance. She doesn't wish to continue her studies at Uni so it isn't an issue, she just has to repay her loans back as usual but I understand if you want to study, you need the funds.

Surely if you contact Student Finance, explain the situation, provide proof that your Mother was ill, they can consider you. Have you actually spoken to anyone from the organisation over the phone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 28. I spoke to someone this morning who just said there was nothing she could do, but she kept having to put me on hold to ask everything and didn't really sound too sure of herself.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get funding in the 1st year, but you will for the other years. Just save up etc.

ReputationRep:
    Samba, I appreciate the response but I have a mortgage, 2 children and a husband. There's no way I can save enough to cover all of that plus fees and be able to reduce work hours enough to study. Thank you though.

ReputationRep:
    Study the first year part time over two years? Might allow you to keep on working.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it's a BEd and not offered part time. Thank you though!
    Carly

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll be eligible at all. The rules state that you get 3 years funding +1, but if you drop out twice, you're screwed. Unless, and you might be able to plead this, it was for exceptional circumstances. I'd call and ask them again about this, because it MAY be possible.

Otherwise, have you looked at career development loans? There's not really a lot else out there tbh

ReputationRep:
    Phone up again and ask to speak to someone more superior. You obviously really want to do teaching and if you can provide proof of your mother's illness then they should understand. If you get someone who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about ask to speak to their superior, and if they can't do that, ask to speak to their complaints department. Generally speaking the complaints team has been working in the sector longer and will be able to tell you fully whether there is anything you can do.

If they honestly can't help you, I would file a formal complaint against them. Seeing as you have re-paid the loans from before I don't see why they can't help you. Then speak to your bank and see if they can offer you a competitive loan with payments you could afford to repay, perhaps by working at the same time or from your husband's salary.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Jen, I think taking it further, as you say, is probably the best way to do this. Ironically, my normal job is as a Management level officer dealing with complaints for a Government Agency, so I should be able to put some of that in to use!

ReputationRep:
    There is an exception on the grounds of "compelling personal reasons", where years of study can be disregarded if you left owing to such reasons. You should be able to get this, but you may require to provide proof.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.