Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I will apply for french and german during my gap year, so i will have my grades. As you can see from my sig, i have considered applying to cambridge but don't know a lot about oxford.

For cambridge, you must complete a questionnaire-type document called SAQ, where they will keep an account of EVERY retake you have done/every failed module etc,

I was wondering, can oxford see your retakes? When I apply, will oxford only see my final grades?

Thanks

PS. If anyone has any general advice about applying for languages at oxford, i would really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't any SAQ-like questionnaire or any additional questionnaire beyond UCAS actually. I don't know how much you have to declare on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Can you already speak German?

ReputationRep:
    ANY University has the ability of finding out if you've resat modules, in fact, more Universities have started doing it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einszweipolizei)
    Can you already speak German?
    No, sorry, on their website it said that you can start german from scratch if it's after a gap year. Anyway, it's either french and german, or french and beginner's russian, not 100% sure yet.

(Original post by Noble.)
    retakes
    Yes, but my question is, will they look them up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resume)
    No, sorry, on their website it said that you can start german from scratch if it's after a gap year. Anyway, it's either french and german, or french and beginner's russian, not 100% sure yet.

Yes, but my question is, will they look them up?
    Yes, if the course you're applying for is particularly competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Are you learning German currently? Because I don't think Oxford accepts ab initios for German.

ReputationRep:
    Are you learning German currently? Because I don't think Oxford accepts ab initios for German.
    Oh, I thought I read that they did if you were taking a gap year - i am sure i read this on their website ...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how taking a Gap Year should make a difference unless you plan to learn German to the necessary level during that year- I would email an admissions tutor and check. Also, the course is very literature-based throughout, so that's something key to mention in your personal statement. I don't have access to mine anymore as this is a new laptop! Have you read much French/ German literature (inc translations)? It might be worth doing so, part of the interview involves an analysis of a short piece of text in the language.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how taking a Gap Year should make a difference unless you plan to learn German to the necessary level during that year- I would email an admissions tutor and check. Also, the course is very literature-based throughout, so that's something key to mention in your personal statement. I don't have access to mine anymore as this is a new laptop! Have you read much French/ German literature (inc translations)? It might be worth doing so, part of the interview involves an analysis of a short piece of text in the language.
    Yes, sorry, my posts are not very clear. I plan on going to Berlin to study German. I did GCSE (during my AS year) and got an A* and am thinking of taking a german-proficiency test there. But I am still not 100% sure about German, Russian also interests me. I emailed an admissions tutor a couple of days ago, I haven't got a replied though

Yes, I have read a bit of french literature, but that's it ... I am going to start on some english translations of german/russian lit too.

And that's okay, thanks anyway ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok. A thing to bear in mind is that, if you do Russian, you spend your second year abroad as opposed to your third, which means you're separated from fellow linguists in your college for 2 years! I have to do the same because of Turkish, and I'm a bit sad about it!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok. A thing to bear in mind is that, if you do Russian, you spend your second year abroad as opposed to your third, which means you're separated from fellow linguists in your college for 2 years! I have to do the same because of Turkish, and I'm a bit sad about it!
    I don't think that should play a big part in her decision-making process, however, that does seem a little sad :cry:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.