Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Liverpool or Queen mary for law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which is better, im thinking it could be QM due to its location and amazing rankings in recent years, however its not a redbrick nor a russell group like liverpoool...

any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I would go to Liverpool. Queen mary is an overpopulated london uni. Teaching may not be quality there. Plus London is way more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    QM is rising in the rankings, has excellent pro bono opportunities, and the teaching is actually very highly thought of. I don't know much about Liverpool, but QM gets a lot of positive recognition these days.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary

Better work experience
    Good pro bono work
    I personally liked the campus as well

ReputationRep:
    QM > Liverpool for Law.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary for the win it seems.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Liverpool: redbrick, Russel Group.
    QM is good too, but I guess it's mainly because of its location in London, like someone has mentioned above, which can provide more job opportunities. Anyway, ur choice

ReputationRep:
    I go QM and I love it, teaching is excellent, support networks are also good, bear n mind QM is an up and coming uni, relatively new uni too. But defo QM

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary is good, however, being in London does NOT and i mean NOT equal better employment oppurtunities. haha just look at some uni's outside London, Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham??? Should I go to Brunel? or London Metropolitan or Thames Valley because they're in London??? and not everybody wants to work in a MC Law firm, so he may not even be interested in London. I think personally, the Universities are similar in reputation and both are great Law schools, base your choice on where you want to live and spend 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    liverpool

ReputationRep:
    QMUL. The opportunities to do pro bono work there are truly incredible, teaching really is very good apparently and it's most definitely an up and coming place that's improving in regard in leaps and bounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    QMUL. The opportunities to do pro bono work there are truly incredible, teaching really is very good apparently and it's most definitely an up and coming place that's improving in regard in leaps and bounds.
    after attending Liverpool's open day, I can tell you they too have excellent pro bono oppurtunities, and the teaching is top quality at Liverpool. Also, they have a system whereby in your second year you can work with a Solicitor or a Barrister and they give you advice on obtaining TC's and pupillages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDick*******)
    after attending Liverpool's open day, I can tell you they too have excellent pro bono oppurtunities, and the teaching is top quality at Liverpool. Also, they have a system whereby in your second year you can work with a Solicitor or a Barrister and they give you advice on obtaining TC's and pupillages.
    QM offer I believe it is 80 2nd and 3rd years a chance to work with solictors of set firms (I forget which) where people come in of the street and have a real legal problem. The students research it with the help of the solicitors and advise said person. So QM have just as good if not better opportunities

ReputationRep:
    of course QM... the department of law is really good..For me QM is not very good university but medicine and law are really good deprt... Also QM is a part of university of london, is in london ....:P

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary - because Bubbles*de*Milo goes there :yes:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, law recruiters prefer big name universities and know nothing about the rankings in the league tables so places like Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, UCL, Kings, Oxbridge, York, Durham etc regardless of their position in league tables are perceived favourably because they are traditional redbrick, ancient etc (apart from york i suppose in this example whoops).
    Partners in law firms have their own idea of where is good so I don't think it really matters, just go where you would prefer to be (i'd go where is easier to get a 1st as if you have a 1st or went to oxbridge almost guaranteed interviews).
    I wouldn't go to QM just because of league table position-they know nothing about them. One partner once said to me (when was saying was huge disadvantage not having gone to oxbridge) well at least you didn't go to lancaster!!Lancaster is in the top 10-15 Unis in the country so he was just going on the perceived reputation which is unfair but the reality.

ReputationRep:
    edited post

ReputationRep:
    QM by a country mile.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool by infinity to the power of infinity .

ReputationRep:
    I'll qualify my statement in light of the above - I didn't go to either of these unis, I've completed my degree; my level of bias is minimal. QM has notable staff - Alistair Hudson, Schiff and Nobles, Kate Malleson off the top of my head. I can't name anyone from Liverpool and I spent my life trawling Westlaw for three years. Second, QM has a good rep in the City and is known as being the best place for IP/commercial in the country, yes better than Oxford. Third, the Russell Group is just an organisation of big research unis - Durham isn't there either, and the University of London is probably a bigger brand name anyway. Fourth, QM is much harder to get into, both in terms of numbers applying and academic requirements. Yeah, but you can do whatever you want, I don't care, you're an autonomous being. Eat Pokemon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.