Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am back (on this forum at least) and I am pissed off! I cannot believe something like this has happened. I cannot believe the NUS has had the tenacity to intimidate our University like this. This is what I call real, back-door censorship. If there was ever a time to protest, ever a time to seriously consider the question of dissafiliation, it is now!

ReputationRep:
    The NUS bully tactics are an absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    I haven't read the consitution in that sort of detail, but I imagine there is a provision for the trustees to overrule decisions. But I would suggest setting up an alternative to DSU, if there were sufficient interest.
    I believe any pair of students (proposer and seconder) can start an official petition to hold a referendum- DSU will even host it for you. If this gains enough signups, something around 400 people, it mandates DSU to hold the referendum.

Even after that, the trustees have absolute power to veto just about anything if they want to. I don't know if they'd bother to.

ReputationRep:
    The whole fiasco is pretty embarrasing for the NUS - that letter was one of the most emabarrising pieces of rubbish I've ever seen.. telling the DUS they'd be liable for prosecution under equality law... that's psuedo legal ******** and the NUS should know better.. and shouldn't be interfering at all imo.. thank goodness we're not affiliated, my opinion of them has dropped severley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    The NUS bully tactics are an absolute disgrace.
    The NUS's letter was utter drivel -it wound me up and I'm not even a DUS member

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxius)
    I am back (on this forum at least) and I am pissed off! I cannot believe something like this has happened. I cannot believe the NUS has had the tenacity to intimidate our University like this. This is what I call real, back-door censorship. If there was ever a time to protest, ever a time to seriously consider the question of dissafiliation, it is now!
    get a motion raised to resign from the NUS - we're not affiliated and I'm quite proud to say that at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    I believe any pair of students (proposer and seconder) can start an official petition to hold a referendum- DSU will even host it for you. If this gains enough signups, something around 400 people, it mandates DSU to hold the referendum.

Even after that, the trustees have absolute power to veto just about anything if they want to. I don't know if they'd bother to.
    I think that petition will happen - I wonder if we are allowed to do it online or something. Last time I looked we needed 250 signatures, but I am not sure what the rules are now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kali_89)
    I've never been more ashamed to be at Durham University.
    stand up and do something about it, I would if I where at Durham (mind you we did almost the smae thing a few years ago.. but I wasn't here then) - motion of no confidence...?

ReputationRep:
    I've always supported affiliation to the NUS - predominantly so I can get beer at 1.30/1.40 in college bars - but I cannot believe the response they gave to the news that BNP would be debating at the DUS.

For a supposedly left-wing, free-speech supporting organisation, I'd expect the NUS to appreciate that a debate can be held involving the BNP without a systematic brainwashing of the Durham University population. We are a bunch of relatively intelligent students on the scale of things, and it is slightly condescending to be told who we can and cannot listen to the opinions of. Apparently the NUS are the "national voice of students". Given that a facebook group has managed to amass almost 10% of the Durham University population in under 24 hours in protest against this restriction of free-speech it would seem they are misguided.

I cannot stand the BNP, but both the poster that the NUS produced and their general approach to the entire debate is something else. We are not yet a censored state and should be able to engage in discussion with whom we choose. Nick Griffin on Question Time demonstrated just how thin the reasoning is for many of the opinions the BNP holds, and this was another opportunity to show how ridiculous many of their opinions are.

It is a shame the NUS are too near-sighted to realise these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    I've always supported affiliation to the NUS - predominantly so I can get beer at 1.30/1.40 in college bars - but I cannot believe the response they gave to the news that BNP would be debating at the DUS.

For a supposedly left-wing, free-speech supporting organisation, I'd expect the NUS to appreciate that a debate can be held involving the BNP without a systematic brainwashing of the Durham University population. We are a bunch of relatively intelligent students on the scale of things, and it is slightly condescending to be told who we can and cannot listen to the opinions of. Apparently the NUS are the "national voice of students". Given that a facebook group has managed to amass almost 10% of the Durham University population in under 24 hours in protest against this restriction of free-speech it would seem they are misguided.

I cannot stand the BNP, but both the poster that the NUS produced and their general approach to the entire debate is something else. We are not yet a censored state and should be able to engage in discussion with whom we choose. Nick Griffin on Question Time demonstrated just how thin the reasoning is for many of the opinions the BNP holds, and this was another opportunity to show how ridiculous many of their opinions were.

It is a shame the NUS are too near-sighted to realise these things.
    Even worse, the uni could get it just as cheap without the NUS...

ReputationRep:
    Even worse, the uni could get it just as cheap without the NUS...
    Then quite frankly I couldn't care less whether we're affiliated (providing my GBK 2-4-1 still works )

ReputationRep:
    I think that petition will happen - I wonder if we are allowed to do it online or something. Last time I looked we needed 250 signatures, but I am not sure what the rules are now...
    According to the current active petition, 'At least 529 are required for the petition to be accepted.'.

I believe Ben will shortly be receiving a petition proposal, which will be put online somewhere around the vote.dsu.org.uk site, but potentially not until Monday due to the administration of uploading it.

ReputationRep:
    16% of Durham Undergraduates are now part of a group protesting against the NUS response. Over 2000 people in under 24 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    According to the current active petition, 'At least 529 are required for the petition to be accepted.'.

I believe Ben will shortly be receiving a petition proposal, which will be put online somewhere around the vote.dsu.org.uk site, but potentially not until Monday due to the administration of uploading it.
    Probably will be on Monday then - I think ITS actually run and manage that website. As we all know, they go on strike over the weekend...

ReputationRep:
    I will vote for any disaffiliation from the NUS and will be attending the planned student protest. The idea that a group supposedly 'supporting' students could threaten such a large majority of students with physical violence is abhorrent and should be resisted at any cost.

Any UAF member (or otherwise) who decided that the BNP were a fascist organisation must surely have listened to their views in order to make such a judgement. And so to deny us the opportunity to listen to such views (for our safety??) implies that they are much more intelligent than us and that we would be unable to see the truth, and that it is for them to decide what is appropriate for us to hear?

If a protest march is organised it will undoubtedly be 'hijacked' by the BNP and what exactly will the left have achieved? Proof that censorship of ideas and beliefs are an integral part of 'multicultural Britain'.

I'm not an essentially political person but when a group of people tell me what I am unable to hear (due to my gullibility/idiocy?) and threatens violence if I don't comply; I will get involved and I believe this is the case with a number of people.

ReputationRep:
    a few excellent contributions by Mr Thomas Fletcher of St. Cuthberts Society.. http://lespenseesdefletch.posterous....esident-re-nus

I really support the position of the DUS and think that your students have a right to be totally enraged by the NUS's threatening intervention. There are clearly a few idiots at the top of this organisation now - they are meant to represent students views and yet they see at as their job to impose their views on students.. I would love to see the NUS crumble

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing's disgusting. I wonder, if we had the vote on whether to stay affiliated now (as supposed to whenever it was last term), if the result would be different? I for one don't want anything to do with an organisation that seems to think it's okay to bully its members into doing what it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    The whole thing's disgusting. I wonder, if we had the vote on whether to stay affiliated now (as supposed to whenever it was last term), if the result would be different? I for one don't want anything to do with an organisation that seems to think it's okay to bully its members into doing what it says.
    that is exactly why there is a call for another referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    that is exactly why there is a call for another referendum.
    I know - I really hope that there is.

I wonder how on earth the press haven't got hold of the whole thing? Anything about the BNP is news to the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I wonder how on earth the press haven't got hold of the whole thing? Anything about the BNP is news to the media.
    There are a few articles in local and regional newspapers, a few blogs and websites like stormfront have mentioned it. No "proper coverage" thought, certainly nothing in the national news that I've seen although this doesn't surpise me.

When they came to Durham and put up a stall a couple of years back, that create just as much fuss (maybe more) in the media and Internet peoples. Strange.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.