Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE English, should I try to improve my grade from C to A? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

I am currently in second year of A levels. When I did my GCSE's I had pretty decent grades in them except of English. I am more of a Science-Maths type of a guy, rather than English, courseworks, essay etc. My normal grade (in subjects I care about) is an A or a B.

I got A*'s from GCSE Maths, Additional Maths and Double Award Science

BUT I got a C from GCSE English.

And I had B in GCSE Literature.

I was going to repeat it earlier but I just couldn't be bothered with it as I really don't like it too much and it is quite a lot of work.

Do you think it would be worth a lot if I would get an A or a B from it instead of C ?

I think it would look much better on my CV as it is one of the most important subjects, in most of careers. I have done it almost 3 years ago and I didn't prepare for the test very well, I think that my English is a lot better now and if I would put the time and effort in now I could get A or at least B.
    I really have my last chance to repeat it in June this year..
    BTW I am planning to pursue a career in Actuarial Science or Finance, Banking and Insurance Industry, less likely option is Engineering...

ReputationRep:
    hiya,
    Well if i am honest i think that you should improve your grade, but it depends what you want to do after university and what course you want to do at university, the best advice i can give you is look at the university websitesand look at the entry requirements for the course you wish to do and make a decision from there.

xx
    Hope this helps xx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, even if you dont do an English related subject, English is still grade C minimum requirement, and to be competitive, you want to achive higher than the average. Particuarly if you do finance, you do have to do verbal reasoning etc. Seeing as this is your last opportunity to do it, you wouldnt want to later regret not doing it, you really might as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for advice...
    (Original post by mizz_confused)
    hiya,
    Well if i am honest i think that you should improve your grade, but it depends what you want to do after university and what course you want to do at university, the best advice i can give you is look at the university websitesand look at the entry requirements for the course you wish to do and make a decision from there.

xx
    Hope this helps xx
    I mention at the end I have applied to study Actuarial Science (Finance, Insurance, Economics and Risk management are parts of it).

I have received conditional offers from all universities that I have applied to, so I don't need to improve my grade in GCSE English to get accepted to university. I want to do it to improve look of my english ability on my CV, as that's the only real English qualification I have (if I don't count English literature).

(Original post by Chantelle38)
    Yeah, even if you dont do an English related subject, English is still grade C minimum requirement, and to be competitive, you want to achive higher than the average. Particuarly if you do finance, you do have to do verbal reasoning etc. Seeing as this is your last opportunity to do it, you wouldnt want to later regret not doing it, you really might as well.
    That's what I think as well.
    What puts me off a bit is that it requires quite some time and work put into it to get an A. Especially because there are 2 long tests worth 60% and coursework which is worth 40%.

One thing that scares me about those tests, are those 27 marks per one question. I dont like long questions in science either, but these are extremely long

Any more advice and opinions ?

ReputationRep:
    18 marks is based on the content, and 9 marks on the SPG (also varied punctuation e.g colons, semi-colons, exclamation marks etc.

Really, as long as you systematically include the different types of punctuation and CHECK your work, you should get a much higher mark.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, compared to A-levels, gcse english is piss easy. even if youre not that great at it. GCSE's tbh are tick the boxes type questions, a few key words and spell things correctly and youre ok. its worth the effort to better youre chances.

ReputationRep:
    Definately do it. I am doing the same thing aswell, it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chantelle38)
    Trust me, compared to A-levels, gcse english is piss easy. even if youre not that great at it. GCSE's tbh are tick the boxes type questions, a few key words and spell things correctly and youre ok. its worth the effort to better youre chances.
    TY
    Yeah, I noticed in my first year of doing A levels that they are so much harder than usuall GCSE's.
    But English GCSE is a bit different story, at least for me. I am planning to use CGP revision guide(as I always use them), along with "AQA Aiming for A* in GCSE English guide" and I will also try to do several past papers and get them marked by teacher.
    My big problem when writing the test is TIME. I seem to be unable to finish it in 1hour 45minutes, it usually takes me much longer
    However, that should improve with practice I presume.

(Original post by puma21)
    definitely do it. I am doing the same thing aswell, it's worth it.
    Thanks, but can you give some specific reasons why do you think it is worth it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfista)
    TY
    Yeah, I noticed in my first year of doing A levels that they are so much harder than usuall GCSE's.
    But English GCSE is a bit different story, at least for me. I am planning to use CGP revision guide(as I always use them), along with "AQA Aiming for A* in GCSE English guide" and I will also try to do several past papers and get them marked by teacher.
    My big problem when writing the test is TIME. I seem to be unable to finish it in 1hour 45minutes, it usually takes me much longer
    However, that should improve with practice I presume.

Thanks, but can you give some specific reasons why do you think it is worth it ?
    As a B is better than a C. But it proves to employers that you can write well rather than the national average.

ReputationRep:
    go for it most top uni want a B but they prefer a A in English Language, they don't care about literature

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.