The Student Room Group

Tip on what can cure black rings round eyes, sleepiness, irritability and obesity

Hi, I've seen a lot of posts here recently that concern me because I think people lack some basic knowledge and might reach for the wrong solutions. I'm a cookery student who researches a lot into food so I feel an obligation to tell people what I know.

A lot more people are intolerant to wheat and cow's milk than realise it. British culture in general like most of European culture places a lot of importance on these foods even though they are not essential for anyone's diet.

For people who can't tolerate milk the problem is a protein in the milk called casein. For people who can't tolerate wheat the problem is gluten. It's a bit complicated to explain but gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin.

If your body can't tolerate gluten or casein well, then it will react in various ways. Common bad reactions are a bloated stomach, black rings around the eyes (looking like death heated up), constant tiredness, headaches, needing the toilet too much and it being painful and messy when you go. Other bad reactions are being thirsty a lot, sweating a lot and farting a lot.

So if you think you might be intolerant the best thing to do is to try not having anything with casein or gluten for a week or two. At first most people will get aggressive and have withdrawal symptoms from not having bread, pasta, cow's milk, cheese, yogurt and other foods containing gluten and casein. But the storm is worth weathering. On the other side you will feel better than you ever have.

What you choose to eat will obviously depend on your personal taste. Personally I've opted for more meals with potatoes, rice and corn flakes for breakfast with an alternative milk.

There's also another tip but more people will probably know about this one. For those of you who suffer from stomach aches, indigestion and bad migraines you probably need to stop eating or drinking anything with food additives. These are sometimes labeled with E-numbers or sometimes they are called things like "anti-caking agents" on the label.

The best large supermarket for food free from additives is Sainsbury's (much better than ASDA, Morrison's and Tesco - all pretty unreliable) but Waitrose, Mark's and Spencer's and the Co-Op are even better if you have access to those supermarkets and can afford them. I won't shop at my local ASDA or Morrison's anymore because it's impossible to buy many foods I want without food additives being added.

You need to be careful if you try this diet because food manufacturers are sneaky and put gluten and casein in many foods without you realising. Who would have guessed that Walker's Salt and Vinegar crisps have dried milk powder in them? Read the label carefully, they do. So I can't eat them and the only Walker's flavour I can eat is Ready Salted. Another example is baked beans. I can't eat most tinned baked beans because most of them add barley (which contains gluten because it's in the same grass family as wheat).

Well, hope I've helped some of you and remember these are just tips, nobody has the complete solution. Best of luck to you all. :smile:
Black rings around the eyes also associated with liver congestion.

Yoursbemineandminebeyours, judging by your informative post, I reckon you'd find the following podcast of worthwhile interest:

it's entitled 'Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride - Gut Fora & Healing with Animal Foods 09.14.09' and you can find it at the following link: ww.oneradionetwork.com/index.php?searchword=campbell-mcbride&option=com_search&Itemid=5 (you'll need to register but it's a no-nonsense site so don't be afraid to register - it literally only takes 20 seconds)

Latest

Trending

Trending