Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    There are a few articles in local and regional newspapers, a few blogs and websites like stormfront have mentioned it. No "proper coverage" thought, certainly nothing in the national news that I've seen although this doesn't surpise me.

When they came to Durham and put up a stall a couple of years back, that create just as much fuss (maybe more) in the media and Internet peoples. Strange.
    I'm just surprised that the national media hasn't picked it up to criticise the debate as a way of legitimising the BNP or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    This just made me infinitely more sad that I got rejected from Durham. Would have liked to have seen what they're going to say.
    In light of recent developments, I retract my previous statement.

ReputationRep:
    You can now sign the petition for another referendum at https://vote.dsu.org.uk/nuspetition/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    You can now sign the petition for another referendum at https://vote.dsu.org.uk/nuspetition/
    Done so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I'm just surprised that the national media hasn't picked it up to criticise the debate as a way of legitimising the BNP or something along those lines.
    I think it's bit of a dodgy issue as far as national media is concerned - no-one really wants to touch it for fear of being accused of giving the BNP publicity. No incentive to rock the boat.

ReputationRep:
    Well there is now going to be a referendum. Lets hope that people vote the right way this time...

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if this should be posted in this thread but...

Bomb scare in Durham? Anybody have any info?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but a friend's facebook status was
    "bomb was a hoax in Durham, don't worry the terrorists haven't announced a Jihad against Cotswold climbing shop...."

ReputationRep:
    what's happening with your EGM - deos this mean that the DUS could be defeated on majority and the debate may happen? or is it essentially a forum for people to let off some steam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    what's happening with your EGM - deos this mean that the DUS could be defeated on majority and the debate may happen? or is it essentially a forum for people to let off some steam?
    The latter.

Although there's an OGM this afternoon the feeling was that the matter was too big to be brushed aside at the beginning of the meeting, so an EGM was called in order to have a meeting where this was the central matter in order for people to ask the president etc any questions they felt were necessary.

Timing means I can't go though

ReputationRep:
    Well, here goes.

I wouldn't actually appreciate it very much if they came to Durham. As an international student I feel that the university would let me down a bit, by inviting people who essentially don't want me to be here? I've never been very fond of the NUS though, just to state that as well.

I think my opinion comes with me from the Netherlands. Do you guys know Geert Wilders? It's a politician who is on trial at the moment. The UK seems to think the trial is against freedom of speech... but that's not actually the case. He's on trial because he actively encourages hate against Muslims and has the power to influence people to do so. It really demonstrates the fine line between freedom of speech and actual abuse.

Now I don't think most people in Durham are stupid enough to be influenced by anyone or any party like that... but I am leaning towards setting some sort of a statement: we shouldn't want people to even try to do that, even if it won't work, and even if they're allowed to say whatever they like. They shouldn't associate Durham University with it.

Does that make sense? It's hard to express something like this, because I am definitely for freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    Durham University has nothing to do with this. The debate was organised by Durham Union Society, the debating society.

ReputationRep:
    I missed out on all of this at the time, so I've been catching up rapidly, and what better place to start than straight from the camp horse's mouth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJNm4v4Z2E#t=2m03s - I've started there because he's just given about 18 minutes of the most patronising twaddle, as you'd expect from a naive 12 year old but then it starts getting lively.

Forgetting all of the above debate in this and many other forums, what's done is done, and what's done is of huge damage to the NUS, but not entirely unexpected given their recent shameful history of support for violent antidemocracy groups like UAF.

No, what really beggars belief is that he still PRESIDENT of the NUS! I mean, seriously?! It beggars belief. If the NUS want to have any hope of rescuing this situation they need to sack him yesterday.
    Students are not as naive or stupid as the NUS believe - the debate sure showed that. One of my favourite bits was when a member of the LGBT group shouting at him "how DARE you use us as a scapegoat".

Little Wes is in for a big old shock when the real world hits him...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.